Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheNewJasonBourne t1_je5dl6c wrote

I think you need a small set of screw drivers of various sizes; a general hammer; a 3ft level and a 6" level; a stud finder that will locate wood studs and also wiring and water pipes; a cordless drill/driver; small pliers

Material_Community18 t1_je5kmcb wrote

Hammers can be overwhelming. Specially, you want a 14-18 oz finish hammer.

Assuming you live near a Home Depot, Ryobi power tools are good enough quality for a homeowner. A drill + impact driver set is a great value and will be invaluable.

sbrooks84 t1_je65vgf wrote

Ryobi was my first set for sure. When they broke, I replaced with better versions. Harbor Freight was a godsend for one-off projects

haxxer_4chan t1_je6l5id wrote

I'd add a utility knife, a cheapish ratchet set, and a set of metric and imperial allen wrenches to the above, and you'll be set to take on the vast majority of basic DIY projects and general things like furniture assembly for any new pieces

SNAiLtrademark t1_je5gpza wrote

Don't get a drill. Get an impact driver. They can both do the same things, but an impact driver's main job is putting in screws, which is 95% of what homeowners actually do.

−2

hank_scorpion_king t1_je5hxg1 wrote

Drill bits chucked in drivers drill shitty holes. Too much runout. You need a drill, particularly for things like pilot holes for wall anchors, etc.

SNAiLtrademark t1_je5pyei wrote

You can "drill" holes in drywall with a screwdriver and a hammer. If we were talking about woodworking, I'd agree; but this is homeowner stuff, they need to not over drive and strip screws more than clean holes.

−1

Thanatosst t1_je5zkr4 wrote

Drilling pilot holes in studs is 100% a thing someone wanting to hang things will need to do.

OP needs a drill first, impact driver later. Hell, I do a bunch of stuff around the house and in woodworking and I've gotten by without an impact driver.

hank_scorpion_king t1_je6m2ui wrote

Eh, fair point. But sometimes you need to pilot hole a stud (like for hanging a TV mount). Tapping in a hole with a screwdriver also sounds less than ideal. You might twist the shank when you strike and overbore the opening, get a loose fit, etc.

I bought the Dewalt drill/driver combo set like 10 years ago. $100 on sale, worth every penny. I'm sure B&D or Ryobi sells an even cheaper set.

jooes t1_je5xy0z wrote

I'd take a drill over a driver.

I'd rather have the chuck that can hold just about anything, than deal with a driver that can only hold certain kinds of bits. I feel like it gives you a bit more flexibility in what you can do. Sooner or later, you're going to need a holesaw or something, and you're going to find yourself saying, "Shit, I should've bought the drill"

Or just get both. They usually come in sets nowadays anyway. It's very convenient to have both.