Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DoubleDongle-F t1_jcw21l4 wrote

That's pretty normal. Replacing the affected sheet rock is how it's always gone on the job for me.

Sodinski t1_jcw2aeb wrote

God dammit.

But thank you :)

morinr t1_jcwcoux wrote

Last one I did tried that a bit. Was looking at patches and repairing. And just cut it as straight as I could. Then just replace with a rectangle of drywall. Less patching. Less work. And faster. Most importantly less dust everywhere.

SpagNMeatball t1_jcwg4lc wrote

Same here. Every time I have taken tile down I just assume I am replacing the drywall.

haus11 t1_jcwz2ll wrote

It’s way easier to take the whole piece and replace it and I hate drywall. Luckily, the mud job doesn’t need to be great. Just passable. Assuming you’re going to tile above the joint. It’s so much quicker than trying to carefully remove tile.

Baneken t1_jcxdsyj wrote

It's fairly straightforward with gyprock/sheetrock whatever the brand -it's all gypsum board anyway.

You can just cut a straight line with a sharp X-acto knife, remove the damaged part, smooth edges and fit in the new piece and the refinish the wall. No need to tear the whole wall down for a new sheet.

JeffBoBeff t1_jcwootz wrote

The best is when you spend 2 hours meticulously taking off a 2 ft x2 ft square then moving on to the next part just to realize the drywalls moldy anyways. I removed 4x as much tile and drywall in 10 minutes than I did in 2 hours.

kittenfordinner t1_jcx94bc wrote

It's often a good idea to save the time and re line at least part of that wall if not the whole wall

UseABiggerHammer t1_jcw2tdj wrote

I'd recommend just cutting the drywall around the tile now and that way you can break it all out in big chunks, and you control where the breakage is. Unfortunately you're seeing drawbacks of a tile job done well.

Likesitrough16 t1_jcw9q02 wrote

Yes, this! Put hardibacker up in it's place, and put new tile back up. You'll spend less time just tearing it all off then trying to be gentle and salvaging it.

Peopletowner t1_jcyhzz3 wrote

Yep, and then tile just a bit higher and you don't have to fuss with the seam.

ramarilla t1_jcw8yo4 wrote

NEED TO REPLACE ALL SHEET ROCK AND INSTALL CEMENT BOARD ON SHOWER

jankyj t1_jcx6x4h wrote

Did you look at the photos? This isn’t a shower.

ramarilla t1_jd0ltr2 wrote

I did not take a look @ fotos . My bad 🥴

corporaterebel t1_jcxdvox wrote

OK, then just replace the drywall with cement board.

Doesn't matter if shower or not.

−1

bms42 t1_jd0mpvz wrote

There's no reason to use cement board on a backsplash.

corporaterebel t1_jd19ihj wrote

Any water seepage and you have to redo the job.

I guess it depends on how long you want the job to last.

soffo_moric t1_jcw3vho wrote

I’m in the middle of remaking my master bathroom that has a wall of tile 4’ high around the whole room. My only option is to rip out the drywall and reinstall it.

Signiference t1_jcwebkw wrote

Like others have said, stop removing individual tiles. Instead, cut all the drywall and it’ll take the tile with it still attached. Instead of replacing with new drywall, replace with hardibacker instead.

dustabor t1_jcwbnkf wrote

I had a similar issue recently. Our kitchen only had tile behind the stove and the sink. When we started our remodel it was impossible to get it off without destroying the Sheetrock so we decided to just cut around the tile with an oscillating tool and replace the Sheetrock sections.

Jkjunk t1_jcx3n0h wrote

Don't take the tile down. Take the sheet rock down. Just cut above and below the tile and pull the whole thing down.

Academic_Nectarine94 t1_jcx3nxq wrote

Just get a multi tool and cut off the drywall above the tile. Then pull it off the wall. At least then you have a pre determined line to fix. The way it is now, you'll have to do that anyway, but without any guide, and with way more damage to surrounding areas, likely.

LaszloKravensworth t1_jcxo41o wrote

If the tile/mortar isn't taking the sheet rock off with it, it probably should have come off and been redone anyway.

Squirrelherder_24-7 t1_jcw4z6w wrote

Since it’s in a wet area, you could cut a little more out and replace it with ToughRock mold and moisture resistant sheet rock….I guarantee your builder didn’t use it.

whateveryouwant4321 t1_jcw7gqv wrote

I’ve had good results by scoring the tile and cutting into the grout around each tile before removing it. The idea is to provide less surface area for adhesion before prying it out, so it takes less drywall with it.

Sodinski t1_jcwbt4o wrote

What did you use for that? A dremel or something?

whateveryouwant4321 t1_jcwjdbk wrote

Ive weakened the grout with a handheld grout saw, then I’ve used the chisel that you have pictured along with a hammer to chisel the grout out.

Then slowly chisel the tile from multiple sides and gradually angle the chisel outward to apply force. If you use a lot of force with an outward angle to pry the tile out, you’ll take a lot of wallboard with it. You want to chisel between the tile adhesive and drywall all the way down/across the tile until it just falls off.

jsm7464 t1_jcwdvbe wrote

They make a new tile backer board. It cuts like drywall. It should make your repair easier. It comes in 1/2 & 5/8” and it’s available in 4’ x 8’ sheets. It’s the same deal as densglass. Only, it’s made for tile imstallation

fredsam25 t1_jcx0oqc wrote

If the sheetrock comes off easy, then it should be pulled off and replaced. You're getting a two for one with this job.

fenristhebibbler t1_jcxqcm0 wrote

Good glue is usually stronger than the two surfaces it holds together, so yep, you're gonna take some wall. Just replace that section.

Que_Ball t1_jcwg9wn wrote

Drywall is incredibly cheap.

Who cares. Rip it all off.

bciesil t1_jcwkpen wrote

Same exact thing happened to me when I did my backsplash.

Still_Two_2013 t1_jcwlpgr wrote

Easiest way to remove tile is to just cut the drywall out in sections, easier to move 5 big chunks then 1000 tiny pieces, then just replace the drywall and mud it

ironwheatiez t1_jcwwgav wrote

Just removed the tile in our kitchen. I just sledgehammered it and ripped the whole drywall sheet with it. Much easier to tape and mud a large patch than whatever your plan was.

horridgoblyn t1_jcwxhdd wrote

Cut out the sheet around the tile then cut it back to the center of the nearest studs, hang new sheet, and tape it. If this is a wet area in your bathroom you might want to use waterboard rather than regular sheetrock.

crashorbit t1_jcx1gx8 wrote

You can do a little better with an oscillating multi tool. You'll still have a lot of cleanup and repair after the tile is down.

[deleted] OP t1_jcx72r8 wrote

That’s when you simply tile over tile.

stonehawk61 t1_jcxkp8x wrote

Yes I would remove the sheetrock with tile attached. Much easier for demo and replacement. The amount of effort required repair the nasty mess of holes and rough surfaces while maybe not a daunting task, would likely result in an uneven finish causing your new tile to bulge and ripple.

Roonieroo1 t1_jcxm312 wrote

Ditto on cutting it out- nice Mud job, and no signs will show

Stock_Mortgage1998 t1_jcy5kk2 wrote

I took some off last week. Massive hole with one tile then I used hammer and flat screwdriver and they came off with no issues

neytiri10 t1_jcydg4p wrote

This happened to me removing what I thought was wall paper. I kept thinking this is crazy that the plaster is coming with it. Once I took a closer look, they put the wall paper up with floor adhesive. The plaster didn't stand a chance.

BaltimoreBanksy t1_jcyjady wrote

Cut the whole thing out. Then you’ll have straight lines when you go to replace the sheet rock. It’s also faster.

Creepingsword t1_jcynb03 wrote

Drywall is $20 for a 4x8 sheet. Only way you can remove tile without damaging the drywall is if they were installed poorly. But you won’t be that lucky.

carthous t1_jcwfhb9 wrote

what....? do you think tiles are put on like lego? of course its going to damage the wall behind it.

−6

user060221 t1_jcwg78n wrote

No need to be a prick, OP was asking if there was a better way to go about it because the damage was more than they expected.