Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hyperdream t1_jdf3q42 wrote

Besides being too close to a structure?

frzn_dad t1_jdfb7y2 wrote

Or really anything flammable. Trees, dry grass, etc.

Llien_Nad t1_jdfmgqn wrote

Wooden siding less than 4’ from a fire? OP, I wouldn’t burn much more than twigs in there, and never if there is any wind. Ask me how I know lol 🔥🔥🔥

theonewhoexists OP t1_jdfqp08 wrote

… did your house burn down?

Also it’s a fence and not the house. Anyways, my experience with fires are campfires at campsites and I’ve never had any issues with large sparks or the fire getting out of control.

Would you think that a solo stove would be a better solution in the same location or 2 ft over?

dinglebaron t1_jdgce2o wrote

Yes that’s too close to a fence. Dry cedar would go up like a matchstick with the right conditions. I’ve seen neighbors clad their wooden fence with cheap metal siding which helps.

R_Harry_P t1_jdhwk4d wrote

That's not a fence, that's extra fire wood.

YamahaRyoko t1_jdimism wrote

Its technically against fire code in most states as well. I think in my state its 15' from any wooden structures including fence.

Aside from that, it doesn't look dangerous to use. I don't think pavers would explode like river rocks, and MANY people build firepit out of the bricks, blocks and pavers found at Home Depot

theonewhoexists OP t1_jdf7vkr wrote

Yeah definitely not ideal but the yard is small so it’s not possible to be 10ft away from structures. It could be a bit further from the fence but then it would block the path of travel so I can see why the previous owner chose the current location.

I personally planned to get a portable gas fire pit (the ones you can take camping during an early stage fire ban) but since the house came with this pit I feel like it’d be a waste to not use it especially if I’m really only looking to build a fire the size of those portable ones

−1

Whiskeyisamazing t1_jdgc8j2 wrote

Check your state/city ordinances. In my city, a portable fire pit must be 15 feet from any structure or overhanging hazard (tree branch/power lines, hence why we call it the 15-foot cubed rule. 15 feet in all directions, including up.)

Now, to be fair, you'll probably never get called out on it. Sort of like operating a grill on a deck, which is also not allowed.

The issue is if there ever is a fire and your insurance company sends a private fire inspector and they see a portable fire pit with nowhere to legally deploy it, they are going to deny the claim. Then you just eat the full costs. This is from a fire starting outside. If your furnace blows up, they won't care about the fire pit

Mooseymax t1_jdh1c55 wrote

Interesting, in the UK, they recommend 10ft from a building but this is purely a recommendation and I don’t believe there is any hard and fast rule in place.

DogyKnees t1_jdhtnqp wrote

"At least 6 inches from fireworks, ammo, and powder storage. But it's not a code, it's more like a guideline." --Cap'n Barbossa

Whiskeyisamazing t1_jdijlau wrote

You guys don't have some sort of national fire council that issues recommendations? In the US, we have the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) that issues recommendations as they are not law makers. Basically, every state/city adopts those recommendations as building code.

Edit 1. I apologize I was wrong. The NFPA is a global organization. I've only interacted with NFPA for certs and building codes. I didn't realize they do more than just the US.

https://www.nfpa.org/About-NFPA#:~:text=The%20National%20Fire%20Protection%20Association,fire%2C%20electrical%20and%20related%20hazards.