Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jjchuckles t1_itv0ykl wrote

At some point, usually when you start doing it regularly and with such quality, it stops being diy and starts being artisanal.

dugopark t1_itv843u wrote

Lol, opened up to say exactly this. This is pro level work now. DiY’d by a pro. OP needs to start tagging these DBaP.

Alis451 t1_itzbqh0 wrote

Hah, me too, she is on here a lot with excellent quality work, though she does show all the steps and isn't using any fancy tools, these are all hand crafted with simple steps, just very high quality.

Elledawg OP t1_ituwcmm wrote

I also made a 1-minute video about it here: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yqU6-ND2xwo

Eve_newbie t1_itvaxc9 wrote

I thought I had seen you before, you turned me onto the recycled leather Facebook group. Thank you!

I haven't had time to start my leather working journey yet, as I'm too deep into other projects, but soon I'm looking to get started.

Elledawg OP t1_itzxzry wrote

Haha yep that’s me! Hope you’re able to get some good leather in that fb group!

Xellotath t1_itvhbgl wrote

Beautiful work! I just don't like every enhanced sound. I had to turn the video off because it was like nails on a chalkboard.

TheSinningRobot t1_itvucf6 wrote

I have no interest in purses, or leather working in general, but I still always love reading through your posts. Great work as always.

vomeronasal t1_itv73v7 wrote

That looks great! I’m just getting into leather work myself and this is really inspirational.

Edit: I appreciate that you showed the design process so we can see not only how you made it but how you created the pattern.

Elledawg OP t1_itzx6we wrote

This makes me so happy to read! I hope you enjoy it and make some cool things

qub3r t1_itvclsx wrote

Your stuff is so cool. Everytime you post it makes me want to get into leather working. You have advice for how to get started? What tools would I need to do some basic projects: belt or knife sheath?

Frozty23 t1_itwxj1c wrote

> Everytime you post it makes me want to get into leather working.

Everytime she posts I wish I were half that good at something, anything.

Elledawg OP t1_itzxtsg wrote

Thanks! Advice: just try it out and don’t be discouraged when the first couple of projects turn out badly, it’s part of the process! For tools, a rotary cutter or exactly knife will suffice to start out. You will also want to get a pricking iron to make stitching holes. I made a video a while back where I share the tools I use. I would link it here but I think it’s against the sub rules. My YouTube channel is linked in my Reddit profile tho. Good luck! Also, since you want to make a belt or knife sheath, I recommend using veg tan leather. It’s thicker and stiffer and easier to work with than chrome tan

qub3r t1_iu5uax8 wrote

Thank you for the reply! The video is exactly what I was looking for. I see you even have a video for a belt!

For anyone who's curious, I found the video by searching "Ling Chang leather tools".

joestaff t1_itv21zj wrote

If you added a layer of orange then yellow to the velvety part, you could easily convert it to a narly hotrod-fire look. 🔥

houtinhand t1_itva1sx wrote

Brilliant work indeed!

Frosty-Wave-3807 t1_itvqujn wrote

Beautifully done. I like the attention to detail, and I like how you left this one unlined because the inside drip sewing line does look very cool. Love the shape of this bag too, mini totes are fun! The long chain strap is sexy with the metal feet, love it that way!

johnnySix t1_itw8str wrote

Very cool. I learned a lot. But I do have a question. How do you pre-make the holes for the leather before the hand stitching?

cjyoda78 t1_itwrgua wrote

There's tools called leather punches that let you punch in all shapes and sizes

Elledawg OP t1_itzy5gs wrote

It’s called a pricking iron! The one I use is by the brand Seiwa

QuieroAlcapurrias t1_ituwot6 wrote

I love this so much! It turned out amazing. Thank you for being so detailed too 🙂

kitkatbay t1_itvaxeg wrote

That is beautiful! Super jelly.

The_Kestrel_of_Doom t1_itwdjan wrote

Firstly, as a 50+ guy who has never had a 'purse' (we call them handbags here in the UK), that is a very fetching one. It is amazing!

Secondly, I've just bought a '50 piece leather working tool kit' on Amazon. It arrived yesterday. I want to make my cat a bespoke collar. I know the Amazon kit is probably cheap Chinese trash, but I didn't want to spend a fortune for a cat collar. If I can make it, I can then make other things too. I bought a very cheap real leather belt from a thrift shop, to use as my initial leather for the cat collar.

I'll look at your links on your profile, but is there a good Youtube channel you'd recommend for novice leather workers?

Alis451 t1_itzbycx wrote

> is there a good Youtube channel you'd recommend for novice leather workers?

I mean she posts her own working videos, you can watch them for tips as she isn't doing anything special, basically just scissors and a punch, she is just really good at it.

Elledawg OP t1_itzyjp6 wrote

Thank you! My favourite channel is Hahns Atelier. His craftsmanship and video editing is out of this world. I also watched Little King Goods when I started out. And I have a YouTube channel too with some beginner videos. I’d recommend the video on tools and the card wallet which explains how to do a saddle stitch

amygad t1_ituy3vs wrote

Amazing! That looks like a lot of bloody work (pun intended) but so worth it.

ZeroVoltLoop t1_itvcdaj wrote

Have you ever considered stropping your xacto blade on a piece of leather every minute or so? Should keep it sharp through the whole set of cuts.

Elledawg OP t1_itzyyvn wrote

I will try this! Thank you for the tip :)

tenkohime t1_itvjbwb wrote

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the process.

Smarty_40 t1_itvwecf wrote

Well, this is so cool. Forget Halloween, I'd buy this just because.

NightSalut t1_itwtlmw wrote

Okay, now I really want one. Ever plan to start a small business and sell anything like this?

Elledawg OP t1_itzylcf wrote

That’s for sure my dream one day, hopefully soon!

NightSalut t1_iu01e2x wrote

You have lots of creative talent and I hope to buy one of your bags one day!

guinnypig t1_itxa17v wrote

Seriously, you're so talented!

But I wanna see your plants. 200! 😳

Elledawg OP t1_itzysno wrote

Hahaha it’s a lot…. I have pics of them on my plant Instagram. You can probably find it through my main Instagram account which is linked in my Reddit profile

8ist_throwaway t1_itxlk58 wrote

Your enthusiasm is INFECTIOUS! Beautiful work

Valalvax t1_itvzgrc wrote

I love your quirky attitude, even though sewing and leather working aren't something that interests me I wound up reading the entire thing.

And I even accidentally learned stuff... I like the little 45s you cut out of the handles so they wouldn't bunch up on the rings

Elledawg OP t1_itzz3fl wrote

Oooh yes haha the chamfers! Thank you for your lovely comment 😊

BirdsLikeSka t1_itw4d9g wrote

It's so rich, the colors and the texture contrast are great!

mad_fishmonger t1_itwf7zk wrote

That's really cute and a very clever design

Queen_of_Hearts t1_itwkyjx wrote

This looks amazing!!! Great job and beautiful work, this is perfect for Halloween but I’d use it year round!

Snicklefitz65 t1_itwnpfd wrote

I don't even think it's that Halloween but I absolutely love it.

Mediumokrahmom t1_itww3rh wrote

I love this bag so much, but I love the happiness you exuded talking about it on Imgur even more 😭❤️

Humorii t1_itx0168 wrote

This is so clean and I love the style! It's so beautifully crafted.

Also your calatheas are immaculate and thrips are the spawn of Satan.

Elledawg OP t1_itzz6zq wrote

Thank you! And yes ugh the battle with thrips has been HELL

MusclePussy t1_itx0mw2 wrote

You are amazing! I just followed you on here and instagram. I’ve always wanted to DIY leather items. You’re very inspirational

Elledawg OP t1_itzzaaq wrote

Thank you!! I hope you get around to making your own leather goods, it’s sooo fun

etopata t1_itx2u70 wrote

Bloody brilliant

tainbo t1_itxc1jd wrote

Awesome work! Now I want this purse lol.

dbottm4fun t1_itxr4hy wrote

Very nice and you’re very talented. The blanket, the purse are both A+++. I’m not big on pumpkins but your white ones blew me away. I like a lot. They are also A++++. Thanks for sharing.

Elledawg OP t1_itzzfu3 wrote

I love the white ones too! Thank you for all the A’s hahaha

Build68 t1_itxuysc wrote

Pretty cool, pretty pretty cool.

jaseinyoface t1_itxye83 wrote

Whoah, pretty sure it’s you but I think I very recently saw a vlog you did during a visit to Amsterdam o.O

Elledawg OP t1_itzzq45 wrote

LOL yes!! That is also me, I guess the internet is a small place! I love Amsterdam

jaseinyoface t1_iu7cvbj wrote

Haha truly! Good stuff! Definitely useful for my upcoming trip so thank you!

Wasabiranch t1_ity4fwc wrote

"If you know anything about SF sidewalks you wouldn't have picked it up..." LOL I lived there six years, you're crazy girl hahaha. Beautiful purse! 😘

jato900 t1_ityaety wrote

It looks really good, great work.

thaeyo t1_ityf1ea wrote

Period purse.

Jk, it’s cool.

Icy-Letterhead-2837 t1_ityv2h1 wrote

You're the same lady who made that laptop cover for your partner, yeah?

paintednova t1_itzdgwm wrote

This is incredible!!!! I thought you added blood to a designer purse till I saw the process photos! Simply stunning!

hmm-bugger t1_itvqhtj wrote

That is very very cool, wow you've got some talent!

princesscatling t1_itwzz1u wrote

This is amazing. I love it. And your whole vibe and enthusiasm makes me want to try out leatherworking too!*

* maybe when I have less projects in my WIP list.

Elledawg OP t1_itzzx8a wrote

Dooo it! You won’t regret it. Getting into leather working has been one of the best decisions I’ve made

bunskerskey t1_itxwyr4 wrote

I'm also an amateur leather worker, so I really enjoyed your process photos. Beautiful bag!!! 🩸🩸🩸🩸

Elledawg OP t1_itzzzi6 wrote

Thank you! What kinds of things do you make?

bunskerskey t1_iu2qgqd wrote

Mostly smaller utility items - belts, wallets, flashlight or Leatherman holders for belts. I've also made parasol holders and a skirt.

PositivelyEzra t1_ityclri wrote

Not the first time I've seen you pop up here. Always love to see it. You look so genuinely happy about it. It's nice to see.

loudnjoyful t1_iu5uixr wrote

Initially I skipped this because I thought it was an ad. Quality work, so cool!!!

scubawankenobi t1_itw8dqw wrote

Pro Tip: If u let the cow skin dry-off first after cutting, you can scrape the blood off & dye it different colors.

−3

SainT462 t1_itxk6hy wrote

Making things out of the skin of once living things is weird

−4

espiritu29 t1_itymul2 wrote

What's so special about some women making an ugly bag? I see that kind of stuff in Chicago all the time. People Re creative, amazing artist and don't always have to be needing a reward for stuff that's done on the normal

−4

Psycheau t1_ity7235 wrote

The dead do not bleed? How is this relevant? They cannot cut you with a knife either so what has the blood got to do with it? Just a karmafarmer hey?

−7

[deleted] t1_itv6vu2 wrote

[removed]

−20

[deleted] t1_itv9rsa wrote

[deleted]

[deleted] t1_itvqzru wrote

[removed]

jakkarth t1_itzddcz wrote

Agreed. If you see sexual harassment in either direction, please use the report button to bring it to the attention of the moderators. We don't tolerate it regardless of who the target is.