Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GideonD t1_ixj7yy6 wrote

It's most likely cut too tight around the edges. Removing the base and cutting the gap should help. It's the house that expands and contracts around the floating floor. The structure of the house is wood. You can also have this issue if he pulled a classic builder move and set heavy appliances and cabinetry on top of the floor. This type of floor should be cut around cabinet, not have them sit on top to pin it in place. Areas where heavy appliances are to be installed should be area glued down while the rest of the floor is allowed to float.

Looking at the photo, you may need some extra material to fix it. That looks like it has sheered the tongue off the sides of the boards.

MotherofTerrier OP t1_ixjbs0o wrote

Thank you so much for the reply and luckily we have a few extra boxes of the planks. I have a feeling everything you said is spot on and exactly why Reddit is so helpful. Edit: What tool would you use to cut the expansion gap? I was thinking of using an oscillating tool with a flush cut blade.

bms42 t1_ixklig4 wrote

Actually he's quite incorrect in one of his points, which is another example of something Reddit is good at- misinformation. Your house does not expand or contract around your floor. It's the floor that changes size due to temperature changes.

That said he's right that cutting in an expansion gap is a good solution, just not for the reason he gives.

MotherofTerrier OP t1_ixl3a1f wrote

Thank you. What would you use to cut the expansion gap?

bms42 t1_ixl7i7r wrote

I'm not sure, kind of a weird scenario. An oscillating tool would work but it'd be slow. A biscuit joiner might actually work well, although it's not meant for that purpose. Not sure how the blade or motor would stand up to that kind of usage.

bms42 t1_ixkl7at wrote

>It's the house that expands and contracts around the floating floor. The structure of the house is wood.

This isn't actually the case. Wood only expands/contracts perpendicular to its grain. Your house is framed such that it's effectively stabilized from such movement.