Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Warlord68 t1_iyd1wmu wrote

“One wire is live and the other becomes live when the switch is turned on” this person doesn’t understand basic current flow. Not everyone should do home repairs.

−14

TexasTornadoTime t1_iyd36hg wrote

At worst they get a very minor shock… while electricity is dangerous it is very very hard to seriously injure yourself messing with the wires at this point. Only if you both have a serious heart condition and touch it in such a way that caused that electricity to travel past your heart just right. Both not likely.

Redditors get too fixated on safety rather than help solve the problem. It’s r/DIY not ‘r/callaprofessional’

If you’re that concerned for safety, educate on what they need to do to protect themselves rather than just say call a professional. Defeats the whole purpose of the sub.

dorsalispedis t1_iyd7w7z wrote

While I agree people can be taught to work on their home in a safe manner without calling a professional, it’s dangerous to say that getting shocked is essentially not dangerous (at worst they get a very minor shock). You don’t have to have a heart condition for this to seriously hurt or kill you. Of course, most people that get shocked don’t get seriously injured, otherwise I’d have a lot more electrical injuries in the ER, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t treat residential electrical as something that can kill you.

TexasTornadoTime t1_iydcilt wrote

Okay sure but my point still stands this sub is diy not call a professional. More effort needs to be placed on that and how to work safely rather than just say pawn off the job.

relephants t1_iydjf6z wrote

This is a perfect description for UK lightning as its a loop at the light. One wire is always live and the other is controlled by the switch.

So tell us, what was wrong with his description?