Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Academic_Nectarine94 t1_j27cwbk wrote

I think the lesson to ne learned here is to NEVER buy another tool at Walmart that is a Walmart brand, or at all.

Ryobi is great for the money, and you can get bits and things from them, Dewalt, Milwaukee, or makita easily. Bit more money, but you wouldn't have any of the issues you did today.

Also, get an impact driver. They have more torque, don't strip out screws, and are all around better at screw related tasks than drills. Drills are best for drilling holes, but if you're really tight on money CAN be used for screws. They just need a lot more care to work with.

Edit: solution to your problem: get a ryobi drill, a good bit the size you need, and a pack of screws (preferably 2.5" Spax or GRK). Move the mounting point up or down 4" from where you wanted it, and redo it. Patch the place this disaster happened with drywall mud (can get some nice drywall patch from 3M. Fast drying, and is color coded so you know that it is dried.)

Pussycat-Papa t1_j28e0mz wrote

Ryobi guy here. Their bits are trash. Get dewalt or Milwaukee bits

Academic_Nectarine94 t1_j28pub0 wrote

Yeah, now that I'm thinking, I remember they are LOL. Their bit holders are supposed to be good, though, so you could try them.

Pussycat-Papa t1_j2ai58l wrote

Tools are a great bang for the buck. Nothing compares at that price. Bits are absolute shit.

I would also stress to a new diy person that an impact driver is only as good as your bits and hardware. They can tear right thru crappy hardware that often comes included with products. Either stripping or snapping in half. Also there is usually no torque setting so an inexperienced person may go way too deep.

Academic_Nectarine94 t1_j2aima4 wrote

True, but you have to learn all of it. Drills are nice if you have a lot of the same thing to screw down. And anything that comes with a product I buy almost always goes in the trash so I forgot about that aspect LOL

ClumsyRainbow t1_j2d6pro wrote

Their bits might suck but I did manage to pick up one of their sets for cheap on a sale and for the odd time I need something that I don't otherwise have they are useful.

huongdaoroma OP t1_j2blnao wrote

Would the Dewalt DW1361/DW1354 Drill bit set + DWA2T40IR Impact set be compatible with Ryobi ONE+ Drill and Impact (P1817)?

huongdaoroma OP t1_j27ekmo wrote

Thanks! Exactly what I needed

Academic_Nectarine94 t1_j27kmav wrote

Welcome. Hopefully your walmart thing is still in its return policy, but even I'd it's not, you could ask a manager for a refund under warranty (do so nicely, catching flies with honey and all that.) Even a cheapo drill like that should be able to drive a screw into a stud.