Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Kesshh t1_j29x9ye wrote

If you just need to connect them and the joint doesn't need to take any load, you can get joint plates and nail them together, no?

HawrdRawk OP t1_j29yk64 wrote

That's what I'm thinking. There's no load at the joint

Spinaccio t1_j29uimg wrote

Google “scarfed lap joint”.

GrimResistance t1_j2dpwol wrote

Good luck getting 20' out of two 10' pieces with a lap joint

JonJackjon t1_j29s3xo wrote

Why not use two 2 x 4 Screwed together?

HawrdRawk OP t1_j29uqke wrote

I've considered this as well. I suppose it would be just as strong?

JonJackjon t1_j2affwu wrote

I believe it would be just as strong, maybe stronger since the grain is different on each 2 x 4. I wouldn't recommend it for outdoors but if you were to sandwich a piece of 3/4 plywood between the 2 x 4 it will be super strong.

athermalwill t1_j2b8vo1 wrote

Lap joint two 12 foot 4x4s. Overlap them by 2 feet and use 4 GRK structural screws in each one.

ClnHogan17 t1_j2brf2p wrote

Make a 4x4 beam out of 2x4’s screwed together side-by-side. One side is (2) 10’ lengths, the other side is a 5’, a 10’, and another 5’

rededelk t1_j2chs22 wrote

Make custom gluelams. Plywood or something sandwiched between 2x4 s.. Glue and nail. Stuff is strong af

InterestingTruth7232 t1_j2apjc7 wrote

They will just be skids under your 2X deck? Then whatever you do is fine. Scab with 2x4 both sides of you want. You probably don’t have to do anything. Toenail a couple 5” exterior screws if your feeling generous

209Havok t1_j2aqtim wrote

Simpsom Strong-Tie will have some options. You can find Simpson stuff at Lowes/Home Depot and proper lumberyards.

BC4Z (ZMSX for outdoors)

It's described as a post cap but it will work fine with no load.

p0diabl0 t1_j29u46j wrote

Nothing is going to be as good as a real 20 footer. A real lumber yard, not a Home Depot/Lowes, should have 20 ft 4x4s.

If I had no choice I would use the longest 2x4s I could find to overlap two sides of the 4x4s. Screw and glue.

SignalIssues t1_j2diu3t wrote

Totally unnecessary for a shed base. No need for 20 footers. Heavier, less weirdly, harder to transport. No thanks.

Fmlyhmalm t1_j2dfho4 wrote

Chisel out an hourglass on two opposite sides glue with elmers wood glue, drill 1” hole in center of two pieces ,install 1” dowel peg in center, and put together. Then install hourglass-shaped pegs (with glue) on each of the two places where they adjoin. They will likely never come undone

CaringAnon t1_j29x52a wrote

I would put a concrete block under the ends, but also another one on each side fairly close to the joint so that the joint itself supports as little weight as possible.

I would also make sure the 4x4's are as dry as possible (in the sun for a few days) and get a couple tubes of construction adhesive and a box of 4" screws. Sandwich each side of the joint with long 2x4's, using a liberal amount of glue, and then a screw every 6" in an offset zigzag (1" from the top, then 6" further, 1" from the bottom, etc). Let it dry fully before attempting to put any stress on it.

−3