Submitted by Glittering-Island202 t3_zszoj8 in DIY

My home has a large 8' front door with a leaded glass insert that was recently shattered by a ball. It broke one of the sections of glass and I am looking for suggestions on the best way to get it fixed.

Here are the options that I see as replacing the entire section is way out of our price range:

• Find a window repair shop that specializes in stained and leaded glass
  • Replace the door glass with clear glass and do not match the sidelights
  • Replace just the door and attempt to find the closest door to match

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://preview.redd.it/0gl9x1dl6j7a1.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=06796bfe09349806b671595d1fb9b07ee4677e92

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Stellar-Polaris t1_j1b5htw wrote

I would try Google maps to see if there are any glass repair places near you. You could show them a photo and get a quote.

jerry111165 t1_j1b73wd wrote

The whole window is going to have to be removed and will need to be repaired at a reputable stained glass shop. Generally, each of those pieces in the door is installed using what is known as either lead or brass “came”. It looks like an I-beam or picture an “H” on its side so that the individual pieces of glass can slide into both sides and then the joints are soldered.

Wont be a cheap fix, I’m afraid.

Alternative_Arm_2583 t1_j1b7pjy wrote

In SF people will come and do the work on site, nice door. get some quotes!

1998f1504x4 t1_j1bd4we wrote

Beautiful piece, I feel like you gotta get a pro in there and get it repaired in a manner fitting the overall quality.

03223 t1_j1blu20 wrote

While I'm NOT suggesting you DIY it.. But as a guy who did some stained glass work 50 years ago as a hobby, side income... It really isn't all THAT hard. Put word out (craigslist?) looking for someone who has done stained glass work. (And see some of their work, don't just take their word that they can do it!) Or just find a repair shop that does them. As others have said, nice door/entryway. It deserves to get fixed, not swapped out for some ugly door/window.

Graflex01867 t1_j1bnxk6 wrote

The only real answer is finding a place that can do a proper stained glass repair. That is one substantial entryway setup.

I suppose you could get away with a clear panel, but it would still look a bit out of place.

You’ll never get a close enough match with a new door (AND new matching glass) so don’t even try.

Somerset76 t1_j1c4815 wrote

Find a stain glass person who specializes it repair. My mom had a similar issue once and found it was most cost effective

Kaosinor t1_j1eow0o wrote

They only need to fix that one section. I had it done and it wasn't that much. Much less expensive than replacing the door.

nautme t1_j1gphch wrote

I agree about contacting a reputable stained glass shop. It's likely a special glass, maybe something from DelphiGlass.com (not just plain window glass) and needs to be matched. They'll know what it is.

The repair itself may not be that expensive, they'll un-solder the corner joints to get to get the replacement in. Not a pricey repair.

To OP, I don't suggest trying to remove the window yourself, it needs to be supported just right as it is tipped out or you'll break more of it. The service visits to remove and replace the window may cost more than the actual repair. Overall, it should be some hundreds of dollars. I don't think you'll be happy with a clear glass replacement for the panel, and a new door is overkill.