Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dr_xenon t1_izevejp wrote

So the splices were part of the installation, not previous repairs? If the water is under the electric I wouldn’t go poking with metal rods.

Call your water company. They have listening devices that can hear water leaks underground. They may be able to help - but since it’s on your line, not theirs they may not be allowed to. If they can’t they can probably give you another company.

6’ is deep for a water line unless you have a really deep frost line.

JayStar1213 t1_izff7mp wrote

5' is code in Northern MN, Ottawa is basically 6' but I agree. That is very deep, probably has more to do with savings on digging one deeper trench to install water + electrical than having to do with the frost line

Llohr t1_izh70as wrote

From Northern MN down to Nebraska the vast majority of water lines I've worked around have been more than 5' deep.

Code is probably 5' minimum but it's normal to be below that, often well below that.

Direct-Effective2694 t1_izh7oge wrote

Here in Metro Detroit it’s all 5’6. Some places further north are 6’ and 6’6.

JayStar1213 t1_izhbdrr wrote

Yea but we're talking barn to house. Not utility main

In any case yea 6' is reasonable but it seems deep for this scenario

tatpig t1_izezbny wrote

i would concur that metal rod poking near electric lines is bad,but the wiring should be in the proper conduit per local code,correct? poking that deep would be difficult,depending on composition and compaction of the fill, perhaps requiring a hammer,therefore i’d go with ‘no poke’.

dr_xenon t1_izeztu2 wrote

Could be direct burial wire that’s not in a metal conduit.

Either way, at 6’ it’s kinda deep for poking the soil.

Not_an_okama t1_izfx158 wrote

Can confirm that a hammer would probably be nessesary. I used to do building staking and even the 1/4” think lath we used for call outs took some swings of a 4lb sludge to get ~8” deep. A small diameter rod might work better but you’re still probably gonna be hammering to get any depth with it.

Castle_33_ OP t1_izh9ty5 wrote

No conduit needed per code. Due to northern climates, we are well below the frost line

21RaysofSun t1_izg7i6n wrote

You're not using conduit for a 250' run of cable. They definitely used direct burial

emptycurtains t1_izgbbwy wrote

I have a 300 foot run using conduit

21RaysofSun t1_izgn8mu wrote

Underground as a private diyer? What were you feeding?

Llohr t1_izh7gge wrote

Anything you want to be able to replace or add to. Having innerduct makes it really easy to do that.

Llohr t1_izh6sz0 wrote

Probe rods have a ball shaped end.

Good ones do, at least.

AT-ST t1_izfpvp0 wrote

> They have listening devices that can hear water leaks underground.

Not always. Some smaller water companies don't have such devices.

TexasTornadoTime t1_izh3af6 wrote

Well they probably do or at least funds to access one but just don’t use them for individual residential purposes

AT-ST t1_izhqp9x wrote

Maybe, but I doubt it. My water company is literally a small pole barn that houses a small excavator, pickup and a trailer to haul the excavator. There is a small office attached to it where they do the administrative stuff and a 10x30ft shed that holds materials. There are 3 employees and I have their cell phone numbers are given out so that they can be reached in the event of an emergency.

When I moved into my current house the water line from the meter to my house busted. That line is about 100ft long. Besides coming and turning the water off, they were no help. I asked about special devices that they could use to listen for a leak or help mark where the waterline was so I knew where to dig. They said they had nothing like that.

TexasTornadoTime t1_izhsrbk wrote

That doesn’t mean they couldn’t get access to one for bigger things. Like I said they probably have funds for using one just not for personal residential problems