Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

wolfie379 t1_j9eal33 wrote

It gets better. One of the washers between the strainer basket and the tailpiece for my kitchen (double) sink started to leak, literally a 50 cent part. Tailpieces were soldered into drain pipe rather than using slip joints, slight angle so fitting screwed onto strainer basin damaged the basin’s threads, had to replace strainer basin. Did you know that between the 1960s and the 1990s, there was a change in strainer basins - they now project roughly 1/2” less below the bottom of the sink? Had to replace both strainer basins and crossover pipe because a 50 cent washer was installed in a manner where it couldn’t be replaced.

All the lights and half the outlets are on one circuit. One of the outlets on that circuit is near floor level where the fridge was when I bought the place (from the cabinets, it looks like that space was intended for the fridge - fridges should be on their own circuit). I moved the fridge to what looked like where the ironing board was supposed to be set up (outlet on its own circuit). Previous owner had painted over many switches/outlets, so I was replacing them. Removed fuse from circuit for “old fridge” outlet, was detaching wires from the outlet. Detached one of the wires from the neutral side, there was a spark. The neutral return for another circuit went into one of the silver screws on this outlet and out of the other. Set up a pigtail - both wires and a short one go into a wire nut, short one goes to new outlet, so any future outlet replacement won’t leave a loose live wire.

lochlainn t1_j9ebsh4 wrote

Jesus Christ.

Who just paints over outlets? That doesn't make them stop being electrically active!

I hate to say it but you picked a winner of a condo.

reclusey t1_j9f1s51 wrote

Eyyy, are we roommates?!

Opened a few walls in my 1960s house to find interior door headers supported by the 1x pine doorjambs, just toenailed into the king studs, no jacks. My hall closet only opens halfway and my bedroom door won't close, so I'm guessing they're all like that. They're not load bearing walls, so who cares, right? /s

Replaced the wax ring in my basement bathroom. Flange is rotated 90° (so bolts feed through the holes, not the t-slots) and welded into the cast-iron drain. Holes are only accessible from underneath, through the floor.

I love my house. I do. But, damn.