Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gradiu5- t1_j1wvutu wrote

Engineering... Robots and AI won't be building shit without engineers for a long time.

resdaz t1_j1ww1pk wrote

True, I guess it would not be that much re-training for me to swing a gig like that.

dekrepit702 t1_j1x4m67 wrote

To piggyback off of this, surveying and gis careers are similar and are easier to get into without a (engineering)higher education but still pay decently.

AurigaNexus t1_j1xby8o wrote

GIS is actually something I'm pivoting towards. My parents work for an environmental remediation subcontractor in the Midwest that uses GIS a lot in their work, and it was the first thing my mother recommended when I floated by her the idea of going back to school.

Local college has a professional certification program for it that runs only 15 credit-hours, so about 1 semester worth of classes full-time.

Combine it with a Part 107 UAS license from the FAA and you'll be golden.

dhaugh t1_j1xdteq wrote

This!

Its fascinating and fun and you don't have to be stuck in an office all the time.

I'm in a similar field as your parents but if I ever go back for a masters degree I'll probably do something gis related

nxsteven t1_j1wxcyn wrote

What kind of engineering specifically?

Gradiu5- t1_j1wz1n4 wrote

Depends what you like. The classics... Electrical, computer, mechanical, etc... Or the hybrids, biomechanical, etc. What interests you?

Garoxxar t1_j1xa8ui wrote

Could also do what I did and go into CNC Engineering. That's not going away for a LONG time. CNC machines make almost everything, especially metals. Airplanes, guns, buildings, turbines, etc. I can keep going. It's a huge industry I feel like isn't talked about a lot.

BoringBob84 t1_j1xbqrm wrote

And now we have additive manufacturing (AKA 3D printing) as well as subtractive manufacturing.

TheBloodEagleX t1_j1xa021 wrote

Some schools also have a mixed curriculum called mechatronics.

dhaugh t1_j1xe1n0 wrote

Environmental or civil are great options if you want to profit off of climate change without being one of the bad guys

GrayBox1313 t1_j1x78ed wrote

If I can replace 5 expensive workers with 1 operator and a few rented machines, that’s a no brainer business move.

Gradiu5- t1_j1xqm9v wrote

I think you missed the point. You need the engineers and coders to make the robots as they won't be making themselves. Also, contrary to popular belief, the robots just don't materialize out of thin air, either.

GrayBox1313 t1_j1xqvn7 wrote

Those are white collar jobs. They aren’t blue collar job site workers. You’re not converting and retraining a sheet rock or concrete guy to be a software engineer

And 20 software engineers can program an entire operating system/software application deployed all Around the country on job sites displacing thousands of Jobs.