Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_izs3rh5 wrote

−7

JustWhatAmI t1_izs93l4 wrote

So... don't bother doing it? What's your point

BaronVonLazercorn t1_izsdubu wrote

They're massively in debt, they can't keep any power stations functioning, it takes them 10 years to build new power stations that end up basically exploding the moment they turn them on.

South Africans don't want new batteries, they want a functioning electrical grid

DragoonXNucleon t1_izso6af wrote

So building infrastructure which helps the grid during peak use times is bad then, eh?

Some people just gotta bitch about everything.

−3

BaronVonLazercorn t1_izsv7hz wrote

Yeah, how dare I bitch about being without power for 6-8 hours a day, every day.

Some people just have to tell others to get over situations they have no clue about.

[deleted] t1_izsp2vo wrote

Well we’re suffering from outages RIGHT NOW.

7-12 months to build this station is laughable, whoever wrote that article doesn’t know South Africa. It’ll probably take 2 years, generate half the amount for electricity said to be generated, AND THEN baaam! Something goes wrong, then there’s a scandal

MilkshakeBoy78 t1_iztzftc wrote

> So building infrastructure which helps the grid during peak use times is bad then, eh?

yeah if you cant maintain your current infrastructure, dont build new ones.

pleasefindthis t1_izscq3j wrote

I imagine this is too little too late for many South Africans and this is still, frustratingly slow. Loadshedding, or controlled blackouts, have been and on-again off-again part of South African life since 2008, and not enough has been done to update and modernize the grid since then - in recent weeks it’s gotten to the point that many cities are regularly without electricity for 9 hours or more a day. This, on top of everything else, has devastated the economy, made it impossible for students to study, destroyed infrastructure and personal belongings because of the constant surges from the power going off and then coming back on multiple times a day, and widened the existing gap in society between those who can afford generators and batteries and continue to function, and those who can’t. I agree the comment doesn’t add anything to the conversation, just voicing why people are frustrated.

[deleted] t1_izsobcq wrote

We have tons of coal ready to be burnt.

Just do maintenance on existing power stations, and keep the lights on.

Now we have to wait a year for a battery centre that can only power 2/10 of our biggest city. It doesn’t seem like a good idea to me