Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ambiguity_Envelope t1_j45gnih wrote

This is exciting news. My wife isn't even 40 yet and we barely caught a proximal epitheliod sarcoma in her thigh before it metastasized. No history of it in her family. Having an injection to prevent a relapse would be amazing beyond words.

I just hope the politicians can stay the out of the picture for as long as possible on this one. Let it go through a full blown testing regimen before they start throwing around bans and mandates. Nothing is more terrifying than career politicians making medical decisions based on the opinions of cherry picked doctors who are paid to reinforce their agendas.

I am fully vaccinated. I also don't trust the government when they say "You MUST take this vaccine, carry proof of it at all times, and you cannot sue us or manufacturers for any reason even if you can prove it did you harm." Especially when they stand to make hundreds of millions on investments from said companies.

xieta t1_j4607m4 wrote

These vaccines are treatment, not preventative, and cancer is not communicable. No reason to mandate.

It’s interesting though that many people are terrified of drugs when they’re called a vaccine and injected by a needle, but actively “talk to their doctor” about pills they see on TV.

I’m fine being skeptical of governments, but what was frustrating about the pandemic (at least in America) was seeing how many people feel no personal responsibility or obligation to protect others from their actions. If our society was just now passing drunk driving laws, many of these same people would whine about the nanny state, say things like “everyone dies eventually,” and claim it violates their right to take risks.

Rusty_Shakalford t1_j46dhro wrote

> If our society was just now passing drunk driving laws, many of these same people would whine about the nanny state, say things like “everyone dies eventually,” and claim it violates their right to take risks.

No need for hypotheticals. That’s pretty much what happened when mandatory seatbelt laws were introduced.

xieta t1_j46fomt wrote

Indeed, but seatbelts do have less relevance to how one's actions affect others.

Own_Back_2038 t1_j46ym8f wrote

Not having your seatbelt on increases the risk of serious injury for the other passengers

[deleted] t1_j46ln0k wrote

[removed]

−3

xieta t1_j46pr3f wrote

> government originally said if you got vaccine you couldn’t catch it or spread it.

Did they? The CDC's minimum effectiveness for accepting a covid vaccine in 2020 was 50%, and Fauci gave estimates of 70% before vaccines arrived. The head of the CDC said in September 2020 "“I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine."

The reason some people (mostly in the media) started using absolute language was because, to everyone's surprise, Moderna's mRNA vaccine was over 94% effective against the wild type strain. At the time, it was more or less true to say it would prevent infection.

> Then it was “breakthrough” when those with vaccines caught it

Nope, breakthrough wasn't some new word invented for covid, it's a known aspect of vaccinations. It just became increasingly common as the virus mutated. The vaccine didn't change, the virus did. The changing circumstances doesn't retroactively make earlier findings a lie, anymore than "I'm hungry" said before a meal becomes a lie after eating.

> then it was finally admitted Pfizer had no data showing it stopped you from catching it or spreading it.

Citation very much needed.

bnogal t1_j48u75s wrote

Then why it is obligatory to have the FIRST two vaccines to enter USA, even if it is not obligatory for everyone over there.

It's just about money.

Also, every country request to have their own vaccines. If you travel to China you are required the china one, to USA, the USA one, to Russia, the Russian one.

I trust the vaccines but it is just funny.

xieta t1_j49035p wrote

> Then why it is obligatory to have the FIRST two vaccines to enter USA, even if it is not obligatory for everyone over there.

I'm really not sure what you mean. Are you asking why people were obligated to have moderna or Pfizer vaccines? Because there was also J&J approved around the same time (spring 2021), well before vaccines were sufficiently available to be mandatory.

bnogal t1_j4adqnw wrote

If they know they work mainly for the original virus. Why to request them now that the variants of the virus bypassed the original vaccine

Even more stupid, you may test to have good defenses, as you had other vaccines and passed different version of the virus twice. But still they want you to have their approved vaccines for the alpha variant. A test showing your body will deal with it is not valid.

I don't say vaccines are wrong, just the measures they use seems to me unethical.

I am talking about the situation now, January 2023.

xieta t1_j4amzkt wrote

Ah. Well the weight of evidence suggests vaccination still offers worthwhile protection from transmission (similar to flu shots), and very good protection from serious illness and death, despite being outdated.

Fortunately the mRNA vaccines circa 2023 are all bivalent, mixing the original vaccine with omicro-specific additions, though for earlier sub-variants. These are somewhat more effective.

That protection, especially from severe illness, is why they are still recommended. But if you notice, there are fewer and fewer places with strict vaccine mandates, precisely because everyone has been exposed multiple times and the virus has become so evasive.

What many people forget during the height of vaccine checks/mandates was that was during delta when people still didn’t have any immune protection and we’re dying in droves. Vaccination was really really important for large gatherings then.

[deleted] t1_j461o93 wrote

[deleted]

−9

Fiddlefig t1_j463rb2 wrote

When enough ppl are vaccinated, the virus runs out of hosts to infect and disappears, thus protecting many ppl. It’s called herd immunity.

xieta t1_j463tk8 wrote

Covid vaccination reduces your chance of transmitting the disease by 20-40% for omicron.

At any rate, the opposition has been the same, even for the wild-type strain and original vaccine when it was understood that curbing the spread was a significant motivation for vaccination.

BellumSuprema t1_j478tos wrote

I hope that people w/ no medical background keep their opinions to themselves and hopefully they learn their lesson when it comes to infecting others w/ their diseases.

Politicians should stay out of the way w/ medical decisions and private companies should not own a monopoly on care and medication, especially when MY tax dollars go to pay for their research