Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Iffykindofguy t1_j9aijvk wrote

Delusional propaganda. Almost all of those "jobs" it creates will be consumed within a few years by machine learning improvements.

YoghurtDull1466 t1_j9ami46 wrote

You didn’t see those prompt engineer positions paying 300k lol?

Iffykindofguy t1_j9an407 wrote

I did. As the AI's get better at understanding human communication, less and less "engineering" will be required

YoghurtDull1466 t1_j9an8ad wrote

Good thing humans don’t even understand human communication lol. The average score on my university communications final was like 73%

−1

Iffykindofguy t1_j9av6nt wrote

We're getting better at it. Also thats a terrible metric. Thats grading on what your school describes as communications which could be anything from corporate bullshit to more legit stuff.

SnooPuppers1978 t1_j9cdruu wrote

Also arbitrary percentage says nothing about how difficult or complex the whole thing was. Which is ironically bad communication.

YoghurtDull1466 t1_j9avhnv wrote

No, your comment actually unintentionally clearly illustrates my point exactly. My statement was both sarcastically ironic and facetious in nature

−4

Iffykindofguy t1_j9b10xr wrote

Youre confusing not being able to read your attempt at a joke via text with no context as to your personality with our ability to communicate as a whole.

mattstorm360 t1_j9b1u5h wrote

Plus, it's hard to read sarcasm in text. You got a way to tell MoCkInG tExT or SHOUTING TEXT but i think that's about it.

YoghurtDull1466 t1_j9c762c wrote

Iit’s still a great example of how nuanced communication is

mattstorm360 t1_j9cvjea wrote

At least when it comes to text. Voice tones are a lot easier unless you are Bloo.

JC_in_KC t1_j9ftmwi wrote

printing press operators used to make bank too lol

YoghurtDull1466 t1_j9gi6g9 wrote

They moved on to becoming tool and die makers who now calibrate machinery for thousands of dollars per setup. Still one of the most lucrative professions in engineering.

reidlos1624 t1_j9atv01 wrote

I completely see the net difference being negative in the long run but AI and machine learning is still a ways off.

We also don't know what kind of jobs will pop up completely unrelated to this whole scare. And there's also a pretty big labor shortage right now that's only likely to worsen. Robots replaced a lot of factory employees but now there's entirely new jobs in software and automation. Point being there's likely a small net negative but tbh I'm not really concerned.

The bigger concern isn't about jobs but wages and matching productivity. Traditionally capitalists take improvements to production for themselves and don't spread the profits to employees.

Point being there's no reason to panic on jobs yet, but wage laws need to be updated including a reasonable UBI from corporate and wealth taxes. This isn't necessarily to do with job loss but wage stagnation that's been ongoing and a far more immediate issue.

Iffykindofguy t1_j9avebr wrote

No, there is huge reason to panic on jobs. We already have no protections and the cuts have begun and they will not stop. If the GOP takes over all three in the next american election, there will never be protections. People like to say "yeah we went from 10 to 5 jobs but another two popped up!" okay that was the industrial revolution, now were going from 5 jobs down to 1.

reidlos1624 t1_j9awnew wrote

This simply isn't happening the way you said. If it did we'd be at record low employment, but unemployment is the lowest since the 50's.

Most manufacturing jobs were lost due to offshoring not automation improvements. Automation adoption has correlated with job growth, the jobs just change.

Iffykindofguy t1_j9b17m3 wrote

The way I said it would? Its been 38 minutes. Were at the start of it right now.

AeternusDoleo t1_j9f11n8 wrote

Ah, yes, blame it on those evil evil conservatives. While the companies that are developing this tech are throwing their funding at the "other" side. "Here, be distracted by shiney thing, don't look at us taking away your future, shiney thing over here is where you need to look to!"

That said, you're not wrong about this being a digital revolution akin to the industrial one. ChatGPT and similar systems will wipe out entire sections of the services sector. Call centers especially. When paired with VR they also have a chance to wipe out large sections of the entertainment industry, both gaming and movie wise. What it won't wipe out however are blue collar jobs, since chatbots do not have an option to manipulate the environment.

Iffykindofguy t1_j9f3h03 wrote

theyre not evil, theyre just victims. They cant offer any resistance to corporate overlords. Nothing personal so check your feelings at the door.

craeftsmith t1_j9cscsv wrote

This is probably a small thing, but I know of one job that got eliminated by ChatGPT. I was doing a research project, and encountered a topic I didn't understand. Normally, we would have hired a grad student to do the research. I tried ChatGPT instead, and was able to solve all the research hurdles. I saved my employer about $15k by doing that.

I don't know how scary that is. If I was the grad student, I would be upset.