Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

goddamnmike t1_j8e5xt0 wrote

Waiting for the day AI replaces execs, general managers, politicians, lawyers, cops...

StarsinmyOcean t1_j8flzh4 wrote

that won't happen but maybe managers

Still-WFPB t1_j8gpxr5 wrote

It won't happen either. Management will just shift and we'll have teams of 2-25xthe siE we already do. I have 25 direct reports right now... and likely once automation hits fulll-swing in about 10 years we'll just have standard manager low-level is managing 50- 500 people etc.

quantumgpt t1_j8g6m3i wrote

You'll be waiting a long time. They will just give another name to a position involving work ethic.

Correct_Influence450 t1_j8g6qvn wrote

...and whatever your job is.

goddamnmike t1_j8h257m wrote

Funeral service. So yeah, talking to grieving families all like *beep boop.

z3njunki3 t1_j8kd2q5 wrote

For "he was a really nice guy" press 5

goddamnmike t1_j8keove wrote

"We'll take good care of <decedent>, sorry for you loss."

FredTheLynx t1_j8fwkis wrote

Chat GPT automates the process of someone with zero knowledge on a topic looking online for the information on that topic and learning just a tiny tiny bit enough to get the job done.

So if your job can be learned exclusively by a relatively intelligent person spending 20-30 minutes googling... well your in trouble.

ryan_s007 OP t1_j8glzid wrote

Imagine the potential if the user did have strong knowledge of the process being automated. The problem then is not the plurality of the knowledge the bot can regurgitate, but the intelligence it has within a specific domain.

I suggest that this domain be the logical translation of natural language into code. By training the bot in a specific environment, connecting domain-specific topics to structures in code is made possible and more accurate.

And the individuals with strong knowledge of their roles would provide the most accurate instructions to the bot. Even when accuracy fails, the simplicity of the process will inevitably crowd-source enough data for some to be of use to technical programmers.

The biggest deterrent to this is the cost and time it takes to train the bot.

FredTheLynx t1_j8gpjt1 wrote

That's the thing though, that is the fundamental limit of these kind of natural language AIs. They learn by volume.

Chat GPT writes really good cover letters for Job applicants for example. Because there are tons of cover letter examples out there for it to ingest and learn exactly what it is that makes a good one.

And that means two important things.

1. They cant teach themselves anything.
  2. For anything obscure enough that sufficient volume and variety of material doesn't exist they aren't that great.

ryan_s007 OP t1_j8dt0zd wrote

Automation is one of the most impactful trends shaping our world today. It has the potential to greatly improve productivity and quality of life, but also raises concerns about job displacement.

Chatbots like ChatGPT could play a transformative role in ensuring the benefits of automation are distributed fairly. This relatively tame application of ChatGPT could have far-reaching implications for the future of automation design.

googajub t1_j8duy3p wrote

Many jobs are already superfluous since the last century. Automation happened and workers got the shaft. Production is up, efficiency is up, and inequality is up. Technology is just a tool. Capitalism is cancer.

googajub t1_j8dzkam wrote

Response to your previous reply: how is that different from the Internet? Automation and convenience just made our jobs harder and scarcer. One person can do the work of 50. Less jobs for less pay.

rixtil41 t1_j8f95s6 wrote

There is a typing point. Like a bridge you can only put so much weight before it collapses. If nothing changes then to me where not that far from collapse.

googajub t1_j8fganc wrote

I felt that way in 2001. Now "Dubya" is like our sweet uncle. Grateful Dead called it back in 1970...

>One way or another, this darkness got to give.

ryan_s007 OP t1_j8e2arf wrote

The likely solution is probably something along the lines of AI managing all the aspects of human life while we live like the humans of Wall-E.

The other solution is to reject modernity and connivence and return to the lifestyle of our predecessors.

But if we assume automation is inevitable, ChatGPT allows for more inclusivity in the near future. Before robots begin programming other robots without any human intervention anyway.

SweetBabyAlaska t1_j8exii1 wrote

that is so naive that its painful.

−1

ryan_s007 OP t1_j8ezrkx wrote

It's a conjecture on something I have done zero research on. The only defensible prediction I've made is that chatbots like ChatGPT will eventually become functional translation mediums.

I'm curious to know what makes you feel so confident in your own predictions.

ElendX t1_j8eonfs wrote

The problem is that automation is still just a tool, if we don't design society with these disciplines and everyone in mind, we are going to be in a very difficult and unequal society.

Furthermore, whilst text and image generation seems to be automated, the more manual parts of our work are still quite manual. Manufacturing and farming are still very manual processes.

Lastly, there's a huge risk that the internet will be flooded with generated content even more so than before. And at that point we are recycling things and that could potentially lead to these models losing their ability to be innovative as they will be overwhelmed by content they created.

ryan_s007 OP t1_j8f03fs wrote

To your last point, the strength of these chatbots within an automation context is their ability to be fine-tuned on curated datasets.

Genivaria91 t1_j8fz8p7 wrote

As long as quality of life is determined by wealth than the only people that automation will help is those few who own the machines, the many millions who will be losing their jobs will be doomed to lifelong poverty.

Speedracer666 t1_j8g4osw wrote

So ai writes my resume and cover letter. It’s then reviewed by ai and sends out an ai written rejection letter. The circle is complete.

Jnorean t1_j8frjc1 wrote

Like everything else ChatGPT has a drawback. From its creators, "ChatGPT sometimes writes plausible-sounding but incorrect or nonsensical answers." This means that sometimes it's impossible for humans to tell if ChatGPT 's answers are true and accurate or just flat out wrong. Not a good attribute for ChatGPT to possess.

ryan_s007 OP t1_j8fv8na wrote

It's by far its biggest limitation. I hope that more testing and curation will mitigate this problem, but it's why oversight by technical programmers is a necessity for the short-term.

Either way, if the code is not complete garbage, it should speed up the tasks of the programmers with the benefit of creating a job for the original role experts whose role is being automated.

aizaz-zazii t1_j8h2nwe wrote

AI and automation technology in general have the potential to transform certain types of jobs and industries, and could have a significant impact on the labor market and economy as a whole. It's important to consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of these technologies, and to work towards creating a future where they are used in a responsible and equitable way.

Grim-Reality t1_j8hfxk9 wrote

Hopefully more advanced robotic and AI can also facilitate universal basic income, healthcare, and housing.

FuturologyBot t1_j8dwdyf wrote

The following submission statement was provided by /u/ryan_s007:

Automation is one of the most impactful trends shaping our world today. It has the potential to greatly improve productivity and quality of life, but also raises concerns about job displacement.

Chatbots like ChatGPT could play a transformative role in ensuring the benefits of automation are distributed fairly. This relatively tame application of ChatGPT could have far-reaching implications for the future of automation design.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://old.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/111cbj4/how_chatgpt_could_revolutionize_job_automation/j8dt0zd/

ASAP_i t1_j8egnyr wrote

Yet another "ChatGPT will be the end all, be all" thread.

Is there a way to block topics on this sub? Can the mods set up a megathread or something?

ryan_s007 OP t1_j8ek4rk wrote

Did you read the article?

ChatGPT is just a concept translation tool. Like Google translate but for code.

Johnmik5400 t1_j8gt8z4 wrote

Humanity MUST make a decision to limit A.I. If we continue down this road ; a road already pock-marked with a leftist-Marxist limits on free speech. Also, A.I. puts us on the slippery ladder to a technocracy first conceived over a century ago by a group of male elitist hell- bent on killing off most of humanity and wrestle control from the rest. These elites have made these statements. They LOVE evil. They serve the evil and the evil one.

−2