Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

joleme t1_it8nxhj wrote

Really hope you're not a counselor.

Hey you, I know you just got diagnosed with cancer and have 2 weeks to live, and your 3 young kids won't have a father anymore, but stop grieving it's a waste of time.

If you can't see how stupid you look with that attitude then you can't be helped. Grieving is a natural part of human existence.

StudlyCurmudgeon t1_it8we8x wrote

Natural, sure, but I don't feel the OP is saying that you're unnatural for grieving. The point is, if you "wallow" for days/weeks/months after a cancer diagnosis, your kids now have to deal with an "absent" parent even before the potentially inevitable death, but then they still have a parent with terminal cancer either way. It's heaping more misery onto an already shitty situation.

The key here is to be understanding of those that do "wallow", while also recognizing that acceptance is a very important first step to an inevitability. Prolonging denial or grief is never great, and is almost always somewhat selfish. Again, very human, but definitely has negative consequences to both you and your loved ones.

Just my two doges.