Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thecordialsun t1_ivhp27v wrote

Yeah, speaking for myself: autistic, pathological liar, and a coward. I'm lame

whitelighthurts t1_iviajgf wrote

Work on it man. I ran to drugs and really fucked myself up. But I think if I would have addressed my fear and WHY I lied and was so afraid.

Do you never feel like the real you is quite right? Do the lies form a mask?

j1j2h1h2 t1_ivi5qrm wrote

You can’t be a coward and have autism because that’s impossible. Every day, you live in a neurotypical world where so much doesn’t make sense or feels unnatural to you. That takes guts — that’s bold. Remember that the next time you feel like you’re lame. This would be the equivalent of somebody dropping me in the middle of Germany (I don’t speak German) in the year 2075. You’re amazing, so please remember that. But also, stop lying. It’s bad for your soul. You’re already aware of this, though, so you’re off to a good start.

Littleman88 t1_ivjmpgr wrote

It's bold to make the first step and gain some ground. Then you get scared you'll lose it all by opening your mouth and saying something insensitive or dumb.

Yeah, for people where ever step forward is a struggle, it makes sense they'd be terrified of doing anything that would instantly take them back to the starting line. It's why confidence is so hard for some people, especially people that have never felt like "winners."

We've all presumably played chutes and ladders? Every roll feels like it could land us on that one space with the really long chute, and we can't see any ladders. Brave to roll again, sure, but the chute is always there.

j1j2h1h2 t1_ivkryxq wrote

This is very well said — it sounds like you speak from experience. One of my children is on the spectrum and while I can't (and shouldn't) even attempt to speak for him, I think he would find your words and this example to be very relatable. And in the same way he sometimes struggles to have compassion for others, he also deserves that same level of understanding. If not more.