Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TBTabby t1_j0bmj5r wrote

There's a line between confidence and hubris.

_Weyland_ t1_j0cnx8a wrote

I like to think that true confidence is not about knowing you'll succeed, but being ready to accept any outcome.

If you're ready to move on no matter what door opens for you, it feels liberating.

Randomn355 t1_j0d41ac wrote

"Knowing you have made the best choice you reasonably could" is my benchmark for doing things.

You'll never know everything, and you'll never be able to research enough to become an expert.

But do enough that you have done what you can.

Lvzbell t1_j0doqns wrote

Rando! You didn't clean your room or make your bed!?

I did the best I could! MawwM!

Thank-you1234 t1_j0dinjp wrote

I’ve always felt of confidence as proud of what you’ve done and who you are while recognizing mistakes and striving to be better in those areas. Hopefully constantly recognizing areas to touch up or improve, improving them and then gaining more confidence. But recognizing faults, shortcomings, or weakness and becoming/remaining confident in your ability to do so.

Whereas hubris would be more “I’m not supposed to fail because it’s ME, I deserve to “win” for no other reason than because of that. I have no weaknesses so why are we wasting time playing? Just give me the prize.

IMO every single confident person will be able to tell you open and honestly about their weaknesses, able to apologize and take blame when they fuck up, and strive to do better. A person with no confidence or too much hubris either lacks the confidence to think “I made a mistake, but it’s nothing I can’t overcome. I’m confident I can do better next time. Therefore they deny blame or ownership.

And someone with hubris thinks “I’m the best there’s ever been I’m perfect. This couldn’t have been because I did something wrong”. And can’t fathom that they make mistakes too

detoxifiedjosh t1_j0e26kt wrote

I've come to realise I don't care about trying to tiptoe around this distinction anymore. I'm not going to rein in my positivity out of the fear I'm "more confident than I should be" As long as I'm uplifting myself and the people around me, you can call me cocky all you like.

Whole_Suit_1591 t1_j0e2ma0 wrote

Is that line called confident hummus? Like someone took a bunch of pages out of the dictionary?

Frozenlime t1_j0djyjj wrote

Did you use the word "hubris" prior to 2015?

Oubastet t1_j0e2758 wrote

What's your point? Hubris is a word, and concept, older than you and I combined.

Frozenlime t1_j0ez2d5 wrote

I'm curious if you heard the word in The Force Awakens and decided to use it yourself.

Oubastet t1_j0ile12 wrote

Nope, I haven't watched that yet.

I probably learned it in grade school or middle school, several decades ago. It's not some novel word for me. ;)

Cool if you learned it from the movie though. Good on you! It's a good habit to look up new words you might hear or read so you can expand your vocabulary.

I've always been an avid reader, and have always made it a point to lookup words I don't know.

I distinctly remember looking up "hyperbole" when I was young and proceeding to mispronounce it for years, despite knowing what it means. 😸

Frozenlime t1_j0k4bku wrote

That's interesting, because prior to 2015 nobody uttered tge word "hubris". Now it's commonly used.

Oubastet t1_j0rywjj wrote

LOL! Just because nobody you know used it and that it's some novel word to you doesn't mean "nobody used it" and doesn't mean it hasn't been a common word for a couple thousand years. It's literally Latin, used by the ancient Greeks and Romans. It's use has persisted to this day. Latin is still used in the medical community and is the root of many words in Western English.

It just means it's been "re-learned" by more people. If you consumed literature outside of YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, Reddit, and the like, it wouldn't be new to you.

It's clear that you are younger, and don't have broad exposure to the world at large (at least to literature), and need to be exposed to broader ideas.

I don't say that to insult you, but to encourage you to broaden your horizons and knowledge. You're going down the right path - curiosity, knowledge seeking, asking questions, et cetera (abbreviated etc, but also Latin!)

👍I applaud you asking questions, and your curiosity. That is how we all learn.

Frozenlime t1_j0t8x46 wrote

The lady doth protest too much!

Aym42 t1_j0w9pdu wrote

The utter hubris of this guy claiming no one used or knew the word before some shitty SW remake. Dude, did you not study literature in grade school?

Oubastet t1_j0e14sn wrote

Agreed. OPs post is just describing hubris.

It's easy to fall into, and hard to realize.