Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Pinikanut t1_iu5q3k0 wrote

I usually reply STOP and it works.

A few times the emails I got were from actual people working for campaigns, rather than bots. In those cases I wrote back "please stop texting/calling me and immediately remove my contact information from your call/text lists or I will vote against what you are texting me about."

I only got a single text this year and I am pretty happy about that.

frostymatador13 t1_iu5wzfp wrote

I did that with a door to door campaigner “I am voting for whoever bothers me the least” never had another show up

honorthecrones t1_iu6m3ki wrote

I’m getting tons of these and the STOP is different each time. Stop2End or StoptoEnd there are minor differences in the command you have to text back and there is only one text per number. Some of them start with Pat or Steve (not my name) and I have NEVER contributed to a candidate over text. Super aggravating

MasonJack12 t1_iu5g8ys wrote

Conveniently for them, political calls are exempt from do not call registry. They must have forgotten when they passed the law.

ClimbingQueen t1_iu5pcu2 wrote

I moved to a different state when I was 17 for college, and I still get calls and texts from my original home state during election season. I've never even registered to vote in that state.

Dr__Doomed t1_iu5h0x2 wrote

If your state has early voting vote as early as possible. A lot of them will take you off their list then because it costs them money and they can't influence your vote anymore.

ucjuicy t1_iu5ibm5 wrote

Actually being interested and investing in the political process is the only answer.

Cualquiera10 t1_iu7pteu wrote

Where do you live? I’m still bombarded with mail, calls, texts, and television ads after voting last week.

Rocky_McRocker t1_iu5eww2 wrote

I reply STOP to every political text. Not an ideal solution, but it has cut down on the number I've been receiving.

keepthetips t1_iu5ef6m wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

Phyr8642 t1_iu5ltft wrote

Every political message I have received by text has included the phrase STOP 2 quit.

So reply with STOP.

Do your messages not say that?

Proper_Distribution1 t1_iu5tek4 wrote

I think they are looking to be removed from all these text lists altogether. I get at least a dozen a week and as many times as I hit stop I still keep getting texts.

tinySparkOf_Chaos t1_iu6mzvh wrote

I have a "report spammer" option when I long press a text on my phone.

I've been reporting each and everyone of those texts that I get. (In addition to replying STOP. )

It probably does not do anything, but I like to hope that if they get enough spam reports the phone carriers will do something.

Nervous_Award_3914 t1_iu5gfn9 wrote

One more week and it should be over.

Santaconartist OP t1_iu5gour wrote

Until the next day when the presidential campaign starts! Haha I hope not but I fear

EstebanZD t1_iu5kx22 wrote

I hope to never suffer this, since for some reason my mobile carrier doesn't allow me to send messages.

It's been almost a decade with no answer as to why, across three numbers and like seven phones.

I can't send SMS to my family, or say 'STOP' to these campaigns, or use online services which require you send a message (the google chat thing for example)

y0ungfreshpickles t1_iu5pb3n wrote

Get a new number, or just block each and every one until they run out of numbers to use. And if they're using malicious means to using/creating new numbers, then shame on them, but otherwise there's nothing you can do.

It's like complaining about your home constantly getting burglarized when you live in a crime-ridden area, when the quick and easiest solution is to simply move to a different area. Otherwise, assholes are gunna asshole.

heaven_shadow24 t1_iu5tsuf wrote

I feel you. I legit get constant texts and calls from the opposing party, asking for a completely different person in a completely different state no matter how many stops/please take me off the lists I do. No matter what, end up with the never ending barrage with different numbers every time.

Mac642 t1_iu62a23 wrote

I reply with "send nudes" and never hear from them again.

HollowCow504 t1_iu62uuj wrote

I’m sad to say I have been one of those people sending these political text messages in the past. I’m done with that world thankfully but I do have a recommendation.

I’m not certain if this applies outside of California but the most effective thing you can do is reply to the sender with “please remove this number from all text campaigns immediately.” This was the only way to make sure that we didn’t contact you again or for a different race.

By law, political text messages have to be “sent” by a real person (who sends hundreds at a time but hits “send” for each one). Phone calls are a different story; they are all automated now so it’s a bit more challenging to stop. I just filter unknown callers.

Good luck!

[deleted] t1_iu64h53 wrote

[removed]

Santaconartist OP t1_iu6c8l9 wrote

This is extremely solid advice! Time vs money is likely more effective anyways. I phone banked once and was actually a really positive experience!

FourLetterIGN t1_iu6f8yd wrote

Got mad once and replied "Will vote for opposition if you dont STOP"

It kinda worked i guess?

Flair_Helper t1_iu7v53e wrote

Hello Santaconartist, thank you for your submission! Unfortunately, it has been removed for the following reason:

Your post is not a life pro tip. Advice is any guidance or recommendation concerning prudent future action. An aphorism is a short clever saying that is intended to express a general truth or a concise statement of a principle.Try r/YouShouldKnow.

If you would like to appeal this decision please feel free to contact the moderators here. Do not repost without explicit permission from the moderators. Make sure you read the rules before submitting. Thank you!