Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

decrementsf t1_iwzgybj wrote

Focus is a skill. You can improve it. Instead of resistance training with weights, the resistance training is with systems and habits. Artistotle starter pack.

−14

oktin t1_iwzu15g wrote

It must be nice to have executive functions.

But telling someone with a broken arm to lift weights won't help them.

Background-Chapter80 t1_iwzwdkd wrote

Now that ADHD is so commonly diagnosed everyone apparently has no executive function. How the fuck did people get by for the past few hundred years then?

−8

oktin t1_iwzxb85 wrote

ADHD isn't a problem for, like farm hands working before tractors and such took over. But now that our brains are the only really monetizable asset, the added strain is preventing traditional coping mechanisms from working.

Background-Chapter80 t1_iwzxlqg wrote

I acknowledge that some people have a real problem but I think it is over-diagnosed. Maybe if people didn’t raise their kids using iPads as their main parenting tool, people would have actual attention spans.

−14

Tiny_Rat t1_ix00rde wrote

That doesn't really explain the number of 30-40+ year old people who are getting diagnosed for the first time now thay we've gotten better at recognizing what the symptoms look like in adults, particularly women.

Background-Chapter80 t1_ix04dug wrote

At a point it stops being a condition if so many people supposedly have it though

−14

CaptainAsshat t1_ix06kfi wrote

Or it's an environmental condition we need to address.

Lots of people contracted the black plague, that didn't make it any less real or serious.

decrementsf t1_iwzx81j wrote

The actions of people with broken arms have been awarded the medal of valor. You're never out of the fight.

You can always find the exception. In most cases you're dealing with a mental prison, a human operating system performing poorly usually assigned to you. Mental prisons can be walked out of. There's no lock at all. You can rewrite your human operating system replacing it with a more useful one.

A human operating system is a framing of how to see the world. Generally a story for yourself that guides behavior. A framing does not have to be true to be useful. A motto, creed, or affirmation for organizations usually use a storytelling structure because they're imprinting an operating system for behavior.

Consider the operating system used by Navy Seals to imprint the operating system of behavior. How would you behave if every day you woke up and read this outloud? You can sit down and think through what behaviors you prioritize. Write your own storytelling exercise to reinforce the traits of the person you would respect and admire. Maybe it's the simplest possible action. I went outside today and got a haircut. Tomorrow I talked to a person. The next, I applied for a job. Start with the smallest possible action. Then build up. Every day I take a bad habit, and roll it into a slightly better habit. That takes on a compounding return on investment of its own that carries you far.

Social media has allowed for faulty operating systems to spread easily. This is why it feels like we're surrounded by more people doing worse than ever. Humans are designed for scarcity. We're learning to develop the language to describe the ailments from too much information abundance. Learning about the nature of human operating systems is one of the levels up you can see clearly now.

> United States Navy SEAL

> In times of war or uncertainty there is a special breed of warrior ready to answer our Nation’s call. A common man with uncommon desire to succeed.

> Forged by adversity, he stands alongside America’s finest special operations forces to serve his country, the American people, and protect their way of life.

> I am that man.

> My Trident is a symbol of honor and heritage. Bestowed upon me by the heroes that have gone before, it embodies the trust of those I have sworn to protect. By wearing the Trident I accept the responsibility of my chosen profession and way of life. It is a privilege that I must earn every day.

> My loyalty to Country and Team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a guardian to my fellow Americans always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession, placing the welfare and security of others before my own.

> I serve with honor on and off the battlefield. The ability to control my emotions and my actions, regardless of circumstance, sets me apart from other men.

> Uncompromising integrity is my standard. My character and honor are steadfast. My word is my bond.

> We expect to lead and be led. In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates and accomplish the mission. I lead by example in all situations.

> I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity. My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.

> We demand discipline. We expect innovation. The lives of my teammates and the success of our mission depend on me – my technical skill, tactical proficiency, and attention to detail. My training is never complete.

> We train for war and fight to win. I stand ready to bring the full spectrum of combat power to bear in order to achieve my mission and the goals established by my country. The execution of my duties will be swift and violent when required yet guided by the very principles that I serve to defend.

> Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold. In the worst of conditions, the legacy of my teammates steadies my resolve and silently guides my every deed. I will not fail.

−15

oktin t1_iwzze5d wrote

ADHD is a physical problem that can be seen in MRI's: Hardware issue, not software. While symptoms can be reduced by similar tactics, "normality" is impossible.

I've tried similar things with little results in the past, but I can try again. I'll see how long I can keep it going.

TVotte t1_iwzjwcz wrote

Leave me alone and let me play Minecraft

c0mputerRFD t1_iwzim80 wrote

Whatever you are saying is getting my tits all hard but, how do you do it ???