Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

omninascent t1_iy0ruia wrote

If it’s an emergency then you dial 911, if it’s a non-emergency, you have time to look it up. Right? I mean….

petdance t1_iy253lo wrote

Many times I have been driving, seen something that require police attention, like a stalled car in the middle of a busy road, and said “hey Siri call Mytown Police”. I got the police and told them the location. I didn’t have to pull over and look it up.

Addakisson t1_iy2ozwi wrote

Not everyone has/wants voice control or Siri.

petdance t1_iy3ed1h wrote

Sure, but for those who do, having the phone number of the police in the phone makes it trivial to make the call. The scenario i described has happened to me at least three times in the past year.

If the LPT is not for you, that’s fine. No need to argue against it.

sicilianDev t1_iy50ldj wrote

Just dial 911, theyll transfer you if they deem it not an emergency, they have plenty of operators. In fact, you are helping them do their job, not taking up time and preventing others from calling in. If you need cops, you need cops.

whitlockian OP t1_iy0tvv1 wrote

Yes, of course. It's a convenience to have the number handy.

Happy 🍰 Day!

−1

mtgguy999 t1_iy10lss wrote

I mean it would be convenient to already have the number for any person or business that I want to call, doesn’t mean I’m going to inconvenience myself today looking up numbers for every conceivable contact just incase. It is usually only take a 1 minute google search to find what I need and if I’m calling this number it’s by definition a non emergency

SomethingTrippy420 t1_iy2c6ab wrote

What if your non-emergency involves poor cell coverage? It’s not like you will ever regret having this number I in your phone.

day7seven t1_iy2hirh wrote

Then who cares? It wasn't an emergency anyways. No big deal if you wait until you get somewhere with good coverage.

whitlockian OP t1_iy18gjg wrote

Hey, it's just a tip. Take it or leave it but some might find it useful. None of these LPTs are for everyone. Use the ones you think are useful to you and ignore the rest.

−9

sharabi_bandar t1_iy2husp wrote

Yeah but this one is inherently bad.

wild_wet_daddy t1_iy4bk01 wrote

How so, it's an actual life tip, yes, not a pro tip or anything but a tip on life or rather advice.But this is so common knowledge, to keep your local police number in your phone, im actually flabbergasted that there is any debate here at all or at the audacity of people actually complaining that some stranger might even make there live easier

omninascent t1_iy0u9kc wrote

Lol thanks! Our non emergency number is really easy to remember so I guess after 20+ years living here I take the ease for granted. “242-COPS”