Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Glittering_Dealer569 t1_j50egb5 wrote

When our 12 year old GSD’s time came (she had degenerative myelopathy), we hired a vet-recommended service called “Laps of Love”. It was sweet, peaceful and dignified. The vet brought an air dry clay kit to mold one of her paw prints for us, snipped a memento lock of her hair, and soothed her with quiet words. We snuggled Jesse, said our goodbyes, and the vet quietly dosed her with sedatives. She just went to sleep in my arms. Her heart slowly stopped beating, confirmed by the vet, and they took her away on a stretcher. Two weeks later, I picked up her urn at our vet. This was our children’s first brush with an unexpected death, so I was grateful it was not a traumatic one. We laughed, remembered and of course cried. They were teenagers at the time. Thank God for services like that.

mitsuhachi t1_j50vmwe wrote

We used laps of love too. It was really good to be able to wrap our dog up in his favorite blanket ans pet and sing him to sleep one last time. That dog was over the moon for our son and used to take up station outside his nursery every night when we put the baby to bed, listened to lullabies, and then stand guard outside the nursery door all night, wouldn’t even sleep in our room anymore, lol. And the grousing if we didn’t sing when we put the baby to sleep! Hoo boy. Anyway, pupper got one last lullaby and laps of love is staffed with literal angels. Highly recommend.

Biotot t1_j51cf5q wrote

We had a similar experience last month with our girl.

I can't recommend it enough for when the time comes. It was so much better than trying to transport her to the vet that she already hates and helping her walk those final steps into the office.

It was far better to have it in the comfort of our own home where she feels safe and we can fill her full of treats and love in her favorite bed.

tullisgood t1_j50f2in wrote

We did this right before the holidays for my goodest boy Tank. Having them come to your home and being able to hold your pet in your arms, in your home, in their safe and comfortable place is the best peace they can know. We used a group called Lap of Love. I highly recommend them. They give you patience and peace of mind and explain everything along the way. I know he wasn't scared, I know he was happy and he was next to me. In these situations, it is the only thing that matters. Good luck and strength to anyone going through this.

sodiumbigolli t1_j50al3v wrote

Good advice. Failing that take them to a different vet than yours and they’ll be less anxious.

JimmyTheDog OP t1_j50bxg6 wrote

My guy would know he is at a vet. The office has that smell to them that we can't detect.

halfsieapsie t1_j51brx3 wrote

Not all animals hate the vet. Out of my 5, two absolutely adore her. My dog runs to the vet door when we are there, and my cat knows everyone there and everyone knows him, and he will not let people do anything without sticking his nose in it.

What I mean to say, it's case by case basis

Muffin_Maan t1_j513xba wrote

When we put our last dog down, she was super affectionate still. She loved going to the vet and was licking everyone. It was surprising to me that 3 different people (in addition to the vet) came in to say goodbye to her. Apparently, our girl was one of the favorites for the crew that worked there because of her friendliness.

Point being, sometimes pets can enjoy visits to the vet and the familiarity of the people there can act as a comfort.

I miss my derp of a dog, and how happy she always was to see me. :(

Swampwolf42 t1_j50h7sg wrote

My only concern with this is the trauma the other pets in the house would suffer. Can any multi-pet homes that have done this weigh in?

KaneinEncanto t1_j50izz7 wrote

Given that I've read stories of cats who would be constantly looking for their roommate for days or even weeks after they were put down outside the home... the immediate trauma of seeing the act & body might be less than "not knowing" for an extended period of time.

Odd-Impression-4401 t1_j50nyau wrote

My younger cat passed with liver complications. I choose to make him more comfortable at home.

The older cat was aware of the younger cat passing, and I even let older cat check the body and she had a little sniff, and then sulked away. I think she knew.

The older cat was fine later, and I have had no issues with her missing the younger one.

I really think the closure helped her.

ksharpalpha t1_j515op2 wrote

My parents had two dogs. When one passed, we didn’t let the other see his remains. She would always go running towards other dogs that sort of look like him on her walks, looking for him.

ge93 t1_j517z0x wrote

It costs you zero dollars not to post this.

bshort939 t1_j50o9qd wrote

I did this last summer. I left my other pet inside while I had my dog, Jax, put down on the front porch. The vet suggested I let her outside once the process was done and he had passed so I did so. She came up and smelled him and was for the most part okay, just timid. I can’t vouch for all animals handling it the same way but she was fine. I like someone else that commented used laps of love and would highly recommend the service to any pet owners. Jax hated the vet and got to spend his last moments at home in my arms. It was better for everyone involved.

Taiyou_ t1_j50z09v wrote

man, my cats are only turning 3 years this year but... already thinking about putting them down makes my heart feel heavy and I start to tear up... I sometimes struggle with nightmares in which my cats die (and I really dont know why I am having those). I hope my cats live a long , happy life...I couldnt without them. :(

HotWaterCooler t1_j51271v wrote

I can totally feel you. My cat will turn 2 this Feb, and I'm on the verge of weeping after reading these comments - but you gotta enjoy the time you have with them. Why worry about the future now when you're obviously gonna worry then. Give your cats lots of love and have fun 😊

Taiyou_ t1_j5152b6 wrote

Agree! I just want to give them the best life and everything they deserve!

keepthetips t1_j509oj8 wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

mpls_big_daddy t1_j5185vh wrote

How is it a bad memory if your vet treats your baby with dignity and respect in their last hour? It seems to me, that familiar people and smells, would create a level of comfort.

We hired a service come to our house. It was peaceful and gentle. Almost exactly like u/Glittering_Dealer569 described. Really kind people.

badchad65 t1_j5154rm wrote

My usual post in these threads: Find a service in your area before you need it.

I called a service in my area and was told they usually cannot do "same day" appointments. This made them unsuitable for my pets since they each needed immediate care. Also, they tend to be a bit more expensive so that may be a factor.

I've used the same vet for over a decade so all my pups are relatively familiar with the location and practice, which helped immensely when the time came.

Koda_20 t1_j51awsr wrote

I tried to do this for my pup and none of the at home services would come to my area. I offer pay double they still will not :(

But it's ok. I brought her in on a blanket and she was pretty comfy didn't seem agitated.

Sunkisty t1_j51cgs3 wrote

Hello, JimmyTheDog. Thank you for your submission! Unfortunately, it has been removed for the following reason(s):

• Posts must begin with "LPT" or "LPT Request” and be flaired. Titles should be descriptive.

If you would like to appeal this decision, please feel free to contact the moderators here. Do not repost without explicit permission from the moderators. Make sure you read the rules before submitting. Thank you!

RiddlingVenus0 t1_j51ampu wrote

No fair, Mom said it was my turn to post this “LPT” this week.