Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CrazyStar_ t1_j5j2qrq wrote

This is not good advice btw. Completely ignores biceps, triceps, traps, abs, calves, and lateral delts. You can “sculpt” these muscles much more with targeted exercises than spamming compounds, especially if you want to build a proper aesthetic physique.

The best advice would’ve been to pick up a dedicated workout program that aligns with whatever an individual’s goals are.

mehuiz t1_j5j3qca wrote

dips uses triceps row uses traps

CrazyStar_ t1_j5j41bu wrote

Tricep pulldowns / extensions and shrugs will give you far more bang for buck than dips and rows for those respective muscles.

−2

Wd91 t1_j5j5kjb wrote

But lose out on hitting all the other muscles. Thats the whole point here. The reality is most people don't need to target specific muscles because most people aren't bodybuilding or working with really heavy weights, they don't need to impress the judges with their massive lats and they aren't going to end up with major imbalances.

Most people just need to work out their whole body a couple of times a week without spending 5 hours in the gym, which compound exercises are great for.

moonunit99 t1_j5j8ctx wrote

If this had been advice for building strength or cramming a better workout into a short amount of time it’d be spot on, but they specifically said it was a life pro tip for “sculpting muscle,” which it is not. The reason all those isolation exercises that OP is suggesting you ignore exist in the first place is because they allow you to target specific muscle groups for hypertrophy, i.e. sculpting your muscles.

Wd91 t1_j5jcv9c wrote

I do tend to agree about the "sculpting muscle" phrasing tbh. For most people "sculpting muscle" is just cutting down on snacks and cola.

bakedjennett t1_j5jtws1 wrote

Everyone is like “oh insert isolation movement is better for insert specific muscle as if the whole thread isn’t about compound movements lol

hibernatepaths t1_j5jsmpl wrote

I don’t think you understand “bang for your buck”. If you can do a tri exercise that also hits other muscle groups, that is better bang for your buck. Two birds with one stone. Three muscle groups for the time it normally takes to do one.

Bang, if you will, for buck.

Afferbeck_ t1_j5jc304 wrote

Tell me how to bench without triceps or pullup without biceps. Sure you should add extra work for these if your concern is to grow them specifically, but it would be foolish to spend more time on isolations than compounds. Especially for beginners who have no base. People should not be walking into a gym day one and sitting on a bicep machine hoping to get huge. It's like trying to ice a cake before you've baked it.

CrazyStar_ t1_j5jci4m wrote

This is what I call selective comprehension. I clearly said that anyone wanting to get into lifting should find a program that fits their needs which is much better advice than “do compounds” or “do isolations”.

−2

lebolt73 t1_j5jynne wrote

I agree that the advice of OP isn’t great or exactly right, but you’re an idiot. Rows and pull-ups use biceps. Bench press and dips use triceps. Abs are used during basically every compound workout, even if they’re not specifically targeted. Overhead press utilizes lateral deltoids and traps.

Calves, I’ll give you. But again OP isn’t giving great advice. You’re giving out literal wrong information though.

AngelKnives t1_j5jtmo3 wrote

It doesn't ignore those muscles at all.

biceps - pull ups

triceps - bench

traps - overhead press

abs - fair enough, however they are used to stabilise the body in most of these exercises, they're not really challenged. I would swap dips for an ab exercise if I were OP.

calves - squat

lateral delts - rows

I agree it all depends on your goals. For most beginners, the compound lifts are definitely the way to go and I think that's who OP was targeting.

Malk25 t1_j5jsvlc wrote

Now this is bad advice! We're talking about what beginners should focus on for building a base of strength, and you go right into thinking the "show" muscles i.e. abs and arms are the most important. Focusing on what you mentioned makes sense for early intermediates who prioritize aesthetics, not the general population.

bakedjennett t1_j5js58d wrote

Ah yes, I too speak about things I don’t understand on the internet as if I’m an expert