Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Merv71 t1_j9rr73i wrote

And always wear a helmet in case something falls from the sky.

This post is a solution looking for a problem

Sketzell t1_j9s8go1 wrote

I mean it's honestly a good tip. Just ask the burn scar on my left hand.

jbautista13 t1_j9ssbsi wrote

These people must have the mind over body of a Jedi or slow as a sloth to not see how someone could easily burn themselves while instinctively reaching out for something they’re about to drop

FlamingoWalrus89 t1_j9stsuw wrote

I think it's more likely that pulling things out of the oven is pretty basic stuff. It should be obvious when two hands are needed. And when doing so, you should be moving slowly and carefully. If you're whipping things out in a quick frenzy and don't realize the inherent risk of handling hot items, then there are other tips you should start with before this LPT. Like, take your time and think about what you're doing when you're moving large dishes full of hot liquid.

Sketzell t1_j9uheaz wrote

It's BECAUSE it is basic that mistakes happen. When you bake often you get pretty confident you know the drill and so you aren't expecting that random mistake or distraction or obstruction that causes you to react in panic. When you react in panic, your sense of logic goes out the window.

Do y'all just not cook or bake often, because I could see this being hard to relate to if baking was something you always need focus for.

mouserat_hat t1_j9ru4cr wrote

Exclamation mark!

MrPapis t1_j9t2pda wrote

In general dont ever catch anything in the kitchen. When working in a kitchen good chefs will tell you this. Save teh plate, glass, spatula sure great. But trying to save a hot item or a knife NOPE. So to make muscle memory work right in those quick automatic reactions just dont catch things. I would usually put out my foot to try and save it from the fall though. Works really well for smartphones.

TechnoCaveman t1_j9tbclm wrote

Until you try to catch a knife with your barefoot at home

MrPapis t1_j9tezks wrote

We could all use a bit more separation in the to(n)es.

Razaelbub t1_j9rn4xd wrote

Ove Gloves. Oven mitts that fit like gloves. Buy them and change your life.

Zedd2087 t1_j9v8ova wrote

The better tip would be to prepare your kitchen for what you are doing and make sure you have a clear path to what ever you need also rule #1 never catch something that is falling it will almost always end badly.

ledow t1_j9vaxp6 wrote

I have an amazing catch reflex - far better than my conscious catch action, in fact. I have caught all sorts of things totally unexpectedly and perfectly, but only if I never think about it.

Not once have I ever tried to catch anything sharp, dangerous, hot or heavy when it falls. My reaction is to step back, get my feet out of the way and let it go. I've not trained myself to do this, my brain just does that.

No amount of oven glove is going to make me try to catch a hot falling pan. I could be wearing a fireproof suit and doing it deliberately for a demonstration and I would have to fight the instinct that I have NOT to try to catch it.

Also... oven mitts... hot water... no. Perfect way to give yourself a severe scald or burn. Oven mitts, especially cotton ones, SHOULD NEVER GET WET. All you've done is caught a hot, wet pan of boiling water/oil badly and hastily and now you are holding the dangerous thing in a wet, boiling hot porous glove that's in contact with your hand and under pressure. Even silicone - you've created a perfect waterproof pocket full of your hand into which to pour hot boiling water that can't escape.

Scrap this nonsense. Make conscious efforts to not drop pans and if you do, just get the fuck away from it.

keepthetips t1_j9rk9yy wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

HockeyCookie t1_j9rp0zn wrote

Great tip. Hands get fast, and dumb.

PassionFruit_1 t1_j9u68yt wrote

Always use two hands when handling items from the oven, with heat protection

ChrisGeritol t1_j9ru3m5 wrote

Do you sharpen his crayons for him too?

−2