Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tysam_and_co t1_izwgts5 wrote

Great paper. I'd love to play with the concepts in it one day. That would be cool. Looks like a new paradigm, and as is usual for Hinton, has several decades of thought behind it. A little bit worried about the more philosophical bent he took near the end -- he's getting older and he usually does not have that grave kind of tone in his papers, as I can recall from my personal experience. I hope he, and all he is with and that is around him, is well. :') :')

AsIAm t1_izx39lx wrote

His take on hardware for neural nets is pretty forward(-forward) thinking. Neural nets started by being analog (Rosenblatt's' Perceptron) and only later we started simulating them in software on digital computers. Some recent research (1,2) suggest that physical implementation of learnable neural nets is possible and way more efficient in analog circuits. This means that we could run extremely large nets on a tiny chip. Which could live in your toaster, or your skull.

IshKebab t1_izys7ni wrote

The trouble with analogue is that it's not repeatable. Have fun debugging your code when it changes every time you run it.

I mean, I'm sure it's possible... It definitely doesn't sound pleasant though.

modeless t1_izzpcbe wrote

He calls it "mortal computation". Like instead of loading identical pretrained weights into every robot brain you actually train each brain individually, and then when they die their experience is lost. Just like humans! (Except you can probably train them in simulation, "The Matrix"-style.) But the advantage is that by relaxing the repeatability requirement you get hardware that is orders of magnitude cheaper and more efficient, so for any given budget it is much, much more capable. Maybe. I tend to think that won't be the case, but who knows.

ChuckSeven t1_j016rtg wrote

Why exactly is hardware cheaper and more efficient?

modeless t1_j02fiss wrote

Without the requirement for exact repeatability you can use analog circuits instead of digital, and your manufacturing tolerances are greatly relaxed. You can use error-prone methods like self assembly instead of EUV photolithography in ten billion dollar cleanrooms.

Again, I don't really buy it but there's an argument to be made.