Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

slade2501 t1_jc61hov wrote

unless you have a legal issue with who owns the car, you should be able to simply register your car for the usual fees and get new stickers for your plate. you will need a valid inspection and current insurance as well as a clean title. there is no problem owning an unregistered vehicle, as long as it stays off the road till you re-register it. Lots of people store vehicles for many legal reasons. registration lapses all the time.

nedasherman283 t1_jc65x2t wrote

I don’t think you need a vehicle to be inspected to register it . However you do need it to be registered to inspect it .

GhostOfLords t1_jc691qj wrote

This is correct. All you need to register it is the previous registration, proof of insurance and the mileage.

Efi_befbi OP t1_jc61m5q wrote

No, I own the vehicle. I already have done an inspection. Would i need to do another one? Thank you for the information.

slade2501 t1_jc61p4b wrote

if the inspection sticker is current, you should be good to go.

NotAMainer t1_jc6cne3 wrote

You don't need a sticker to register it. The town doesn't care if you can't drive it if you're still willing to give them tax money for it.

You do need to have it registered to get inspected, however.

Efi_befbi OP t1_jc61q5h wrote

Good to hear.

satanshark t1_jc7vuvj wrote

I have a history of registering my vehicles up to several months late. The town or city clerk will not even question it. At 150 days expired, operating the vehicle becomes a criminal violation rather than a civil infraction. I’m fairly certain the practice, at least in Cumberland County, is to not arrest the driver solely for that offense anymore, and instead summons them to court. That’s more information than you wanted, but yeah, just register your car; you’ll be golden.

slade2501 t1_jc61sxh wrote

its been my experience so far in the Portland area.

Inevitable_Raccoon50 t1_jc8rko7 wrote

You don’t need a valid inspection. Registered my vehicle on Friday and didn’t need that proof.

fridaycat t1_jc63g0f wrote

If the car was not insured, your license may be suspended. This happened to me when I was on a medical treatment for 11 months so I couldn't drive. I was charged 35.00 to restore my license.

She then told me I could have avoided the 35 dollars had I only paid for the insurance the 11 months I couldn't drive, lol.

−16

20thMaine t1_jc7mgiz wrote

Sounds like your license expired while you weren’t using it.

fridaycat t1_jcnb6yz wrote

No, they told me it was suspended because I lapsed the insurance. The car was registered, they didn't know I wasn't driving it.