Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

schreckenghast666 t1_jb2s4tl wrote

Hopefully he’ll tell all his new Maine neighbors how much better things are in Mass and run for selectman and try to change everything.

/s

wizbang207 t1_jb3gmnh wrote

$2.6M one time payment. So after taxes, that's like a down payment for a place on MDI or Cape Elizabeth.

baxterstate t1_jb4d8hq wrote

Good for him! Just goes to show that living in Massachusetts hasn’t impaired his judgment.

HIncand3nza t1_jb4j2ey wrote

Some Mass guy off my parents road bought a 40k off grid meth camp on a dirt road and then complained to the town for years about the road condition and lack of utilities at his property.

Spoiler: he sold the place I believe.

HIncand3nza t1_jb4j96y wrote

I’ve got nothing against our average MA brethren. Only the Boston suburbanites. Not even the people who grew up in the city. Just the suburbanites.

Starbuksman t1_jb4sfaq wrote

I’m mean why not- Massachusetts basically owns the coast as it is- in york county anyway….🤷‍♂️

−2

Definitelynotcal1gul t1_jb516c1 wrote

I don't want to be an old, cranky, carmudgeon. But holy hell. We've lived in the seacoast area for 30+ years now and GOOD FUCKING GOD Ogunquit has become gentrified to the extreme. It's not even the same town anymore. York is right behind.

Cougardoodle t1_jb531hp wrote

Four million will get him a lovely studio in York County these days!

Stonesword75 t1_jb58nk4 wrote

Now careful there, it can't be in this one piece of property that is virtually landlocked and far from public view because then it is destroying the natural environment and they walked through there once in their imagination, so it shouldn't be disturbed.

HeadyBeersBrah t1_jb592ep wrote

I did read the article and that's not what it says at all. I was just trying to not be a dick about it. Try it some time.

>instant ticket game prize in the form of a one-time payment of $2,600,000, according to the Massachusetts Lottery Commission.

He still has to pay taxes on it. His actual take home will be closer to 1.5M.

IamSauerKraut t1_jb5ax86 wrote

Again, for the person who is bad at observing the obvious: man wins $4 million. There is the photo of him holding the fake $4 million check showing how much the jackpot was. After taxes, he takes home $2.6 million of that $4 million.

Question: What happened to the $1.4 million that he won but did not take home?

Answer: The $1.4 million he did not take home is the amount that was withheld for taxes.

Gratuitous observation: while we hear the rumors of double taxation, this man was not taxed twice on the same lottery winnings. The state/feds will have to be happy with the $1.4 million that was withheld.

−8

malfeanatwork t1_jb5botc wrote

>Question: What happened to the $1.4 million that he won but did not take home?
>
>Answer: The $1.4 million he did not take home is the amount that was withheld for taxes.

This is not true. The prize payout is structured as 4 million by way of 200K per year for 20 years. By choosing a one time payout, you lose a lot of that money but get it immediately. That is where the 1.4 million went. He still has to pay taxes on 2.6 million.

HeadyBeersBrah t1_jb5e432 wrote

It's always fun to see how people will respond when told they are wrong about something.

Will they double and triple down and continue to be a jerk? Will they register what they've been told as new information and verify for themselves, then say oh my bad? Delete the comment? It's almost always the first option.

HeadyBeersBrah t1_jb5s9st wrote

It's a symptom of the internet, we don't talk to each other like people and when confronted even in the gentlest of ways with an opposing viewpoint or correction to a false claim it goes directly to insults and doubling down on the original claim almost 100% of the time. Where is the shame in saying"okay, I didn't know that, my bad"?

I bet he deletes the comments eventually, seems like they at least realize they are wrong now.