Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

beebobopple t1_iw7fokn wrote

Comparison is the thief of joy.

ScarletFire21 t1_iw7fx44 wrote

Thanks, Mahatma Ghandi

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw7gyq5 wrote

They’re not wrong though. At 27, I was making $40k and was ambitious and wanting more. At 28 I was making $150k and was miserable. I left and started a job I loved at $20k and was fulfilled, but hungry.

Ultimately, once I determined what I wanted my life to be filled with, I learned to prioritize my income to achieve that thing.

Now, whether I make more or less, I am content.

risinson18 t1_iw9bhro wrote

One of the best years of my life was when I was making 10k a year as a ski bum.

Edit: this was after working as a production manager making 65k a year, buying a house and losing literally everything from a divorce. The house took up my savings and the divorce took the house. The job ended unexpectedly when a business partner decided to shut the company down. I was broker than broke and lived out of my truck for 9 months.

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw9cntg wrote

That’s certainly a rough turn of events. Awesome that you found joy in it.

P-Townie t1_iw8235c wrote

May I ask what the 20k job was, or what other jobs you've enjoyed?

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw84dmi wrote

Sure!

$40k I was in the Army. $150k was a RF Engineer $20k was working with a non-profit for at-risk youth

Currently love what I do and have multiple streams of income.

Main job is $65k working at another non-profit & additional income is combo from a couple book royalties & coaching fees.

I earned a PhD in leadership and now help other nonprofits & individuals with various leadership and life choice/organizational direction issues.

All in all I was a great engineer, but I found fulfillment in helping others succeed in getting “unstuck” and being able to reach for the best version of themselves/their organization.

That’s the thing I’d do for free if all money dried up. I’m just privileged to be earning an income from it for the past 8 years.

100pushupsaday t1_iw8mkaw wrote

When I read that you had earned a “PhD in leadership“, I was dubious. So before posting here about what a crazy ass thing a PhD and leadership is I looked it up. Seems like a PhD in leadership is actually a real thing and it seems pretty interesting at that. Thanks for helping me learn something today.

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw8o2yj wrote

Thanks for keeping an open mind and not going on the attack first. The world needs more of that for sure!

P-Townie t1_iw86fxr wrote

Thanks, always looking for ideas! I would like to take a pay cut to work for a non-profit as soon as I can.

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw86ya7 wrote

It’s definitely rewarding, but the electric company doesn’t take feelings of fulfillment as payment. Arranging the budget to allow for a decrease is something that I wish I would have done BEFORE making the jump.

After a few hard years, we got things situated here so that my family of 4 can comfortably survive on relatively little… even with multiple special needs issues in the home.

Definitely doable, but takes focus to get there.

fugensnot t1_iw8gr21 wrote

Idealist.org is the best place to start. Depending on wat you're doing, expect payment mostly in gratitude and free "-athon Day" t-shirts

Alternative_Sort_404 t1_iwap97z wrote

Be wary and check them out thoroughly, though - some will use you up and spit you out, just like any other business…

ppitm t1_iw8jxim wrote

I work in telecomm and everyone hates the damn RF engineers, haha

AbortedYouth t1_iw7ujap wrote

Did Forbes give you the cover for being such a wise work/life balance guru? Did some one buy the fairy tales you write online for you to earn more money?

−60

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw7vtxx wrote

I’m just a guy on my journey who is willing to share with others what I’ve learned to help their experience be better than mine was. You’re obviously happy with your current situation. No need to lash out here.

elydakai t1_iw7uxxs wrote

You didn't have to attack that commenter

PrometheusOnLoud t1_iw8bge0 wrote

True enough statement but it is very true that it's incredibly hard to make enough money to get by in Southern Maine without a degree in specific fields. If you aren't a pharmacist, a doctor, a banker, some sales positions that have fluctuating pay based on commission, or the owner of business, you won't be able to move from the economic strata you were born in. Rural New England's economy is more or less based on the assumption that your families accumulated wealth will be passed through the generations, but this isn't a reality with the direction America is going, it will be even less so in the future.

Moving from Maine was the best decision I ever made and the only time I was able to get out of the Southern Maine cycle. You deserve to be able to at least have a chance to ascend the socio-economic ladder. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Go get it.

eljefino t1_iw96yxn wrote

You can do well here in a trade.

PrometheusOnLoud t1_iw9a2zc wrote

You are absolutely right, you can. Personally, that is not the route I wanted to go, and it can only take you so far before you must open your open business to continue.

Yah though, you are correct.

Jesus_Was_A_Fungi t1_iw8p0jq wrote

When I was 25 I was making $100 a month. My housing and 2 meals a day were included in my job. I was having the time of my life. Only when I moved back home and realized that people had been saving money, buying houses, starting families, did I feel like a loser. So yeah, you're doing fine, but you're no Jeff Bezos. But at least you're no Jesus_Was_A_Fungi at age 25 either. u/beebobopple is correct. You'll never be happy if you compare yourself to other people, because there is always someone who is better or richer than you.

bor-harbar t1_iw8mh1d wrote

making comparing salaries a taboo suppresses wages, benefiting employers at the expense of employees.

ecco-domenica t1_iwbkaf5 wrote

Comparing salaries to achieve equity in the workplace is fine. Comparing your worth as a person based on your salary is not useful.

bor-harbar t1_iwbl4tn wrote

I agree with that. It seems like we would need a better understanding of what op means by their question: am I doing okay? I also think it’s fine if op doesn’t want to share or elaborate any further.

DueceBigalow207 t1_iw81loo wrote

This so true. Many people, included myself now and then, need a reminder of this these days. This whole idea that EVERYTHING is "unfair" and should be just handed to young kids is crazy. Equality of opportunity but NOT of outcome.

P-Townie t1_iw82xde wrote

I'm really disgusted by this attitude. If you're not against capitalism you're enabling abuse.