Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

beebobopple t1_iw7fokn wrote

Comparison is the thief of joy.

ScarletFire21 t1_iw7fx44 wrote

Thanks, Mahatma Ghandi

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw7gyq5 wrote

They’re not wrong though. At 27, I was making $40k and was ambitious and wanting more. At 28 I was making $150k and was miserable. I left and started a job I loved at $20k and was fulfilled, but hungry.

Ultimately, once I determined what I wanted my life to be filled with, I learned to prioritize my income to achieve that thing.

Now, whether I make more or less, I am content.

risinson18 t1_iw9bhro wrote

One of the best years of my life was when I was making 10k a year as a ski bum.

Edit: this was after working as a production manager making 65k a year, buying a house and losing literally everything from a divorce. The house took up my savings and the divorce took the house. The job ended unexpectedly when a business partner decided to shut the company down. I was broker than broke and lived out of my truck for 9 months.

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw9cntg wrote

That’s certainly a rough turn of events. Awesome that you found joy in it.

P-Townie t1_iw8235c wrote

May I ask what the 20k job was, or what other jobs you've enjoyed?

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw84dmi wrote

Sure!

$40k I was in the Army. $150k was a RF Engineer $20k was working with a non-profit for at-risk youth

Currently love what I do and have multiple streams of income.

Main job is $65k working at another non-profit & additional income is combo from a couple book royalties & coaching fees.

I earned a PhD in leadership and now help other nonprofits & individuals with various leadership and life choice/organizational direction issues.

All in all I was a great engineer, but I found fulfillment in helping others succeed in getting “unstuck” and being able to reach for the best version of themselves/their organization.

That’s the thing I’d do for free if all money dried up. I’m just privileged to be earning an income from it for the past 8 years.

100pushupsaday t1_iw8mkaw wrote

When I read that you had earned a “PhD in leadership“, I was dubious. So before posting here about what a crazy ass thing a PhD and leadership is I looked it up. Seems like a PhD in leadership is actually a real thing and it seems pretty interesting at that. Thanks for helping me learn something today.

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw8o2yj wrote

Thanks for keeping an open mind and not going on the attack first. The world needs more of that for sure!

P-Townie t1_iw86fxr wrote

Thanks, always looking for ideas! I would like to take a pay cut to work for a non-profit as soon as I can.

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw86ya7 wrote

It’s definitely rewarding, but the electric company doesn’t take feelings of fulfillment as payment. Arranging the budget to allow for a decrease is something that I wish I would have done BEFORE making the jump.

After a few hard years, we got things situated here so that my family of 4 can comfortably survive on relatively little… even with multiple special needs issues in the home.

Definitely doable, but takes focus to get there.

fugensnot t1_iw8gr21 wrote

Idealist.org is the best place to start. Depending on wat you're doing, expect payment mostly in gratitude and free "-athon Day" t-shirts

Alternative_Sort_404 t1_iwap97z wrote

Be wary and check them out thoroughly, though - some will use you up and spit you out, just like any other business…

ppitm t1_iw8jxim wrote

I work in telecomm and everyone hates the damn RF engineers, haha

AbortedYouth t1_iw7ujap wrote

Did Forbes give you the cover for being such a wise work/life balance guru? Did some one buy the fairy tales you write online for you to earn more money?

−60

JayhawkInMaine t1_iw7vtxx wrote

I’m just a guy on my journey who is willing to share with others what I’ve learned to help their experience be better than mine was. You’re obviously happy with your current situation. No need to lash out here.

elydakai t1_iw7uxxs wrote

You didn't have to attack that commenter

PrometheusOnLoud t1_iw8bge0 wrote

True enough statement but it is very true that it's incredibly hard to make enough money to get by in Southern Maine without a degree in specific fields. If you aren't a pharmacist, a doctor, a banker, some sales positions that have fluctuating pay based on commission, or the owner of business, you won't be able to move from the economic strata you were born in. Rural New England's economy is more or less based on the assumption that your families accumulated wealth will be passed through the generations, but this isn't a reality with the direction America is going, it will be even less so in the future.

Moving from Maine was the best decision I ever made and the only time I was able to get out of the Southern Maine cycle. You deserve to be able to at least have a chance to ascend the socio-economic ladder. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Go get it.

eljefino t1_iw96yxn wrote

You can do well here in a trade.

PrometheusOnLoud t1_iw9a2zc wrote

You are absolutely right, you can. Personally, that is not the route I wanted to go, and it can only take you so far before you must open your open business to continue.

Yah though, you are correct.

Jesus_Was_A_Fungi t1_iw8p0jq wrote

When I was 25 I was making $100 a month. My housing and 2 meals a day were included in my job. I was having the time of my life. Only when I moved back home and realized that people had been saving money, buying houses, starting families, did I feel like a loser. So yeah, you're doing fine, but you're no Jeff Bezos. But at least you're no Jesus_Was_A_Fungi at age 25 either. u/beebobopple is correct. You'll never be happy if you compare yourself to other people, because there is always someone who is better or richer than you.

bor-harbar t1_iw8mh1d wrote

making comparing salaries a taboo suppresses wages, benefiting employers at the expense of employees.

ecco-domenica t1_iwbkaf5 wrote

Comparing salaries to achieve equity in the workplace is fine. Comparing your worth as a person based on your salary is not useful.

bor-harbar t1_iwbl4tn wrote

I agree with that. It seems like we would need a better understanding of what op means by their question: am I doing okay? I also think it’s fine if op doesn’t want to share or elaborate any further.

DueceBigalow207 t1_iw81loo wrote

This so true. Many people, included myself now and then, need a reminder of this these days. This whole idea that EVERYTHING is "unfair" and should be just handed to young kids is crazy. Equality of opportunity but NOT of outcome.

P-Townie t1_iw82xde wrote

I'm really disgusted by this attitude. If you're not against capitalism you're enabling abuse.

RatherNerdy t1_iw7g07i wrote

$46k at 27 isn't bad, but have some goals of where you realistically want to be at 35 and figure out:

A. If your current career path will get you there

B. What changes you'll need to start making to get there

C. How do you start putting towards retirement

Lorindel_wallis t1_iw7k7rf wrote

You guys are able to put stuff towards retirement?

KYazut t1_iw7se1j wrote

Compound interest is a hell of a thing. Not to make too many assumptions, you can likely sock away 5-10% of your pretax paycheck and still afford to live. Wish I had committed to that in my 20s.

Moonstonedbowie t1_iw84f77 wrote

Same here. I didn’t start until my very late 20s (34 now)but I had a job before that that did a 1% retirement match that I should have taken. Now my job matches 4% so even though it’s not much I contribute that much. I only have like $5k in the account but it’s better than nothing. I’ll be able to pay for a month at the nursing home someday.

tmssmt t1_iw9nugq wrote

Even at just 5% returns on the money per year, if you didn't invest another dime, it would be worth 21k in 30 years

The more you put in early the better - that same amount compounding 40 years would have been worth 35k at 5%

Quick note, historically the S&P 500 has averaged over 10%

iamnotamangosteen t1_iwaa7hf wrote

What kind of account is this? I’m new to adulting and my employer doesn’t offer retirement fund benefits but I would like to have my own

RatherNerdy t1_iwainaw wrote

You can put money ( up to $6k a yr) into your own IRA, and pick investments.

If you have an employer that participates (sponsors) a retirement account ( often matching up to a certai npercentage that you deposit every paycheck) is a 401k

tmssmt t1_iwbot22 wrote

I used to recommend Robinhood just because it was free and no per trade costs or anything, but I think that's pretty common across the board over the last few years.

Either way, the platform doesn't matter a ton (as long as it's free).

Once you're in, you just put money into SPY or something like it. It's basically a single stock that represents 500 of the top companies.

Another bonus for Robinhood, it allows fractional shares to be purchased. So if a single share is let's just say 1000 dollars, a lot of people would have to save up for quite a while just to purchase 1 share. Robinhood (and I'm sure some others) allow you to invest with just those 5 dollars. I pretty much exclusively buy and sell in dollars these days rather than in shares.

I mentioned SPY as the one to buy, but there's probably a dozen or so other S&P 500 indexes by other names, their overall long term value is going to be pretty similar.

I set up recurring automatic withdrawals from my bank account a few days after pay day (into Robinhood) as well as an automatic recurring purchase of more shares every 2 weeks as well.

It's really a set it and forget it thing, you're not trying to buy low sell high or anything - you're just putting in money hoping that the us economy continues to grow. The companies in the sp500 change over time as new top performers rise and others fall, do they're doing the work for you.

Warren Buffett constantly tells people that this is the best long term strategy. Over a short period, a single stock can perform better, but long term trying to buy and sell and play the market just isn't anywhere near as reliable or safe

If sp500 stops growing long term, it's only because America stopped growing

mainegreenerep t1_iw7x6zi wrote

Even at my most broke, I saved for retirement. So much rice and beans, only free entertainment. Sucked at the time, but that little bit a month, starting at 20 gets amazing with compounding.

tmssmt t1_iw9nk5p wrote

I put 800/month towards retirement + whatever my 401k takes automatically (5% of 80k)

MGossyn t1_iwb7lph wrote

I put 15% of my paycheck towards retirement. I adjusted spending to do this and I don’t even notice its taken out.

opuntina t1_iw7mls3 wrote

Yeah. Some of us got skills in fields that pay well.

−12

Lorindel_wallis t1_iw7nh3h wrote

In a society with as much excess and wealth as ours, no job should pay so little that people can’t retire comfortably and enjoy life.

opuntina t1_iw85s6l wrote

Go get another job. I went back to school for an in demand skill and worked

−3

GeeFLEXX t1_iw7w8yd wrote

Why?

−7

[deleted] OP t1_iw7xgjw wrote

[deleted]

GeeFLEXX t1_iw7xlk3 wrote

The person I responded to didn’t mention blue collar at all.

−3

[deleted] OP t1_iw7y0qt wrote

[deleted]

opuntina t1_iw87i7s wrote

Blue collar worker here. Their statement is wrong.

GeeFLEXX t1_iw7z7o1 wrote

That has no bearing on the assertion that every single job should allow people to “retire comfortably and enjoy life.” I’m asking the other commenter why they think that. If you have any thoughts on that I’d be interested in hearing them.

−4

[deleted] OP t1_iw7zpt0 wrote

[deleted]

GeeFLEXX t1_iw80gpf wrote

I can sort of see that argument. I do think “market demand” comes in different forms, though. The demand for a barista to make you coffee is convenience (laziness) whereas the demand for, say, renewable energy infrastructure and its design/engineering is quantifiable necessity with climate change and the depletion of fossil fuel reserves. Therefore, even though both jobs have market demand, one is more critical than the other. This isn’t even factoring in the supply of individuals able to perform each job.

[deleted] OP t1_iw814ze wrote

[deleted]

taanman t1_iw86wyx wrote

The best answer I have ever read in my life. Your retirement and slice of pie is what you put in.

opuntina t1_iw87v5b wrote

Nobody is forced to do anything. They aren't stuck being a barista against their will. I know because I went from a line cook at a dead end place to a trade where ill be making close to 200k. No college. No debt. Options exist.

−2

[deleted] OP t1_iw8fd92 wrote

[deleted]

opuntina t1_iw8g5is wrote

I stand by my statement. Nobody is forced.

−4

[deleted] OP t1_iw8h514 wrote

[deleted]

opuntina t1_iw8l8p2 wrote

You speak about this as if people are forced into low paying careers with no opportunity to leave. U act as if the only solution for them is to have other people sacrifice their money. I disagree.

−1

[deleted] OP t1_iw8hflp wrote

Retirement? Pretty soon, retirement won't be a thing!!!

−2

blackkristos t1_iw7l274 wrote

This is the right answer.

−8

heady-cheese t1_iw7jtxg wrote

Hey, I am a year older living in the same town with a similar salary. I judge my situation to be comfortable, and happy, I would say you are doing more than ok! Some of my peers make more, some less. Some have whole ass families at this point. Kind of a wierd age we’re at right now.

But our bills are paid, and bellies full. Considering most of our parents were able to buy houses at around our age, we aren’t doing so bad given the circumstances.

ScarletFire21 t1_iw7k926 wrote

Good point. Some dude my age was complaining about making $70k the other day and I had to find an exit. Couldn’t believe it

AssumptionLivid6879 t1_iw7oxey wrote

Ive complained about making a household income of $250k, I’ve complained when I made $150k, 50k, 35k, 20k (32 years old now). Ultimately it’s finding happiness and balance in your current situation. It’s amazing how the middle class trap is set up where you can always end up paycheck to paycheck if you don’t practice smart spending. It’s the exact same concept of body weight.

At the end of the day you need to consider the balance of work and time. Your salary with a solid 40 hours (never need to stay late, never need to fly for work, never need to commute more than an hour, never need to work early) is a good deal

passthepeanutbutter t1_iw84z13 wrote

This! It amazes me how an increase an salary sounds amazing at the time and can help with a lot of things, but it is still very easy to live paycheck to paycheck. In the last 5 years I’ve gone from $45k to $100k and I feel like my spending has just gone up with it. It’s a hard thing to reign back in.

opuntina t1_iw88wop wrote

Bad spending habits and poor money management will do that

PuzzleheadedMine2168 t1_iwbswfw wrote

So will changing your family size from ONE to FOUR with two added kids--as the person above did. Don't be "that person" who doesn't understand how expenses work.

toolstudio t1_iw8dnf0 wrote

Same here for time and pay. Except now I have a 3 yo, a 15 yo step kid and a house rather than cheap rent from a family member. Doubled my pay, but money's even tighter.

Xyzzydude t1_iw8ehix wrote

Contentment with enough is not an easy attitude to adopt but it makes life so much better. It took me until my 50s to figure that out, don’t be like me and wait too long.

Watches-You-Pee t1_iw9a6gl wrote

Keep in mind salary is only half the picture. If he makes 70k but has considerably more debt than you then you may be living more comfortably than he is. There's a lot of factors that play into how comfortable you are living.

Source: I make a good salary but have a lot of debt

cathar_here t1_iw7ol9e wrote

If he’s in an industry that’s paying in the range of 70-90k he would/could be mad but that’s why you should never compare yourself to others and just go with what you need and know

tonyforeman t1_iw7krh0 wrote

I wouldn’t talk about what you make etc at work. There is always someone who makes more / less . I think you are doing good for your age and circumstances. Find a goal and work towards it.

−14

ScarletFire21 t1_iw7l1bm wrote

Wasn’t at work, was outside of work in a social setting

tonyforeman t1_iw7l2zb wrote

Same rules

−17

AssumptionLivid6879 t1_iw7pk1m wrote

Wrong. This is why people are underpaid; talk about salary with the people you work with (that you trust), your manager, and your friends.

People that underpaid are either taken advantage of or don’t have talent. If people can bark up the tree to ask for more money, they need to be able to handle the truth on why they’re not making more money.

DidDunMegasploded t1_iw8krm9 wrote

> (that you trust)

highlights in underline with Sharpie furiously and then points

I was raised to never talk about how much I have or how much I make with anyone, especially in these times with inflation. People can and will fuck you over, especially if you make a lot.

But I digress. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Garrick420 t1_iw7tza7 wrote

Not talking about it openly just helps employers keep peoples wages down.

ApprehensiveDeer9530 t1_iw7gifx wrote

I'd say it's okay for your current standard of living, but it would be tough if you want to own a home or have a family in the future. I'd start making a 5-year plan to get yourself to where you want to be.

Also, you say you're in the golf industry, but that can be so many different things! Are you a golf course manager? A pro/instructor? Other?

PatsFreak101 t1_iw7vqd6 wrote

I would have clubbed an old lady to death to be in your shoes at 27. You’re doing fine.

SheSellsSeaShells967 t1_iw7jrb5 wrote

I have a kid your age making about the same salary as you. He only has a vehicle payment and his rent is a little less than yours but not much. I feel like he’s doing pretty well. But like others have said, start having something like a five-year plan and specific goals.

MuleGrass t1_iw7k9k2 wrote

If you are on the growing side of golf making that in Maine then you are doing well. I spent 20 years in golf and never took a job in Maine because the pay was laughable. If you are on the growing side and want to make more I am hiring a bit north of you for considerably more, sameish job (not growing pot)

Vegetable_Ranger_495 t1_iw8149k wrote

Sounds like you're quite stable given the economic/historical context. I would avoid comparing yourself to given cultural benchmarks as they are always changing with the change of the global economy, do what you can to look for your happiness internally.

[deleted] OP t1_iw7n2ks wrote

That’s pretty good for Maine. You can have a decent life for that here. You should travel while you’re still young.

Management_Friendly t1_iw7uzez wrote

you're doing' good kid. many, many people would kill to be in your shoes.

blutigetranen t1_iw8h7v0 wrote

Are you doing okay compared to... what? Why compare? Do ends meet with room to spare? Are you happy with your job? Does it offer room to grow? A high pay ceiling? Are you content? Income isn't everything. The sooner you learn that lesson, the better.

Jmanorama t1_iwa4ukv wrote

How the fuck are you doing that good? Fight to clear $30k, tons of debt, wife is the same. Idk how everyone else in here is like, “yeah, not bad” when I’d KILL to be in your shoes. Not exaggerating either. Most people I know aren’t doing that good, regardless of age. Idk what I’m doing wrong, but you’re at least making $4-5 more an hour than I do.

saigonk t1_iw7elag wrote

Where do you work and what is your job? That's an important detail in order to judge if you are spot on, or far off.

ScarletFire21 t1_iw7ezkk wrote

Won’t say where I work. I work in the golf industry

tonyforeman t1_iw7kjgp wrote

I’ve seen Caddshack , you’re overpaid 🤓

[deleted] OP t1_iw7lbti wrote

[deleted]

−19

tonyforeman t1_iw7lic3 wrote

I was joking . Of course. I also work at a golf course . But my ringtone will forever be Kenny Loggins.

saigonk t1_iw7rng0 wrote

If it is at a course then I suspect your salary is about right. I dont think you'll fine courses paying you $80k a year.

ScarletFire21 t1_iw7s0if wrote

If I moved to Mass or NY I could make that all day and twice on Sunday though

saigonk t1_iw7s9xb wrote

I know this sounds harsh, but move to mass or NY then if you want to make that kind of money. My point is I dont think you'll find that here in Maine, most courses aren't setup fiscally to support such a high salary.

Maybe Falmouth County Club, etc. but most local courses run tight on money.
Not to say that you shouldn't ask for more, if you feel you are worth it, then point it out and ask.

KdawgEdog t1_iw7x9va wrote

I moved to Houston in 2014 I was making more money there and it was cheaper to live, but personally for me that didn't matter it was not Maine and I love maine, I just moved back and I will figure it out. You may love it in NY or MA, but these are factors to think about. Money comes and money goes.

drgordy t1_iw7vgcn wrote

And your cost of living would be twice as much or more.

matt9191 t1_iw7uile wrote

How is your work/life balance? Definitely consider that as you think of careers.

Baymavision t1_iw81v1p wrote

If you've got some sort of savings/investments (IRA/401k type thing), then I'd say you're well ahead of the curve.

ScarletFire21 t1_iw82f7a wrote

I have a years salary in a brokerage account and 10k in a 401k

Baymavision t1_iw82m19 wrote

Damn, keep it up! Sounds to me like you've got your shit together!

ScarletFire21 t1_iw82y8s wrote

Ok thank you. Like I said, most days I feel like I’m fine and then I’ll run into some dude who is spewing off about money and his salary and in my head I’m like “ugh. This guy is doing better”. Which is something I need to avoid like everyone is saying

squirrels_rootbeer t1_iw8gbgf wrote

I’m 44 and that kind of talk has been going on since I graduated college in the late 90s. A lot of them also lost their ass in the recession and the fall of Enron (from Houston originally). Sounds like you’re doing great. I know plenty of 60 somethings that don’t have a penny saved for retirement.

Alternative_Sort_404 t1_iw8ellt wrote

Keep saving no matter what you do… I just left a pretty good paying job that was driving me nuts (middle-management hell).
The only reason I can afford to do this AND take a little time to find a new job is because I bought a duplex house (years ago) and rent on the other unit basically pays the mortgage… so I’ve been able to save. It’s worth considering if you’re planning on sticking around. Maybe a little farther from Portland? The house isn’t best location, neighborhood… but it was affordable - the key to any purchase ever.

Inner-Measurement441 t1_iw8cdnw wrote

If you're happy, you're good. If you're miserable, you're not good. "Rent", may push you to find a salary of approximately $20K more a year so you can break that cycle after a period of saving.

whogivesashart t1_iw991y3 wrote

You're killin' it dude. Use condoms and don't eat out too much.

Voltron1993 t1_iw8wrpb wrote

Don't comparee yourself to others. You will just be miserable. Do you make enough money to:

1. Pay your bills and living expenses without using a credit card?

2. Save money into an emergency fund?

3. Save money for retirement?

4. Have spending money to eat out once in while, go to a movie, etc?

5. Take a vacation.....even if in Maine?

If you answer yes to all of these questions, then your doing pretty good. Keep in mind wealth is relative. $46K in southern maine is like $55K in central Maine, etc.

But also don't get complacent. Keep on learning, get certs, a degree, etc to build your skills. Stay hungry.

Mr_Finley7 t1_iw9gswx wrote

Rent is that high in Biddo? I thought those were Portland prices

ScarletFire21 t1_iwai0em wrote

No, a decent 2 bedroom in Portland will run you $1800 per month and up. Even in Biddo, a decent 2 bedroom is $1400-1700. That’s for a decent one with nice appliances and not a sketch building. I see one bedrooms and 2 bedrooms in Biddo for under $1400 per month here and there, but they are gross as hell and not worth it.

Mr_Finley7 t1_iwdjgsr wrote

I don’t know why but I was assuming we were talking about a one bedroom, my bad. I still can’t believe Biddeford rents are keeping up with Portland’s. The housing/rental market is an absolute horror show. But from what I’m hearing from friends in NH maybe that’s just the price we have to pay for the “privilege” of living in NE.

Mb they intentionally want the poor to fuck off to some red state dystopia.

ScarletFire21 t1_iwepgro wrote

No, it’s a lot of demand and not enough supply. Plain and simple. No other ulterior motive. Couple that with a historic region of the country that still maintains a lot of draconian laws in regards to building new affordable housing and old zoning laws etc etc etc, and the supply that IS out there is 90% of the time of older quality. Go to Phoenix AZ and $1500 per month apartment gets you a brand new luxury 1 or 2 bedroom with a bidet and your own personal Asian masseuse. In Biddeford, Portland, Westbrook, or any other “affordable” cities in Southern Maine, $1500 gets you a toilet meant for an ass the size of the Keebler Man, heat that doesn’t work, neighbors with missing teeth and a 23 year old non-verbal son, and a homeless guy who sleeps underneath your bedroom window. Lol.

DemonKnight42 t1_iw9xjo8 wrote

So, there are over 155 comments here by the time I am posting this. So forgive me if someone said this already. I will give you the advice that I wish someone gave me at your age. Your job/career doesn’t NEED to be fulfilling. You need to be fulfilled. What I mean by that is that when I got out of college I worked multiple different jobs from teaching, to becoming a police officer to sales, making anywhere from 25k/yr to $150k a year, taking pay cuts for a job that was “helping people.” It wasn’t until I realized that my priority was making the money that allowed me and my family to do what we wanted outside of work and a job that had an appropriate work life balance for me. I realized this in 2019 and made the change 4 months before everything shut down. It was the best decision I’ve ever made. Do I love my job? No. Do I like it? Yes. But I would leave tomorrow for something that offered better terms for me and my family. It’s exceedingly unlikely for that to happen and thus I’m perfectly happy where I am currently. I work remote, live in the sticks on 2.5 acres on a private road.

TLDR: Work to live, don’t live to work. Do something that allows you to live the life you want. Whatever that may mean.

Bluepaint1 t1_iw7tacx wrote

I'm in the exact same situation, just in Augusta. I think we're doing fine!

OriginalGordol t1_iw7uyr3 wrote

Are you able to afford the life you want with the income you have? If so, then you're doing OK.

9wild9 t1_iw7wmer wrote

You’ll always find people doing better and doing worse. All that matters is if you’re happy and finding joy within your daily life.

MaineHippo83 t1_iw814ur wrote

Do you have roommates?

I lived in the DC area in 2007 started at 49 and my rent was probably 1200 or so...

It's doable but you aren't going to get ahead fast. Much better to have a roommate or work to increase pay

Alarming-Parsley-463 t1_iw81xf9 wrote

I wasn’t making anywhere near that much when I was 27 but then again things were way cheaper then

AndiWhyte t1_iw8g8a4 wrote

I'm 30 making $45k a year near Bangor. I don't live lavishly but comfortably with my partner and feel confident with my first child on the way. If you can sleep sound and don't have to worry about how you're going to eat, I'd say you're doing just fine.

KnownDegree4888 t1_iw8iv30 wrote

If you are happy, you are doing really well

kegido t1_iw8j86o wrote

Are you saving money for retirement and in case of emergency? Financial experts say you should have 6 months of salary saved up. I work in a hospital, I can tell you that life has a way of throwing curve balls just when you think things are great…

ScarletFire21 t1_iw8qhmn wrote

Yes. I have 9k liquid cash in my money market account. Life is currently throwing me a curveball this coming winter when I have to head back to school and get a certification for work. So I’ll be making less money due to not being at work as much and spending money on tuition. But I’m ready for it

DidDunMegasploded t1_iw8l1ub wrote

Sounds like you have good money management skills. Keep it up. People with those skills will ride the wave of inflation and such easily.

[deleted] OP t1_iw8mnna wrote

Are you happy?

ptmtp26 t1_iw94vky wrote

I’d say your doing perfectly fine, especially debt free.

Lcky22 t1_iw9vz44 wrote

Having no debt at your age is a significant accomplishment. Well done!

[deleted] OP t1_iwahavq wrote

I’m 35 and discovered I don’t give a damn what people think about my life. I live frugally, cook unimpressive but cheap and healthy meals (healthy like bean soups, salads, etc), and decided to live as far below my means as possible. I have some healthy savings which lessens stress. I about fell over when I heard like 50% of those making 100k are living paycheck to paycheck. Life isn’t a rat race and and so many people that look happy are usually miserable and poor as fuck trying to keep up with others. Or they haven’t found contentment just being who they are and buy crap to feel better

Mudz_Wins93 t1_iwbsmrd wrote

It’s easy. You either want extra money, or extra things. You either keep your spending to a minimum not buying unnecessary things, or you spend up to and beyond your means living “the high life” with debt and no safety net or savings.

Eastern-Ad-8403 t1_iw7ksmi wrote

If the job you have allows you to live comfortably while giving you time and energy to do fun and fulfilling things, then you are doing fine. Enjoy what you have! You are not ahead or behind. You are where you are. Plus Biddo is really coming around to be an awesome place to live! Go have a beer at one the breweries or get a treat from Reilly’s Bakery!

ladykatytrent t1_iw7plm6 wrote

It depends on what you want out of life. If you're happy doing what you do, then be happy doing what you do. If you're not, or if there is something that you would like to change, then start making moves to change it.

ShinjisFeels t1_iw8qili wrote

I think you're doing just fine, and for the sake of comparing if we tally on global income percentiles you're above and beyond many others.

As long as you're spending less than you earn and invest and/or save the rest to meet your short term, medium term, and longer term goals then you don't need more.

tmssmt t1_iw9n2tn wrote

30, central Maine (or whatever you call area around Augusta), 80k/year

Married, household 160k, couple of kids

Mortgage ~1800

MalyutkaB t1_iwan1q1 wrote

You're doing alright. If you feel alright and enjoy life well your doing pretty good.

Also remember that reddit is full of people that will lie about how much they make in responses to these types of questions so when people throw out a large number just to end it with that they struggle its usually some weird put down attempt. Pay no attention.

myoneseriousaccount t1_iwarejh wrote

I make over triple what you make and have no debt, but my cost of living is so high I live like I'm poor. So, enjoy whatever comfort you can find ... And never move to Boston.

badfan t1_iwb32bh wrote

You're doing fine. The days of achieving greatness, or at least better than our parents are over. If you're not starving or starring down the barrel of an eviction notice, then you're doing just fine.

boogilations01 t1_iw7o263 wrote

Thats decent for 27 IMO. I'm on track for a little more this year but ive pulled several 100+ hour weeks so im paying for it.

roundeye2020 t1_iw7q7ej wrote

You're doing great. Keep on it and get after some good times.

attack_chicken3841 t1_iw7rlnt wrote

Are you working a job or is it a career? Is your next step greater than where you are today? Is what you’re doing today going to build on where you are in 10 years? If not, consider a change.

ScarletFire21 t1_iw7skgt wrote

Yes it is a career, getting a degree in the field. And yes I will be moving up over time

DueceBigalow207 t1_iw82f70 wrote

If you are happy and financially stable I think you are doing great! Especially since you have no debt! Stay grateful b/c you're in a great spot! I would always strive to do better and set achievable goals though as drive for constant growth and improvement in ones life is important. I think that life is most fulfilling when we are constantly pushing to improve ourselves around all areas and not just financially.

[deleted] OP t1_iwa8e6q wrote

[deleted]

Mrtbutacat t1_iwajdmz wrote

You're doing great dude. Biddo can suck but you are a lot better off than like 90% of the people I know.

metalandmeeples t1_iwbcpsl wrote

When I was 27, I was making ~$40K a year.

ecco-domenica t1_iwbjwz4 wrote

You're fine. No debt is excellent. Start stashing something away for retirement, even if it's just a little bit every week that doesn't even seem worth it. From someone who wishes she had.

R3lak t1_iw7tfhy wrote

The more money you make, the more they take away, unless you reach the unattainable .01%. I’d say, be happy with where you are but always strive to achieve higher goals. Once you make more money, look back on you’re life right now and ask yourself what’s better.

−2

clh72481 t1_iw8vh8z wrote

Once you minus your rent a year you only have 28,600 . You are still poor.

−2

clh72481 t1_iw8v1mp wrote

You are still considered to be poor.

−5

General_Krull t1_iw7x2nj wrote

This is the dumbest post I've seen on here in a while.

−8