Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Bywater t1_iyay0l8 wrote

I hope they wildcat.

Our labor protections were never much more than lip service, the bare minimum required to keep the labor movement from then 1920's from burning the whole show right to the ground. They don't teach it in schools for the obvious reasons of not wanting people to know how powerful collective bargaining and industrial action can be, but it was a bloody violent conflict that had the state backing the wealthy elites at every opportunity. Every single strike was called a "riot" in the press and met with violence from both police, private mercenaries and in some cases the military itself. The thing is with the rampant abuse of wealth in our government, citizens united, politicians clearly violating their ethics by taking money, sweet gigs when they are done, insider trading... You all know what I talking about that at this point the only thing that will save us from some kind of dystopian capitalistic corporatocracy is going to be a real rebirth of the labor movement. We are ripe for it, way to many people are working full time and still can not survive, these rail workers were treated fucking horribly, when you cant make it anyway and your life sucks even when you are pissing away your ticks on the old clock making some rich prick richer, might as well strike.

MSCOTTGARAND t1_iyal993 wrote

Industrial trades are a nightmare. Chasing work, ridiculous hours, yeah the pay is great and benefits are phenomenal but you're a slave to the trade and hope you live long enough to enjoy your pension and annuity. I left the boilermakers to take care of my kids but I worked a 5 month job that turned into 2 years. 13 hours a day, 7 days a week with only Thanksgiving and Christmas off. It was supposed to be 12s but the plant wanted an hour turnover to so they wouldn't lose a second of work.

Bywater t1_iyaykrs wrote

For sure. They only way to enjoy life in the trades is to hang your own shingle, or maybe find a co-op or partnership where everyone involved has the same mindset. I know so many guys in the trades who have the house, all the toys, the kids and never get to see any of it. They just end up physically and mentally broken and bitter by the time they hit 40.

PGids t1_iycjyq5 wrote

The outage heavy trades especially; I’ve been on a “seven day” turbine outage that lasted 63 days because we realized just about everything that could be cracked was cracked lol

I miss those paychecks and perdiem like a bastard but I can pull the insane hours where I’m at now and sleep in my own bed every night

SparseGhostC2C t1_iye0syi wrote

>benefits are phenomenal

If you can't get a day off to go to the doctor without 30 days written notice, those benefits are not phenomenal

LumpyBumpyToad t1_iyctjdi wrote

The railroad industry made 20 bn in PROFITS last year.

If you don't support our RR workers getting paid sick leave and a little vacation you're a giant piece of shit and I'm not going to pretend otherwise for a moment.

So put down your anti-labor, anti-union mostly-right-wing bullshit and show up for your communities for once. They're not asking for too much and if you think they are you can fuck right off to suicide-net China where you belong.

MaineBoston t1_iybc8jn wrote

Great idea! Will do this tomorrow!

Wjbskinsfan t1_iycwqzl wrote

Unfortunately this only encourages them to enact provisions in The Railway Labor Act to force rail workers to accept a deal they don’t want to. All of the “pro railroad workers” talk coming out of Washington is complete BS and political spin.

baxterstate t1_iye9nye wrote

Did the railroad workers initially have sick days which were taken away, or did they take the job knowing there were no sick days?

WhiteMainer t1_iycfwq0 wrote

What is the outcome you’re hoping for? Is it “supporting railroad workers” to force them to accept a contract? Or is if pro railroad workers to allow the negotiations and bargaining to continue.

Hard to claim you have leverage if the government is going to force your hand in the end to accept a deal, no?

Frirish11 t1_iybu5lz wrote

Motherclucker! I just posted about this on my fb account. What a hypocrite! I’m a card carrying member of the National Writers Union and he thinks he can ride on his Plastic Paddy Irish coattails and throw my fellow union sisters and brothers under the bus of filthy lucre, then he’s got another think coming. I have not yet begun to write.

−1

Mag72207mrg t1_iyd0c2c wrote

Why, they don't care about us or what we support.... They care about their wallets.

−4

[deleted] t1_iyam7tm wrote

[deleted]

−21

pogchampnibba69420 t1_iyanv0h wrote

Federal reserve caused inflation, not workers

RelativeMotion1 t1_iybvchs wrote

Maybe I’m missing it, but it doesn’t seem like they implied causation?

Seems like they’re worried that a railroad strike would cause a temporary increase in cost, while inflation is already high. Which seems fairly reasonable, but is apparently controversial?

weakenedstrain t1_iydl0t6 wrote

The controversial piece is that workers want quality of life, owners pulled in $20 billion last year alone. Owners like Warren Buffet can allow workers to have FOUR unpaid days off, instead they get ZERO days off.

It’s barbaric. Almost as barbaric as blaming the workers for choices made at the executive level.

In_betweener t1_iyd9rwb wrote

Corporate profits caused inflation, not the reserve.

pogchampnibba69420 t1_iydr0ob wrote

Quantitative easing policies of jerome powell caused everything bubble

In_betweener t1_iydrvf1 wrote

we were on this path under Yellen...but its not either of them that is the cause.

_Schneebley t1_iydsht3 wrote

Exactly, The Fed can only do basically 2 things, raise interest rates to curb inflation and purchase assets (and lower interest rates) during an economic crisis. Thats...it... They don't control spending, taxation, ect. They only control the money supply and provide liquidity to the market. Federal Reserve is only reactionary to what Capitol Hill is doing and the economy at large.

Fireonpoopdick t1_iybu0eh wrote

Maybe they should get more sick days then if you don't want them to go on strike?

Sunomel t1_iydmnf4 wrote

*I sure hope the railroad owners give in the the workers' demands and don't force a strike

​

FTFY

bent_peepee t1_iyb48tq wrote

oh jeez don’t tell them about healthcare workers who’ve been through worse.

how much training do you need to do that job again?

−23

turd_sculptor t1_iyba5zj wrote

Can you imagine that both railroad workers and healthcare workers deserve better? Do you think that railroad workers getting a better contract for themselves somehow takes something away from healthcare workers?

The railroad workers get no sick time. None. Sick time is a standard for workers in a lot of the rest of the world.

bent_peepee t1_iybab2o wrote

I don’t get any sick time either. I also understand the free market. would love to further this conversation. your turn.

ETA: I love your username.

−18

metatron207 t1_iyblq79 wrote

And you deserve sick time, too, even if you lack the most basic understanding of solidarity.

Emp3r0r_01 t1_iycyoaa wrote

Unionize...

bent_peepee t1_iyd1ibw wrote

others in my line of work have and regularly worry about negotiations and strikes. unionization is not panacea. some do very well, for sure, but not all.

−2

weakenedstrain t1_iydlg0g wrote

Well yeah, as long as all the power lies in corporate with the government backing them, these are worries. Forcing a contract in workers who rejected it will strengthen the worries your friends are feeling.

Emp3r0r_01 t1_iydn2xj wrote

I agree with this entirely. The only time unions are a draw back is when governments screw them over and let corporations or local governments screw people. A great example of this is public ed. without the right to go on strike it hampers the ability to negotiate!

Fireonpoopdick t1_iybtw5v wrote

Then form a Union? Or be a little bitch and move jobs because you're so cucked by your workplace you won't even try and improve your own life, maybe try being less weak and pathetic?

−10

bent_peepee t1_iycmscn wrote

thank you, definitely not an incel redditor. i don’t think you could have used any more redpill buzzwords there if you tried.

Suitable_Turnover835 t1_iy9xi71 wrote

I'm confused on the matter, so the average rail worker makes 24-30 dollars an hour, has good benefits, and retirement funds etc. why are we calling representatives?

−28

PGids t1_iya4csj wrote

It’s not a pay issue, look into BNSF and their Hi-Viz attendance policy; even the revised version is completely asinine. The company basically owns you and you’re penalized for damn near any time you take off

Oh but you can earn some of it back! By working 14 days consecutively. As someone who also works in heavy industry currently (pulp and paper millwright) and has worked 40+ days in a row during turbine shutdowns as a contractor, lack of rest days is how people get complacent and die

mymaineaccount46 t1_iy9xyfu wrote

Not all of the railroad unions ratified the new contract and they will be going on strike in a week or so. Congress has the power to intervene so people will want you to call either to support the workers, or to support preventing the strike.

It's a rough situation that we should all hope gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction before a strike. A strike will make a hard winter even worse.

Suitable_Turnover835 t1_iy9yehu wrote

Okay so I'll call and tell them to avoid a strike and if rail workers don't think they make enough they can go work somewhere else cause thats what the rest of us have to do.

−36

lintymcfresh t1_iya3bx6 wrote

they get no sick time and 1 personal day a year with this proposed contract. solidarity between workers is more important than quitting to work a shittier job

MTcountry26 t1_iyaft4p wrote

No, it’s not a “make enough “ issue. It’s a quality of life issue, a work life balance issue.

Many railroad workers are On Call. 24/7/365. There are no days off. Scheduling time off for doctors visits dental appointments, hell let alone an afternoon off for personal time ends up costing the employee points against them. Enough points acquired in a period of time and they’re fired. We want sick days. PTO. That’s what the disagreement is about.

Bywater t1_iyay8mo wrote

They can't feel your tounge through that boot Bub. Carrying water for the owner class will just leave you tired and friendless.

ServiceMX t1_iyavcae wrote

They have 0 days off and zero sick days. If they get sick they get fired. Try to put yourself in their shoes for a single moment.

Fireonpoopdick t1_iybtqzp wrote

Or you could stop being a bitch and unionize? Or are you too weak and pathetic to actually talk to your co workers and form human connections enough to organize as a work force?

Bywater t1_iyaxbdn wrote

I am going to guess with the easy to find amount of information as to why they are striking that there are a great many things you are confused about.

boozerkc t1_iyauu75 wrote

That’s kinda shit pay these days, then the rail companies own you and overwork staff to avoid hiring enough people.

Yourbubblestink t1_iy9w8ld wrote

It’s a tough call because we need to have the situation resolved

−29

sy33d_am33r_ali t1_iycz83q wrote

All they are asking for is 4 paid sick days per year. It’s not a fucking tough call at all. It’s an incredibly reasonable demand. They just need to give them the sick days.

Yourbubblestink t1_iydd1gk wrote

Also a 24 Percent raise

−1

Cultural-Creme-7475 t1_iydsp8p wrote

After years and years of little to no raises

Yourbubblestink t1_iydvq3v wrote

That’s true in many fields.

−1

iglidante t1_iye2lms wrote

That doesn't mean these workers shouldn't push for it.

Yourbubblestink t1_iyed76k wrote

Right but it’s also not a reason to let the American economy collapse. There are plenty of workers who have not gotten colas. In fact, annual increases, don’t even exist in the world of nonprofits.

a_pirate_life t1_iyehbjx wrote

You're arguing that the US economy essentially still requires slavery, albeit shifted from chattel to wage slavery.

Just by the way...

Yourbubblestink t1_iyerqjl wrote

No, we’re not talking about slavery. In fact, that’s a super dramatic comparison to try to make.

We’re talking about a negotiation in which people are unhappy with what’s being offered to them. That’s a long way from slavery my friend it’s called capitalism.

Fireonpoopdick t1_iybtz9h wrote

Let's just call in the Pinkerton's then and just end the strike by putting bullets into their heads like the good old days, right?/s

fredezz t1_iyag29p wrote

Everybody wants more money and better benefits. And realistically speaking, always will.

−31

Bywater t1_iyaycdi wrote

Tell us you have not even looked at the reasons they are striking without telling us you didn't even look at the reasons they were striking...

psilosophist t1_iyb44om wrote

They’re asking for sick days. Not even more sick days, just sick days in general.

And you’re being a dick about this?

fredezz t1_iybsbd2 wrote

Can't you fucking read...everyone wants more money except you

−15

weakenedstrain t1_iydl5e2 wrote

Can you fucking read? The pay is settled. They want ANY sick days.

a_pirate_life t1_iyehtlz wrote

You can actually buy your own boot polish instead of licking it off.

fredezz t1_iyeqaky wrote

Now, now, be nice...your acting like a hamster

Fireonpoopdick t1_iybu21c wrote

Yes, so you form unions and go on strike when you want better benefits?? Like they are doing?

fredezz t1_iybuedf wrote

Maybe you should point out where I said I had a problem with that strike...

−2

iglidante t1_iye22py wrote

If you didn't intend for your comment to actually mean anything, why did you leave it?