Submitted by YahYah2424 t3_zvwdb3 in Maine

Hey everyone,
My husband and I are in our 50's and we're looking to get started with Snowboarding. We're not sure what sort of gear we'll need. I think our plan is to sign up for either private or semi-private snowboarding lessons at Lost Valley, since work scheduling conflicts with their Wednesday night 8-week learn-to-snowboard program.

Would anyone have any idea what we should be purchasing for gear?
What should we expect as far at the experience goes?

We have winter Jackets and snow pants. Do we need to purchase helmets at this stage? Goggles? Special gloves? What's the rental scene like?

Total newbies, here... any help, advice, anecdotes,.... all are welcome!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

athermalwill t1_j1rp39h wrote

I would recommend taking your winter gear to a resort and renting. Rent a board, boots, and helmet, and sign up for lessons.

Snowboarding is fun, but be prepared to fall down a lot on the first day. Most people find that the second day is when the fun begins.

Laeek t1_j1rj9bc wrote

I'd get a helmet. You're not going to be going fast at first but you might be falling and there's always the chance of hitting your head when you fall. I'd get goggles as well so you're not squinting all day if it's sunny and your eyes aren't watering all day if it's windy. You'll probably want some sort of ski gloves, your hands will be touching snow a fair bit so you don't want cloth gloves that'll get wet easily.

Lessons will probably start with the instructor walking you a ways up the mountain carrying your boards and teaching you the basics over a short area. They won't just stick you on the chairlift right off. Probably just rent your board and boots from the mountain to start, I'm sure they have a rental/lesson package.

As an aside, are you sure you don't want to learn to ski? I snowboard and kind of wish I learned to ski instead. Don't always have to be strapping/unstrapping a boot to get around, easier to get around on flat areas, and skis are faster.

BellaPow t1_j1riiq1 wrote

First, very cool! For your first times I say just rent all the gear, and definitely, for sure, no doubt, use a helmet (it will be available to rent as well) because it is all but certain that you will fall while learning and groomed snow won’t feel very soft at impact. If you really want to treat yourself see if you can snag some padded hockey shorts too! Hopefully you can find some that fit over your snowpants. If you find you like it and think you’ll be doing it often, then it does quickly become worth it for ease as well as cost to begin acquiring your own equipment. I found learning to ski easier than snowboarding (I learned both in my early 30s), but experiences differ. Laughing at yourself and staying loose helps, and maybe grab some epsom salts for a nice long bath at the end of the day! Have fun!

justnocrazymaker t1_j1rpfey wrote

I agree with comments saying rent gear until you decide to stick with it.

Mt Abram offers beginner packages for like $90 which includes lesson, rental, lift ticket, and helmet. They’re also offering $35 lift tickets all winter. Might be a bit of a haul but it’s pretty quiet, not too intimidating for beginners, fun family mountain vibe.

hike_me t1_j1ril28 wrote

Would definitely recommend purchasing a helmet and good snowboarding specific gloves. Rent your board and boots until you’re sure you’ll stick with it.

The new gear is great. I snowboarded in the 90s and dropped off in college. Started back up 8 years ago using my same 90s era Burton LL Bean edition A-deck then after a couple years upgraded to a Burton Flight Attendant and it was a HUGE improvement.

Some mountains occasionally host demo days with Burton or other makers. Take an opportunity to try different types or rental and demo gear, and get advice from your instructors before you make a decision on buying your own gear.

MaryBitchards t1_j1rz7hs wrote

Also, kudos for trying something new! We get so many messages that if we haven't done everything by the time we're 35 we might as well not bother and just sit home. That's such a depressing way to think. Good luck on your new adventure and I hope you love it!

Suitable_Turnover835 t1_j1uzjrf wrote

At 50 you absolutely NEED hockey pants, padding. You and your butthole will thank me, ask me how I know...

RitaPoole56 t1_j1uwebf wrote

I tried boarding only once at age 44 despite growing up in NH. My eldest son took advantage of lessons at school and we decided to join him fora family day.

My wife knew how to ski and my daughter joined her. That left me with my 7 year old son who wanted to be like his brother. Not wanting him to be alone I decided to try boarding too.

We started out together on the “bunny slope” but the kids were promptly moved along in their own group leaving a few adults to struggle on our own. I was wearing jeans and slammed onto the snow so many times I was wet and achy in no time. My knees and butt were soaked and sore so much that I couldn’t even make it to the chair lift.

Knee pads and snow pants are my strong recommendations!

Marisa2290 t1_j1rkp4p wrote

Board - binding - boots - helmet - goggles

wzl46 t1_j1rnmae wrote

Snowboarding specific helmets are awesome. They keep your head comfy and warm, even on the coldest days. I started out with an old Pro-tec skateboarding helmet that had no insulation, and nearly froze my head off.

As a new snowboarder, you will likely spend a lot of time on the ground. Just make sure that you have some sort of waterproof layer below the waist.

Good luck and have fun. You’ll be hooked once you link a few turns and can make it a good way down the mountain.

coolcalmaesop t1_j1se7un wrote

Absolutely recommend lessons. Anyone can learn but lessons definitely speed up the process and help solidify skills. Definitely make sure you have a good coat, pants, and gloves and good layers - as you go up the mountain and cool off from a run it gets cold quick.

Some different advice from what you’ve received- make sure to be hydrated and nourished so that your muscles are ready to work and be prepared to be sore. Snowboarding is a lot of squatting back and forth on your heels and toes and you’ll be sore as your muscles acclimate. If you feel discouraged in the beginning keep in mind snowboarding gets better as you gain skill and move up the mountain. The snow is usually packed hard from traffic near the bottom of the mountain but as you move up you’ll find runs with pillowy soft snow that will be so much fun to ride through. Don’t forget to have ibuprofen on hand for the ride home! You’ll sleep well during those weeks!

wtd12 t1_j1seron wrote

Get helmets. Can’t stress this enough. Have fun . You will hurt.

JAP42 t1_j1skgci wrote

For boarding helmet and wrist guards. Maybe butt and hip padding. Your going to fall a lot at first. Learn to fall first, then learn to ride. Lol.

9wild9 t1_j1t0u67 wrote

Keep your edges up.

drsuciogato t1_j1td9co wrote

Pillow for butt, volleyball kneepads, so much ibuprofen for day 2.

Traditional_Hawk3568 t1_j1vxrr8 wrote

Check out play it again sports in Portland! They have a great selection of used gear for if you do decide you like and don’t want to rent all the time but don’t want to commit to $$$$$ for gear! My kids are 8&10 and they are both skiing and snowboarding now so I’ve just gotten used stuff for them

Silktrocity t1_j1x8sfy wrote

Rent everything at first. Only invest in equipment if you enjoy it and want to continue.