Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lipsticknic3 OP t1_j8x1l55 wrote

I wish I had recorded the conversation. It just went round and round because he wouldn't be straight with me about whether I passed or failed and I left thinking I failed haha. He looked so uneasy with my questioning, but he just wouldn't give any straight answers and kept upsetting $800 tires and pushing hard that he could get them there in 4 days if he placed an order now. Crazy!

AbrasiveDad t1_j8x4nqk wrote

If they won't show you why or how it failed then never stop pushing. If they seem shady keep asking questions. Especially if they won't say whether it passed or failed. Also remember that if you pay for an inspection in Maine and it fails they have to give you a list of the items that failed. You have 30 days to fix those items and you can bring it back to the same place and they have to waive the inspection fee to check the work was completed.

lipsticknic3 OP t1_j8yzgks wrote

That is good to know! My driver's education was another state and some things I have sadly, had to learn as I go. First lesson- 6 or 7 years ago when I first got the car, it was my first vehicle in Maine. I had not had a vehicle for about 8 years by that point. So hurray! The day after I got it, some kid rear ended me. I got out and got the insurance. He asks if we should call the police and I was like nah, I don't see any reason to. He looks bewildered but all right. Haha Old Town police contacted me just to let me know I should be happy they didn't arrest me for leaving the scene of an accident? I was like, um, thank you Officer? It was weird. So I learned that in Maine, call the police every time! Glad the police did not arrest me for that. Phew. I have no idea how they even found out, maybe the kid's parents called them? Where I grew up it is very populated and unless you're also calling the ambulance, you don't call the police. Only if someone got hurt. They have better things to do there I guess.

Live and learn. Now have learned to hate VIP.

Longjumping_West_907 t1_j8zjtqu wrote

VIP is the worst but plenty of other places will do the same thing. Sullivan Tire has a similar reputation. Some places pay a commission to the inspector for work generated by the inspection. So they get a bonus for finding problems with your car. Rowell's in Dover Foxcroft is a great place but a little far from Newport. You want to bring your car to a small independent shop, not a chain.

eljefino t1_j94bobn wrote

They don't have to waive the fee, it's just standard practice.

FWIW "The sticker station", another scam, charges for re-tests. It's legal but they have a sign (with the seal of the State of Maine) insinuating all shops charge for re-test.