Submitted by LordFly88 t3_yagllo in MechanicalKeyboards

I don't know anything about custom keyboards, but I need to build a keyboard that is COMPLETELY custom. Like so custom that I think I need to make my own circuit board and run it from a raspberry pi. I need a completely different layout, but also a few key functions they don't even exist. Am I right in thinking I have to build everything myself from scratch, or are there custom keyboards out there that allow for this kind of stuff? Thanks everyone!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Tweetydabirdie t1_itb092i wrote

Since you aren’t giving any details it’s hard to answer your question. There are plenty of diy keyboards around that have unique layouts, maybe one will fit you.

If not the most popular way to make your own keyboard is to 3d print the case and have the plate cut by a laser cutting service, and then hand wire the circuit together.

Tell us more, and we can help more.

LordFly88 OP t1_itb16p8 wrote

Sorry, should have given a bit more. Needs to be ortholinear, every key the same size (with the exception of one that is 2 wide). Sort of similar to this actually https://spacehop.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Ortholinear-keyboard-design.jpeg but a column or two narrower. Will be my own custom layout (because qwerty is garbage). But also I want to chord with it and use additional modifier key to adjust the cords, so I need to be able to fully program output based on which keys are pressed/held.

Tweetydabirdie t1_itb1dmz wrote

So basically a preonic? And you would need QMK to program it.

LordFly88 OP t1_itb1zfh wrote

Hmm, yeah almost. A little wider though. I'll have to look into how programmable that actually is. But definitely on the right track!

Tweetydabirdie t1_itb296c wrote

It’s 100% customizable once loaded with base QMK.

Btw if you figure out your size, just google it. Likely someone made it if it’s just grid ortho.

LordFly88 OP t1_itctphr wrote

Cool, ill not familiar with QMK, I'll have to check it out.

tipsy_typist t1_itb37kw wrote

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for but ai03 has a PCB design guide which you can follow. For physical design of the case, I like to start at Keyboard Layout Editor, since that gives me a visualization of the layout, plus I can use it to help with firmware stuff and case/plate design, with the help of ai03's plate generator. The ras pi interfacing stuff I don't have anything to help with off the top of my head. But reading your other comment, that can already be done in QMK, just make sure the keyboard layout on host side are all consistent and voila. For instance, my Reviung39 runs a custom workman layout that's tailored to me and as long as host side all use standard US intl layout, it works all the same regardless.

duby_legato t1_itcegho wrote

Buy an Elite-C microcontroller board and build with QMK

LordFly88 OP t1_itcxfdb wrote

That's a cool looking one, I'll definitely have to check more into that!

duby_legato t1_itczu3j wrote

It will make your life easier. To get up and running quickly,

You can export the code files from kbfirmware if you want to make more advanced changes, like adding a rotary encoder.

LordFly88 OP t1_itdb0qx wrote

Excellent information, than you so much!

Exembe t1_itcikyd wrote

Do you have silica and other raw materials to make the pcb boards? You need raw plastics and copper to for wires

LordFly88 OP t1_itcxrr6 wrote

Haha, maybe not quite that far from scratch

MayAsWellStopLurking t1_itei8iu wrote

checkerboards has quite a few ortho boards in 40/45/60/65% sizes.

LordFly88 OP t1_itettjx wrote

I think I want to do 5x14, and I don't see anything quite that size on there.

MayAsWellStopLurking t1_itevstp wrote

LordFly88 OP t1_itew0ke wrote

But not split ;)

MayAsWellStopLurking t1_itex13j wrote

LordFly88 OP t1_itf3bsj wrote

Maybe I'm following the link wrong or something, but that's a 6x19

MayAsWellStopLurking t1_itf6bbb wrote

It is. I wasn’t sure how exacting you needed it to be. The id75 Is 5x15 and fits a 60% case perfectly, so your desired 5x14 layout might need a custom PCB and case If you’re rigid on that layout option.

LordFly88 OP t1_itf7fg4 wrote

I'm pretty solid on that size. I could go 5x15, but it would just be a whole column of keys that I don't have a use for. But if it fits in a 60% case, it'll likely save me a whole pile of other headaches, so might be worth it.

sowoky t1_itb145n wrote

Why does your keyboard need a raspberry pi or "functions that don't even exist". Your going to be connecting it to a computer, I presume.. make the computer do the work..

LordFly88 OP t1_itb1bfn wrote

I'm going to be connecting it to various computers and I want it to behave the same on all of them without any setup on the computer side.

shubashubamogumogu t1_itb29bc wrote

>I want it to behave the same on all of them without any setup on the computer side.

That's exactly what QMK does on a tiny microcontroller. No need for a Pi.

NintendogsWithGuns t1_itcawor wrote

Pi is inefficient for this task. What you want is a microcontroller, which is fully dedicated and draws less power. Plus there’s more support via QMK, which will do everything you need. Remap keys, change debounce algorithms, add macros, tweak polling rate, cycle RGB effects, you name it.

My advice is to just get an existing PCB and make a custom case. Throw a STM32 in there if you want the best stuff. If you’re dead set on designing everything from the ground up and sticking with a Pi, you’re going to spend months developing the damn thing and it’ll still need an external power source.

LordFly88 OP t1_itcv56v wrote

My original plan was an ESP32, but the pi has the advantage of showing up as HID keyboard. That was the only reason I we thinking of thing that route. I'll definitely check out QMK first.