Submitted by Cori91 t3_10qaabn in MechanicalKeyboards

Hello guys!

I'm a new Mech keyboard user. I daily drive a Logitech K120, but I wanted to try something better like a Hot swappable Mech keyboard so I borrowed my friend's Keychron K4v1 (red optical switches), Logitech G613 (RomerG "tactile") and Akko CS Jelly Pink "custom" keyboard converted from a Redragon Kumara 552. Just to get a feel for them. I felt like they all actuated too fast and too easily even by resting my fingers on the keycaps. My wrist never tensed up, didn't hurt by using any of them.

I want to use the keyboard mainly for gaming (and some light type stuff).

My K120 felt good by force needed to actuate so I figured maybe I need a more heavier switch or one that actuates lower.

I researched for about a month. I chose the GMMK2 96% because I really like the looks (no besel, naked swtiches from the side, low profile or whatever it's called), and I can change anything else on it if I want in the future. And the Glorious Fox Switches actuate with 45g and at 2.2mm, they feel good for gaming, no misclicks here I can rest my fingers on the keycaps too. And I'm much better at typing too with them. SO I like the board overall BESIDES ONE THING.

I's too damn tall!

The dimensions say it's 3.75cm but on the Numbers' Row it can be 4cm, on the Function row it's even higher at almost 4.5cm! It's extremely draining for my wrist to use these rows for gaming. (like for MMOs to cast spells i have to spam keys to activate as fast as possible).

For typing I looked at my posture, (never before I checked this all 31 year of my life) my left wrist stays on the table from gaming because I use WASD all the time for that, and my right hand hovers over. My right hand is fine, my left though I can feel the tension in that one after 10-30 minutes. It's not unbearable but it's uncomfortable. (and I guess it can get even worse) My old Logitech K120 is 2.2mm tall only, my wrist and hands lay flat on it, it's extremely comfortable because of it. (Logitech G613 is 3.3cm tall but I never felt any tensions, could it be beacuse of the wrist rest built into taht? Although the Redragon Kumara 552 has around 3.3cm height again, and I had no problems with that)

The GMMK 2 is sligthly angled upward too, so that's why it's hard to press the keys above the WASD keys (like numbers and function), but even general typing makes my wrist tense up.

The original prebuilt GMMK 2 comes with OEM keycaps, I checked around and the Logitech K120 has DSA-like keycaps as far as I can tell, and DSA is on of the lower hegiht keycaps too, almost 5mm lower than OEM AND I find these comfortable to rest my fingers on too, Cherry keycaps felt a bit too sharp when pressing the A button as my finger rests on the left side of the A button). Could these new keycaps help with the wrist angle stuff? What the heck should I do? Return the keyboard? (I have 1.5weeks left to return it) Can i do something with it? I know that wrist rests exist but I'm not sure if spending more money on the setup is the answer. Is the Logitech G613 comfortable because of that? because the Kumara ahs the same height and it's comfortable without it.

I can understand the "learn to type properly" stuff, but I can't hover during gaming, it needs to rest there, and I mainly game with my keyboard anyway.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give as much info as I can. Thank you for reading.

TLDR: Bought GMMK 2, It's too tall for my left wrist during gaming, using WASD and they start to tense up. It's only happening to my left wrist/hand. What could I do with it? Return it? Would a change to DSA from OEM keycaps help? (5mm difference) I know about wrist rests but I'm not sure if spending more is the answer here.

Comments