Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DevinBelow t1_j8ypdaq wrote

I don't get it. OG = orginal. How can your original lineup not be your first lineup?

If by "OG" lineup, you mean their "best" lineup, then I disagree about Pink Floyd. They were never anywhere near as creative as when Syd was writing the songs. They were still good, but Syd was on another level.

birdlass t1_j90rkmx wrote

Yeah I'm also confused. The other commenters either just made their own assumption or somehow understood lol.

BreadPanda92 t1_j8yokdd wrote

Guns N' Roses (Traci Guns was the original lead guitarist, not Slash)

Journey (Steve Perry didn't join until album #4)

Black Flag (Henry Rollins was their 4th lead vocalist)

Misfits (Doyle was their 3rd guitarist)

Edit: Faith No More (Mike Patton joined for album #3)

IrishKev95 t1_j91m0c8 wrote

Not gonna lie though, Journey's first two albums are my favorite Journey albums. They have this "classic rock" feel to them that got turned a little more "pop" as Journey kept going. "Look Into the Future" is such a good album.

PancakeProfessor t1_j8yr6ft wrote

Nirvana went through a few drummers before finding Grohl. Pantera originally had a different singer before they really found their sound after Phil Anselmo joined.

OblivionGrin t1_j8zrhoh wrote

Tool. As good as D'Amour was on Undertow, Justin is a perfect fit between Danny and Adam.

Nightgasm t1_j8yrn5z wrote

Nightwish - their best lineup was 2012 to 2020 with their 3rd but best lead singer and 2nd bassist / Co lead singer. The latter has since retired from the band.

Journey - Steve Perry and Jonathon Cain didn't come in til several albums in.

Fleetwood Mac - Stevie Nicks and Lyndsey Buckingham came later.

Heart - Neither Ann nor Nancy Wilson were original members. Ann joined a year or two before Nancy did.

REO Speedwagon - Kevin Cronin was a replacement for the original lead singer.

birdlass t1_j90rpco wrote

>Nightwish - their best lineup was 2012 to 2020

While I don't disagree that it was a great period for them, IMHO their best album was Dark Passion Play.

A shame they went through so many singers, I wonder why.

thisgirlnamedbree t1_j91nd4x wrote

I knew of Nightwish back in the early 2000s when they had their original lead singer but really didn't listen to them. I rediscovered them during Covid with their third singer Floor and heard the supposed stories of why the band fired the first singer, Tarja, due to conflicts with her husband/manager who allegedly tried to get her to leave to be a solo act. The second singer Anette was radically different and while they had the most success with her (Imaginareum is my favorite album from them), she was also fired for what exactly I don't know why, but I do know she wasn't the best live singer. (She still sounds miles better than me on a good day). They hit gold with Floor though. If she ever left the band would probably be done.

Nightgasm t1_j91tiv1 wrote

>The second singer Anette was radically different and while they had the most success with her (Imaginareum is my favorite album from them), she was also fired for what exactly I don't know why, but I do know she wasn't the best live singer. (She still sounds miles better than me on a good day). They hit gold with Floor though. If she ever left the band would probably be done.

Anette got pregnant in the early part of a world tour and was going to need to take time off. She and the band could not come to an agreement on what to do. The story the band gives and Anette gives is actually pretty similar. They discussed either canceling the world tour or getting a temporary replacement singer. Anette was okay with a replacement singer as long as it was not Floor Jansen but Floor was the bands top choice as she was available and they had a preexisting relationship with her as Floors prior band After Forever had opened for Nightwish. Floor was actually their top choice to replace Tarja in 2005 but After Forever was still going and Floor was unavailable. Anette in her own words didn't want Floor because she knew fans would love Floor and reject her.

So then one night in Denver about an hour before showtime and after the opening acts had played Anette is rushed to the hospital with stomach / pregnancy issues - I believe she was only about 4 months along at this point. Band is faced with choice of canceling or playing without Anette. Elize Ryd and Alissa White Gluz were both part of Kamelot at the time (they are now the lead singers of Amaranthe and Arch Enemy) who had opened. They agreed to try and sing for Nightwish that night. They didn't know the songs beyond having heard them but with printed out lyrics they then fronted Nightwish for the night. There is a documentary on YouTube called The Denver Debacle but I think it would be better called The Denver Miracle given how great the two sounded given they only had an hour to try and learn the songs. Here is a fan video of them doing Storytime while holding papers with the lyrics on them. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQsON8D6--U

Anette was furious though they replaced her like that and a huge argument erupted. She played one more show with Nightwish and was done. Whether fired or she quit is unclear. Then with just 48 hrs to go Floor Jansen flew from Europe and joined the band for their first show in Seattle.

[deleted] t1_j8ynzu1 wrote

Soundgarden, Nirvana, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Rolling Stones…

Kadink t1_j8yy4ye wrote

Styx

Jethro Tull

Moody Blues

Blood Sweat & Tears

Jefferson Airplane

Yes

Yardbirds and King Crimson, maybe, though they could be considered to have more than one 'OG' lineup (Fleetwood Mac is in this category too)

birdlass t1_j90rwlx wrote

OP what do you mean? OG is meant to mean the first.

The_Fro_Ranger t1_j91vaxh wrote

Soundgarden

Coheed & Cambria

Megadeth

Metallica

Slipknot

The Eagles

Senior-Sharpie t1_j923h1p wrote

Deep Purple: The original lead singer was Rod Evans who went on to being lead singer for supergroup Captain Beyond. Doobie Brothers when Mike Macdonald replaced Tommy Johnston. Genesis when Phil Collins replaced Peter Gabriel

RHCPandJF t1_j8yt4fv wrote

Interpol, Nirvana, twenty one pilots

MarilynManson2003 t1_j8ziq5w wrote

Marilyn Manson

NIИ

Avenged Sevenfold

Public Image Ltd.

Fidelio62 t1_j8zj47l wrote

Red Hot Chili Peppers detail

Founders: Anthony Kiedis, Flea, Jack Irons, Hillel Slovak

Classic Lineup: John Frusciante, Flea, Chad Smith, Anothony Kiedis

(Edit) Past members include: DH Peligro, Cliff Martinez, Jack Sherman, Dave Navarro, Josh Klinghoffer, & more

bottle-of-smoke t1_j901d0d wrote

Poco

The Strawbs

Fairport Convention

Jefferson Airplane

analogasaurus t1_j902x8i wrote

Amon Amarth - Martin Lopez is a fantastic drummer, his work with Opeth is fucking stellar. But Fredrik truly defined the AA sound. They haven’t been the same since he left.

Spare-Show-339 t1_j91cq5v wrote

Nirvana, they had to go through a ton of other drummers before they settled on Dave Grohl

NotMadeOfSteele t1_j927jne wrote

Death had a different lineup every album, Chuck Schulinder was the only constant member.

Micahman311 t1_j928ah4 wrote

311 had a different guitarist way back in the late 80s named Jim Watson. He went skinny dipping at their local YMCA and was taken back home to his parents still naked. Police Code 311: Indecent Exposure.

He was replaced with the amazing Tim Mahoney (who just celebrated a birthday yesterday), and they've held that line up ever since Jim left, also in the late 80s.

Well, SA joined a little later than Tim, but then I guess you could say that when SA joined, the real 311 started. There are many early tracks recorded before SA joined, but I don't know that any of them are Jim Watson on guitar.