Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

feedus-fetus_fajitas t1_je6yc27 wrote

What about Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Black Flag, Anti Flag, just to throw a few contenders out there.

NoFX is great. I like fat Mike. I listened to the Decline a hundred times when it was current... Not sure I can call any one bad the " most punk"

thud83 OP t1_je6z04h wrote

Likely a good response… And even NOFX says ‘the Moron Brothers’ are more punk then they are. Fictional, but more punk. Given, it maybe a bad question in the first place. The real question would be,” who embodied, personified and pushed punk the farthest in their band”

feedus-fetus_fajitas t1_je70iau wrote

That's hard to to say too... Define "punk".

For instance,, I fucking loathe that anyone even knows the name GG Allin... But some will contest he was the most realist hardcore "punk extreme" ever..

When he was actually a disgusting sack of shit with multitude of mental health issues.

Mr_Firley t1_je79y26 wrote

Actually the The Moron Brothers are NOFX drummer Erik "Smelly" Sandin and their roadie DJ. That's who the song is about.

uncouthyouths t1_je7h7k9 wrote

Propagandhi could be a contender for embodies, personified, and push punk the most.

thud83 OP t1_je6ymc2 wrote

Bad Religion is a good contender in this arena. Not feeling 100% about the others. DK is punk, but I feel falls a bit short

−2

feedus-fetus_fajitas t1_je6zmo4 wrote

I think Jello alone holds a pretty punk attitude whether I agree with everything or not. But from 1978 to 2019... That's a punk Band through the ages... I'm not qualified to even give an opinion on some of their history and rationale because I was not around during it.

Antiflag has been staunchly rooted in political activism in their music, unwaveringly. I'm not a huge fan of theirs but it is what it is.

Black flag is mentioned only for Henry Rollins. He's ultimately a guy who tries to live well and offer his insights, which I think is pretty punk.

Bad Religion is honestly the one I put up as the potential crown snatcher.... They are just so damn good.

Airwolf_BDTW t1_je6yjvj wrote

In American "first wave" punk: Dead Kennedy's, Black Flag, and Fugazi all have an argument, IMO.

If we include English punk, probably lots.

Trobus t1_je71bia wrote

Wouldn’t first wave punk be Ramones, Patti Smith, The Voidoids, and Television? Fugazi didn’t even form till ‘86.

Airwolf_BDTW t1_je728tl wrote

I don't want to get into the tedious genre debates, but I personally think of Television as "proto-punk".

In terms of the timelines, first wave English punk is basically 1976-1980 in my mind. Punk was basically over in England when the 80s got going.

When it comes to American punk rock, I think of the first wave as extending out to around the mid-80s. I will readily admit to not being a big Fugazi guy, so I wasn't aware they had formed that late.

This is all quite subjective and IMO only.

Accurate-Witness-446 t1_je7agdr wrote

I think the whole English punk thing was Malcolm McLaren recreating what he first saw in New York. Punk there transitioned into hardcore thanks to the Bad Brains.

Airwolf_BDTW t1_je7gpan wrote

That seems pretty unfairly reductive to me. McLaren was obviously hugely influential via the Pistols, but there was a lot more to the English punk scene than just one band that was together for less than three years.

Trobus t1_je7eskx wrote

Although I disagree and think that the California hardcore thing is more of a second wave, you’re entitled to your opinion, and totally valid, but why is Television seen as a proto-punk band? Not just from you, have seen it mentioned before. They were very much apart of the original New York thing, started around the same time as those other bands, Marquee Moon wasn’t released until 77’, wouldn’t they need to be, like, before the thing to be proto, not during?

Title26 t1_je7oz81 wrote

It all gets rather complicated because the shift from the first "punk" bands to offshoots in hardcore and post-punk and metal subgernre all happened in a very short span. The Ramones first album came out in 1976 and within the span of just a few years, "punk" had already taken many new forms. Hell, Pere Ubu was making "post-punk" in the late 70s before some albums we would consider classics of the punk genre even came out (The Modern Dance predates London Calling by a year and their first single in 1975 predates even the Ramones). Black Flag had already pioneered LA hardcore and then put out the first Sludge Metal album in 1984 while many hardcore bands were just getting started, and a couple years prior, bands like Minutemen and Squirrel Bait were starting "post-hardcore" while at the same time Bad Brains were putting out classics of regular old hardcore.

All that is to say, new genres were starting before their "predecessors" had stopped developing. I'd agree with you that Television isn't proto-punk. It's post-punk, even though it came out during punks heyday. It all changed so fast it kind of blends. Which is why it's easier to classify based on sound than time.

I would consider The Modern Lovers self titled album to be proto-punk even though it came out in 1976, the same year as the Ramones self titled (a true "punk" album) and the same year as early Pere Ubu stuff ("post punk").

Some-Support4455 t1_je722cq wrote

Minor Threat comes to mind. Straight Edge was a movement within the wider punk movement. You gotta be pretty punk to rebel against the conformity of anti conformists

Deatsu t1_je6yoom wrote

I don't have much to add. I listened to a lot of punk bands when I was growing up, mostly underground local stuff, attended dozens of gigs, got a lot of bruises and a broken finger. And yet, no band ever made me think as much as NOFX did, mind you I was 15-18 but still, I'll never forget the first time I've heard The Decline and how much it stuck to me all these years.

thud83 OP t1_je6z71u wrote

Made you bad ass and got you a broken finger! Not a bad go at it!

Drunken-dreamer87 t1_je706f7 wrote

Namenlos - Nazis wieder in ostberlin. Is the most punk rock song ever. Using aggressive music to protest the berlin wall is the most punk rock shit ever.

Accurate-Witness-446 t1_je7a2aq wrote

I mean, No disrespect to NoFX but let’s talk about Ramones, Dead Boys, Stimulators, Television, Cro-mags, Agnostic Front. Granted, I’m a former NYC resident listing NY bands, but that’s my punk wheelhouse.

uncouthyouths t1_je7hiag wrote

In order to decide which band is most punk, you have to define what you mean by punk. Appearance? Attitude? Values? Politics? Either way you slice it, NoFx is a contender though.

coffeejam108 t1_je7nin7 wrote

"This guy's more punk than me!!!"

Destroyed_Bullet t1_je8h0nh wrote

This post is a joke. Saying one band or person is more punk than another is not what punk is, or ever was.

thud83 OP t1_je8hpp9 wrote

It’s just a thought question. Of course it’s not easily quantified to determine who is ‘more punk’. However, given larger parameters it’s easier to answer, like, “ Who’s more punk-rock, Taylor Swift or Black Flag”… that’s a no brainer. So, if you boil it down, in your own opinion, one can decide (in opinion) who they think is the most punk of the Punk-Rock bands… that’s all

Destroyed_Bullet t1_je8ir6n wrote

Ok, I'll humor you. Yes, there are plenty of other bands "more punk" than NOFX. Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedy's, GBH, UK Subs, The Ejected, Total Chaos, The Defects, The Skeptix, Subhumans, The Exploited, basically the whole British invasion.... and last but not least, Misfits.