Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

asterix108 t1_iy769a9 wrote

Aja - Steely Dan

Never understood the praise this band received until I did some research.

AmphibianImmediate45 t1_iy9rmjg wrote

Just listened to this for the first time last week! I will definitely be returning. I only knew Can’t Buy a Thrill which I still think is superior as of now.

geoscott t1_iy74iya wrote

The Pixies. I got so freaked out by their stupid name I completely missed them until their last album. Suffice to say I made up for my lost time by ingesting everything of theirs as if famished.

AIC_333 t1_iy7s56m wrote

Radiohead

AmphibianImmediate45 t1_iy9v82k wrote

Took me until this year to discover how much I like them. This summer my wife and I listened through the first fifty of the Rolling Stone magazine Top 500 Albums of All Time list and then ranked them ourselves. Kid A was a standout. OK Computer was second place just under Rumors. I even listen to very similar bands but somehow never crossed their path. At least I’m caught up to speed now!

ezumij t1_iy7400k wrote

"fear and loathing" by marina, i honestly don't understand why i skipped it

SimilarLawfulness746 t1_iy76ft4 wrote

REM. Hated them until I saw them in Athens, GA Inside/Out in around 87.

DJSugarSnatch t1_iy7ar72 wrote

Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd...

When I'd first heard it, I really wasn't feeling the chants and all the industrial noise, but once I really became more aware of what they were going for, I really enjoyed the whole album.

Coffin for Head of State - Fela Kuti Another long song/set that I really didn't get into, until I spent more time going through his music. Definitely one of my favs.

Ok_Plate_7187 t1_iy746c5 wrote

I had skipped They Might Be Giants - “Another First Kiss” but now it’s one of my favorite songs

BlackEyedAngel01 t1_iy74o38 wrote

Orville Peck. Wrote him off because country, but he changed my mind about what country could be.

RevealStandard3502 t1_iy7gl9o wrote

Pantera. A lot of redneck assholes at my high school loved them. Made me not want anything to do with it. Picked them up later, hell yeah.

PegasusD2021 t1_iy87ml9 wrote

Rush. I was into ELO and Steve Miller when Rush was big with my classmates. Couldn’t be bothered. Rediscovered them while expanding my Prog rock collection, a few years back.

silentscriptband t1_iy75afe wrote

Pure Reason Revolution's sophomore album Amor Vincit Omnia. I was obsessed with their first album (kind of still am TBH) The Dark Third, but the followup just... wasn't what I expected. Gave it a re- listen years later, and now it's probably in my top 10, on par or even slightly better than it's predecessor.

DaftPump t1_iy76x2k wrote

I didn't like Dragon Attack by Queen(The Game) when it came out. A few decades later and it's my fave track on the album.

Final_Bet1401 t1_iy7bl2l wrote

I’m gonna be more specific. I downloaded all of The Slackers discography. I skipped over this one song every time it started because it made a weird sound in the intro. When I had gotten tired of listening to every other Slackers song I loved, I finally gave this one song a try. That song is called Information Error. And it’s a great catchy song, love Vic Ruggiero’s songwriting.

AllHailDanda t1_iy7hbyy wrote

Squeeze. I'd heard Tempted and I did not like it so I was fine leaving it at that and delving no farther but my best friend had me listen to their best of and they're pretty great. Started out hating them 15 odd years ago for one song then last year I saw them live. I wouldn't have put money on that happening back then.

M_Xenophon t1_iy8a4ke wrote

This is a very niche answer, but might be the single song I've had the biggest turnaround on. "Sabbath Prayer" from the Fiddler on the Roof soundtrack.

It's set up to be so skippable. It's nestled between two more upbeat songs, "If I Were A Rich Man" and "To Life." It's just a prayer, so it doesn't advance the plot. It's very slow to start, with a long, quiet intro for a stage piece (~30 seconds). Even when the first lines kick in, it's very morose, and the two voices are mostly repeating a single note.

I don't know when I sat down to listen to the whole thing, but it's so worth it. If it comes across as slow, that's of course because it's supposed to be a serious, contemplative moment of prayer, and appropriately, it builds into something rapturous. As more voices are added, the harmonies get more complex, and they start to have different vocal lines weaving amongst each other, all culminating in one of the most epic sung chords I can think of. It's simply beautiful, and I never skip it now.

AAluzuxz t1_iy9cvia wrote

Binaural- Pearl Jam. Turned out to be one of my favorite albums of all time

[deleted] OP t1_iy9wi8u wrote

Third Eye Blind, eponymous album

Just_no67 t1_iyaa89d wrote

Deftones and some other stuff by Chino Moreno

kekcuk_13 t1_iyardni wrote

Sum 41, Radiohead

Routine-Ad2685 t1_iyb93c1 wrote

Ed Sheeran’s X (multiply). The man is a hell of a musician.