Submitted by pspartoutsr t3_10pscdz in Music

Just wondering what are some bands you all discovered as a result of soundtracks for films, TV shows and video games? I discovered the awesomeness that is Quarterflash thanks to them being on the soundtrack to GTA Vice City Stories and I discovered my favorite band of all time- Bonfire after hearing "Sword and the Stone" in the film "Shocker".

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Doom_bring3r t1_j6m3u9x wrote

Chvches quickly became my favorite band after i discovered them through death stranding-

SylwekF t1_j6m43lb wrote

Back when I was younger, i played Mafia III thru Ps plus and there was always a soundtrack in the beginning when you load up the game, I never knew what song was. Few years later turns out its All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.

Alaska_Pipeliner t1_j6m5gsc wrote

Sturgil Simpson. I saw, what I thought was a amv, short clip of Sound and Fury and loved it. Watched it on Netflix a few times in a row. And bought the album immediately. Been picking up his stuff since.

pleasecallmeSamuel t1_j6mvto0 wrote

I discovered the flaming lips after hearing their song on the spongebob squarepants movie soundtrack. Silly, but I'm glad i gave their other work a listen after that.

trubb13tw1ns t1_j6n7vb2 wrote

I discovered them when they were the supporting act for Cake during their 2002 tour. I knew absolutely nothing about them beforehand, and their show completely blew my mind.

pspartoutsr OP t1_j6nmzjd wrote

same with me actually, also discovered Ween that way.

Ethan_Skywalker4 t1_j6mxw23 wrote

Literally discovered my favorite band of all time, Young the Giant, from MLB the Show 19 because their song "Tightrope" is on the soundtrack.

NukeHand t1_j6n1yo1 wrote

Chemlab, Gravity Kills, KMFDM, Supltura, Sister Machine Gun, Napalm Death… I’ve been fortunate to find some of the best via soundtracks.

pspartoutsr OP t1_j6nnb2p wrote

what soundtracks were those from?

NukeHand t1_j6nsvz7 wrote

Test Drive Off-road - Gravity Kills, Mortal Kombat OST / Mortal Kombat More Kombat - the rest of the artist. It’s what introduced me to industrial music.

NotOK1955 t1_j6n33i3 wrote

I wouldn’t say that I discovered this band but I long-ignored a song on their 1967 debut album until 1979, while watching the closing credits on the film “Apocalypse Now”.

The album (of which I still have) had a lot of great tracks that I used on my radio show while in college…but that one cut, “The End”, was overlooked for years until I saw that movie. Now it’s one of my favorite songs by…The Doors.

pspartoutsr OP t1_j6nndi0 wrote

I first heard that song in that one episode of The Simpsons where Homer bowls a perfect game.

James_H_M t1_j6ni8i7 wrote

Believe it or not.

System of a down on the Scream 3 soundtrack playing Spiders.

Because_I_Cannot t1_j6nxsph wrote

Badly Drawn Boy

pspartoutsr OP t1_j6ny9pw wrote

never heard of them, what soundtrack was that from?

Because_I_Cannot t1_j6nyx00 wrote

It's technically only one guy, Damon Gough. He wrote the entire soundtrack for About a Boy. I don't know what your musical preferences are, but I'd recommend checking him out. Also, if you've never seen the movie, I'd recommend it as well

willbax1939 t1_j6o4i4w wrote

I remember watching The Fountain (2006) and absolutely falling in love with the soundtrack. I did a deep dive into Clint Mansell's work and then Mogwai. At that time I strictly listened to more abrasive music and found post rock through Mogwai and that soundtrack. What an amazing genre of music.

powdered_dognut t1_j6pi6br wrote

Los Fabulosos Cadillacs from Grosse Pointer Blank

Underworld from Trainspotting

Satan from Spawn