Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

musicman831 t1_j5ht1z4 wrote

You could say Metallica does too. James will occasionally play solos.

RuairiQ t1_j5hu9k5 wrote

Thin Lizzy

Maiden

Allmans

Whitesnake

Loads of them. Hell, even Fleetwood Mac and Kansas and Skynrd

PeelThePaint t1_j5hvft2 wrote

Styx

The Beatles (although I think Paul probably did more lead guitar than John)

King Crimson (from the 80s onward)

Opeth

Kolzig33189 t1_j5hw2ov wrote

Iron Maiden has 3 lead guitarists now….but albums pre Brave New World it’s 2 leads.

username161013 t1_j5hya7e wrote

Korn did for awhile.

Also Pearl Jam. Not sure if Smashing Pumpkins count.

MrGross3538 t1_j5hyeem wrote

Slayer, Morbid Angel, Def Leppard, Cinderella, Megadeth, Boston, Derek and the Dominos, Aerosmith

Nightwindless t1_j5hyvta wrote

Versailles Philharmonic Quintet (Japanese Rock Band)

PeelThePaint t1_j5i0163 wrote

I'm mostly pointing out that the bassist played more lead than the usual rhythm guitarist - of course George did the majority of the leads, especially in the early years. Paul never played lead guitar live with The Beatles, but he does switch to guitar in his solo concerts.

And he did lead in the studio after recording his bass part with the band, or in the later years, John or George sometimes played bass. That's Paul doing lead on Ticket To Ride, Taxman, Back In The USSR and others.

rockrgurl t1_j5i3g4d wrote

Alexisonfire. They also have three singers each with unique styles.

makemasa t1_j5i3ux3 wrote

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

and

Hampton Grease Band - Music to Eat

SirPezZz t1_j5i45fu wrote

King gizzard and da lizard wizard

b_knickerbocker t1_j5i6m0e wrote

…lots of metal…

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Opeth

Megadeth

Slayer

Testament

raising_creampies t1_j5ic3up wrote

I always wondered if when live, the scorpions played all the cool harmonies together, or one guy plays the lead and the other play the rhythm....... Also just realized ive never saw them play live in any video. Down the yt rabbit hole we go.....

DDZ13 t1_j5iejiw wrote

Drive-By Truckers

Left-Werewolf4669 t1_j5ifc7l wrote

Queensryche

Hammerfall

Skid Row

Morbid Angel

Deicide

Cannibal Corpse

doti t1_j5ii2fg wrote

Wilco, My Morning Jacket

Tumblebug_bumpercars t1_j5il7kp wrote

The woefully underrated Los Lobos with Cesar Rosas and David Hidalgo. Original drummer Louie Perez moved from behind the drum kit to the third guitar option and could handle lead duties in many bands.

PoniardBlade t1_j5il8jt wrote

The Cars. Ric Ocasek and Benjamin Orr would switch being lead singers, guitar and bass respectively.

NicksAunt t1_j5iukl4 wrote

The Black Angels. They have 3 guitarists normally, bur they regularly switch up instruments song to to song, so one of the guitarists will go to the drums and the drummer will play keys and the bassist will get on the drums….in every variation really. They’re fun to see live

swisstype t1_j5iy609 wrote

I saw The Strokes open for RHCP last year and was surprised to see that both their guitarists solo'd and led various songs

Ethan_Skywalker4 t1_j5jjb9y wrote

The two guitarists of the indie rock band Young the Giant, Eric Cannata and Jacob Tilley alternate between lead and rhythm parts, sometimes even in the same song!

Grip-my-juiceky t1_j5jrb10 wrote

Gojira. Saw them live this past summer, Christian was out with an illness and Joe, along with their guitar tech, completely two-part played most of the set. It was actually quite technical and impressive.

Timstunes t1_j5jup6y wrote

Beat me to this, probably the first such duo, Green/Danny Kirwan. Other favorites Allman Brothers with Duane and Betts, Betts and Haynes, Trucks and Haynes. Quicksilver Messenger Service mostly forgotten John Cipolina & Gary Duncan. Radiohead Greenwood & O’Brien. Lynard Skynard with Ed King, Allen Collins, Gary Rossington.

thatjacob t1_j5jvpo8 wrote

Pretty much any Western Swing band, as well.

prettynoxious t1_j5jvxgh wrote

The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys (where ironically, the vocalist is better at leads than the guitarist), QOTSA

ZonaVIBE t1_j5jxj1g wrote

Whippersnapper - America’s Favorite Pastime

danbass t1_j5k0cuo wrote

Don't see a mention of Jason Isbell vs Sadler Vaden as the better guitarist when you include the 400 unit.

just_cuz555 t1_j5k5v4l wrote

Boston has some great guitar battles/harmonies on their first album. An absolute classic.

nuclear_drumstick t1_j5k7nj8 wrote

slipknot does that a lot, the solos and riffs will occasionally switch between jim and mick. if i recall correctly, psychosocial has a solo from jim and scream has a solo from mick

poncho15 t1_j5kj581 wrote

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

psychoskaggot t1_j5kl9yx wrote

Are you serious? DragonForce, necrophagist🥳, polyphia. Like any metal band...

DreamPig666 t1_j5ks9gb wrote

Thin Lizzy kinda made a thing out of that for a while if you missed it.

litido5 t1_j5ksfye wrote

Opal Ocean, it’s literally just two guitars too no singing etc just huge leads and jams

BuzzoMelvin t1_j5l2rfo wrote

ISIS and a great many others... Most Metalish music is built around guitar and having 2 or more players playing off each other

99songsabout t1_j5l4grr wrote

10cc, both Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman played lead guitar (Gouldman mainly bass though). And during live shows Eric Stewart and Rick Fenn.

TheWonkyBonk t1_j5l704o wrote

the rolling stones during the mick Taylor years. Keith played lead rhythm most of the time but would switch roles with Taylor a lot live. Taylor was a better lead but could play fills and rhythm while Keith soloed and vice versa.

MyS0ul4AGoat t1_j5lc34j wrote

There’s a band called Iron Maiden you may want to check out.

EggPsychological8033 t1_j5lgnnv wrote

Outlaws,Molly Hatchet… southern Rock in general were pioneers with twin or triple lead guitar and guitar solos

sluman001 t1_j5ljhfk wrote

How in the world isn’t Def Leppard on here?

SillyPuttyGizmo t1_j5lp1xj wrote

Black Oak Arkansas

...And You Will Know us by the Trail of Dead

CacophonicAcetate t1_j5lpotz wrote

Tons and tons of them.

Thin Lizzy might have done it first, depending on how you're judging 'lead parts', but Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson's intertwining parts are the defining sound of their biggest hits like Jailbreak and The Boys are Back In Town

Lynyrd Skynyrd had 3 or 4 guitarists, I was surprised when I first picked up the instrument to learn that what I called the Sweet Home Alabama riff was actually 3 different parts in sync.

Fleetwood Mac almost always had multiple guitarists carrying leads. The Buckingham/Nicks era might not have, but there's a reason they replaced Lindsey with two (great) guitarists when he left.

The Eagles, Derek and the Dominos, Wishbone Ash, Quicksilver Messenger Service, the Allman Brothers, Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden, Tesla...

RickCityy t1_j5lt7so wrote

Trivium. Both Cory and Matt are animals

aklevay t1_j5naps7 wrote

Grateful Dead. Jerry of course played lead most of the time but Bob often played the main riffs on songs Jerry sung like Wharf Rat or China Cat Sunflower. Bob played plenty of solos, too