Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nwk_NJ t1_ivudd0l wrote

There are open air drug markets all over this city in loitering areas. I do not think the local population, many of them black and brown, are single-mindedly racist for having issues with some of the loitering in this city.

As to the homeless population, it's much more complex an issue than simply increasing housing. Some folks do not want to abide by the regulations etc set forth for shelters, and end up outside.

Newark can be equitable and progressive-minded without allowing complete lawlessness and the desecration of public space at every turn. The people who seem to suffer the most with unkempt public spaces are hard working immigrants and minority communities. Most the white people flee to the suburbs, Montclair, and Jersey City, and then put forth some of the same positions you have here.

Not looking to argue or anything, but just getting outside the box a bit. That said, I'm sorry to hear that you will be losing a resource on late commutes. The way NJT cops treat that station later at night is a disgrace. We need more amenities 24/7 near and in the station, but again, that also comes with alleviating the drug and homeless element that causes issues.

disassociationfairy t1_ivue5p4 wrote

I do volunteer and I don’t feel comfortable with law enforcement because of personal experiences so never that. Closing that 7-11 does nothing to address anything you said nor does it solve any problems. It’s just treating the symptom not the illness.

Nwk_NJ t1_ivuex1p wrote

So it is treating something. How do you propose we treat the illness? That's a generational, 100 year type issue/plan, and it also will need focus outside the boundaries of Newark proper, but I'm open to ideas specific to that area as to how to fix the problems without closing the store.....

I'm just not of the camp that things should be allowed to fester just bc there are bigger societal reasons for it. Newark can do better. The hard working people of this city deserve better than the status quo.

disassociationfairy t1_ivuhal9 wrote

Sorry that was the wrong analogy. Y’all think it’s treating something but it’s not even doing that. How is closing 7-11 doing anything? I’m also sick of folks hiding behind the drug problem as a way to justify how they hate to see Black folks outside. Here is a location that has a park, convenience store, right by a major train station, and proper covering in certain spots. It is a perfect location to be if someone is homeless. God forbid people with very little options find a place where they can just be without folks criminalizing them and viewing them as a bunch of pushers. You’re asking me to give you a solution to our housing problem? I’m just here saying don’t make things worse for the most vulnerable.

Nwk_NJ t1_ivukid0 wrote

If you don't realize people are dealing drugs in that area, or on Broad and Market, you're either niave, or willfully manipulating the conversation. It isn't a perfect location for the homeless...its constantly traversed and the gateway to a large swath of the city. A homeless man killed someone over there a couple years ago. We can have a real conversation, or one shrouded in modern progressive tropes that are only part of the story.

Defecating and urinating in public spaces is not a good or responsible use of the land. Public intoxication is not a good use of the space. Loitering around is not a good use of time. Again, unfortunate that the store had to close. Maybe place some blame on the folks mistreating the space than on the landlords and councilman trying to find a better purpose for it.

−2

disassociationfairy t1_ivumplq wrote

You’re accusing me of willfully manipulating this conversation and using progressive tropes in the same breath as stereotyping a population as drug users and dealers, filthy, and oh right now murderers. Leave your dog whistle at home next time and maybe we can have a real conversation.

Nwk_NJ t1_ivunh6r wrote

Absolute nonsense. I am stating a fact - there are drug dealers and there is drug dealing going on in each of the areas we are discussing. To pretend my reference to actual activities going on is some kind of racist dog whistle, rather than acknowledging it, is manipulating the conversation, yes.

Here is the murder story: https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/essex/police-fire/homeless-man-charged-with-murder-in-newark-penn-station-stabbing/791592/

People should not be bullied off of logical discussion and valid points by false accusations of racism.

disassociationfairy t1_ivuofu5 wrote

You share this one story of a murder from two years ago and this is what? You’re justification for why everyone should not be hanging out there, living there, and the 7-11 needs to close? I hate to break it to you but drug use and dealing is not just isolated to that area. There’s a reason it’s a nation-wide problem. You’re using one offs and issues that are beyond just this one area to stereotype an entire group of people. I’m not being manipulative and I’m not bullying I’m just calling it for what it is.

Nwk_NJ t1_ivylmau wrote

I share a story bc murders do and have happened with the homeless population in the specific area we are discussing. Yet you acted like my mentioning that was some sort of outlandish dog whistle. I'm aware of the drug problem in this country. And it can be seen very vividly in the areas you mentioned. I'm also pretty positive there are a ton of white people hanging there and on drugs as well. Nothing to do with dog whistles and people "being outside".

disassociationfairy t1_iwee66u wrote

You say as you continue to make sweeping generalizations about a group of people. Great job there buddy.

ryanov t1_iweb5dk wrote

I mean, when they're repeating racist tropes, yeah, they should. You can't just fix that problem by putting the word "false" in front of it.