Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LordMugsy t1_ixzevk4 wrote

Shit everywhere

DearBurt t1_iy1kj5c wrote

I’ve actually been to one of these, about 15 years ago in rural Arkansas. And, yes, there was shit all over the basketball court. So much so that a couple of people with pooper scoopers roamed around the whole time, scooping up donkey doodies.

saulverde t1_iy281hm wrote

We had these when I was in school, no street shoes on the gym floor but donkeys...donkeys were okay...

1gEmm4u2ohN t1_ixzff10 wrote

Just a bunch of men playing with their asses, nothing to see here. 😁

mcfarmer72 t1_ixzg7ss wrote

I remember that trend.

mcnathan80 t1_ixzwin9 wrote

I got married in 2005 that most of my extended family didn't attend in favor of going to a donkey basketball game and I never knew what it was til now.

TBH I'm actually more hurt...

jhvanriper t1_iy06mkx wrote

Got a text from a cousin: So I will see you at the wedding?

What wedding?

Jon, Saturday night. (one of my nephews)

Wasn't invited.

So been on the other side of that.

ugbaz t1_ixzlq2i wrote

This was done well into the 80's. I remember our teachers playing Donkey Ball for a charity event in our high school's gym in rural Nebraska circa 1986.

ochoomas t1_ixzydso wrote

Yup, did it in high school in the 70s, students against the teachers. Students had a big advantage because the organization that provided the donkeys had a policy of feeding the teachers’ mounts right before the game, so their side spent a lot of game time cleaning up, but the typing teacher was semi-pro b-ball player on the side and she could sink a shot from anywhere on the court.

Ashirogi8112008 t1_iy01j7s wrote

My rural elementary school and high school used to (and may still) do this up until I graduated in 2018, One year we had to cancel and just have a teacher's game of basketball because the donkeys got stuck on the wrong side of a malfunctioning railroad crossing

AsilverGoose t1_iy1j5s8 wrote

My high school hosted donkey basketball in the mid-late 2010s, always a great time!! We had so much fun!

WarrenMulaney t1_ixzhkwm wrote

That’s not 1970.

famouscaseyx OP t1_ixzicgo wrote

What makes you think that? This from a small town in KY.

fadenotaway t1_ixzk2ty wrote

Clothing styles are very 40s-50s, look at plaid shirt guy. He has classic basketball shoes of that era, also a girl in the back wearing saddle shoes which were big in the 40s-50s.

famouscaseyx OP t1_ixzlp8a wrote

Yeah maybe that time frame is more accurate. They did this event through the 70’s.

−2

Snaab_71 t1_ixzmqak wrote

I remember my neighbors older kids selling raffle tickets for the Donkey Basketball game in the early 80's.

stay_hungry_dr_ew t1_iy00nn4 wrote

We had donkey basketball events at my high school in Texas in the early 2000s. They still do events like this in Columbia, TN (south of Nashville): check out Mule Day.

musicStan t1_iy06zta wrote

I graduated in 2010 in south central Virginia, and they were still doing it at my high school.

ochoomas t1_ixzxvly wrote

Literally half the men are wearing fedoras.

Fungi_McFunguson t1_ixzg2z0 wrote

That can't be good for the floor.

Headline-Skimmer t1_ixzgysz wrote

I attended a game once (in HS). The donkeys/burros are wearing rubber horseshoes (instead of metal).

Sch1z01dMan t1_iy0yqj4 wrote

Bunch a’ Jackasses, I tell ya.

Tombstone_Shadow t1_iy15qcl wrote

A popular school fundraiser back in the day: watch your school’s faculty look like fools on donkey back.

Head-like-a-carp t1_ixzjm7l wrote

A decades long concept that was enjoyed by noone.

Chem_Dawg74D t1_ixzmg95 wrote

Bet the janitor was like fuck my life.

Unchained2u t1_ixzvt4b wrote

I played in a game once.As fun as they were to watch it wasn't nothing compared to playing in it. The donkeys know what to do they are trained to go back and forth but they know how to put on a show too. It was a blast.

530whiskey t1_iy0y6qc wrote

The photo is before thr 70s but I went to one in the very early 70s. Forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Bean-Swellington t1_iy1iro1 wrote

JFC, we weren’t elven allowed to wear black soles shoes 🤣🤷‍♂️

casewood123 t1_iy1pb2m wrote

I remember this. There was donkey shit all over the floor after.

Robot_Clean t1_iy1ydjx wrote

Whatever happened to the fundamentals?

MubbaBump22 t1_iy25bz0 wrote

My high school decided to bring donkey basketball back in 2012 and it was immediately banned after the fact. Three students were thrown off and one broke her arm very badly

[deleted] t1_ixzg6si wrote

My high school had a game of donkey basketball years ago. The difference was each player walked alongside the donkey. It's unlikely anybody had the skill to ride one.

Dysomma t1_ixzhxgi wrote

Somebody arranged these games as their job.

Sirvink t1_ixzidga wrote

Gonna be an ass kick'n

Odd-Gear9622 t1_ixzih23 wrote

I do remember playing this in Highschool 😜 The donkeys won🤣

shametogame t1_ixzllhc wrote

This was equivalent to rolling out the dodgeballs today.

baroqueen1755 t1_ixzrcyy wrote

So. We’ve always done stupid shit for little reason.

Good to know.

Notch99 t1_ixzt7ne wrote

Went to a donkey show once…nothing like this…

rockinvet02 t1_ixzu69y wrote

I had blocked this activity from my memory. But alas, I did partake.

There was always the ass that would just nope out so you would get off and be pulling with all your might to get it to move. Ugh. This might be more cringe than my parachute pants phase.

heartattack-ak-ak-ak t1_ixzwygz wrote

“SCORECARD LINEUP! HEY…SCORECARD LINEUP, HEAH! CAN’T TELL THE PLAYERS APART WITHOUT A SCORECARD LINEUP!”

Chef6288 t1_iy00x76 wrote

We did this my senior year, class of ‘98. The donkeys had rubber horseshoes and the cheerleaders ran behind them sweeping up donkey pop. Pretty stupid waste of an hour

WolfOctober t1_iy04iov wrote

So this is where Draymond Green got his start?

motociclista t1_iy060zw wrote

Holy cow! I completely forgot that was a thing. They used to do this at my school.

Crayfish707 t1_iy098ac wrote

Not cool in my book, but ok.

eanardone t1_iy09bch wrote

We did this through high school in Western PA around 2000 or 2001

commschamp t1_iy09pbk wrote

Let’s see the blacks do this!

MissBehavinKitty t1_iy0a7if wrote

I know donkeys are know for there stable footing, but thats more like hey rock and gravel im good, slick basketball floor, lets see, ass jam right there

Lhamo55 t1_iy0aqoa wrote

Pity the janitor who had to clean up afterwards. Worse than cleaning up vomit with that powder they used to throw on first.

repwin1 t1_iy0axm9 wrote

The school I went to in 7th grade you would always get in trouble if we touched the court in street shoes (basketball shoes only) but they would have donkey basketball every year.

Sometimes_Stutters t1_iy0f37n wrote

I played this in 2010! It was super fun. They gave me a donkey named “Diablo” that they normally don’t use because he’s so wild, but the dude thought it would be funny.

theghostofgotti t1_iy0f7rs wrote

Yep, nothing makes an animal happier than having an obnoxious, overzealous human on its back yelling and screaming and generally acting like fools. Only our species would find humor and/or entertainment in this stupid shit.

Ellielynneb t1_iy0j02o wrote

My school did this at least until 2010

saucyB52 t1_iy0mnz7 wrote

that guy low ridin is tha coolest

slightlyused t1_iy0pmwc wrote

I just showed my mom (76) this and she remembers it. I'm stunned.

pikknz t1_iy0w2su wrote

They all look drunk.

Weedweednomi t1_iy0xrol wrote

My dad told me he did this ag class back in the day. I should’ve believed him

hairy_monkee t1_iy13xrn wrote

Poor donkeys. Hope some of them got kicked

beefstewforyou t1_iy1ausl wrote

I legitimately thought I was on /r/weirddalle for a second.

WisconsinExPat t1_iy1hmii wrote

I was just thinking about this! As a kid it would come through our small town every year.

mildmadnerd t1_iy1ibkm wrote

White boys don't jump, they just sit on their asses and...

BalaAthens t1_iy1ijp9 wrote

This was very hard on the animals.

webdevxoomer t1_iy1lorc wrote

My high school did this back in the early 90s. I remember one guy falling off then getting kicked directly in the sack

Skotch33 t1_iy1pezy wrote

Donkey basketball is still a thing

3eeve t1_iy20i6h wrote

White people... god we're stupid.

Mayaaster t1_iy35q5o wrote

This looks a lot like one of the images shown during the intro of What We Do in the Shadows

Be1good t1_iy3fmy1 wrote

I bet it smelt like ass in there