Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YarnPerson t1_j9yuwjn wrote

Didn’t think it was needed. I’m not the one pulling out a soapbox to lecture someone for asking a wildly legitimate question. Always fair to ask about facts.

But since you seem interested: I too pay taxes, vote, donate to multiple local charities (including my local food bank, RMHC, animal shelter, protecting women’s rights). I serve on the board for a NP focused on pediatric oncology. For a living, I spend a lot of time on health care equality - access and affordability, and connecting people to local resources.

tellmeaboutyourcat t1_j9z0y6h wrote

Good for you, the person I was responding to didn't ask a question, they showed skepticism for my stance on homelessness.

It's a logical fallacy to point the finger at individuals to solve the homelessness problem. Just like with climate change and a host of other issues, the problem is systemic and needs to be fixed from the top. I do what I can to help my community, but we as a society need to come together to hold the government accountable for doing their job.

−1

YarnPerson t1_j9z7z7v wrote

Take a look at what you initially responded to in this comment thread. You’re tone is pretty consistent in your comments throughout the post. You are doing barely more than the price of admission to be a part of the societal solution you’re describing. Admittedly, I am too; but, also not being a jerk about it and shaming people for asking questions or saving for retirement.

tellmeaboutyourcat t1_ja00b9h wrote

What the fuck? There is no price of admission to being in a society. The only obligation that I have to anyone is paying taxes. I do the other stuff because that's what I want to do. IDGAF what you do with your spare time or spare money.

All I've said is that homelessness is a social failure that needs to not exist and that rich people need to pay their fair share.

What I'm now wondering is what do you think is the acceptable number of days for a child to be homeless? Because to me it's zero. The first comment I replied to asked irrelevant questions about how many days those kids were homeless, as if that determines how they feel about whether or not it's worth doing something about it.

And if you interpret that as being a jerk, fine. But anyone who's cool with homeless kids is a jerk, so IDGAF.

YarnPerson t1_ja33rmr wrote

Your response is my point.

You’re making an ad hominem argument that when I ask a question about how homelessness is defined in an article where the targeted outcome seems to be highlighting a “class” difference (vs offer any view of solutions) it means that I DGAF homeless children. It’s an emotional and baseless position that let’s you feel morally superior to anyone you’re talking with. All the while, you’re not actually doing anything tangible that we shouldn’t expect from every one of our neighbors to make things better.

I hate that anyone feels the vulnerability of homelessness. Especially children. Even for one night. Sadly, the condition is real. When we’re distracted by fighting for the moral high ground (that mountaintop, if you will) we’re not only not making it better, we’re dampening any hope of progress.