Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Silence_Dogood16 OP t1_jadt2x2 wrote

Thanks! I have hersheys on my list and I’m actually going for the military lol I’m planning on checking out Gettysburg as well

akennelley t1_jadtje6 wrote

>Gettysburg

Absolutely do this! Devil's Den and the Roundtops are great sites!

IamSauerKraut t1_jadw49j wrote

The Alabama State Memorial is a handsome piece of art located on South Confederate Ave just past the picnic area and before the dinosaur bridge ( you can see tracks on a few of the red sandstone caps). The 15th Alabama and a couple of other Alabama infantry units (forget which, maybe the 47th and a single-digit unit) fought the 20th Maine on Little Round Top, but that area is closed for major rehab work. Devil's Den re-opened just a few months ago. There may be a marker on Big Round Top to an Alabama unit but you have to look for it.

Hillbl3 t1_jae3egf wrote

Add a ghost tour to the list, a lot of them are pretty hokey but it's still fun when the actors/guides are good.

apk5005 t1_jaeqzpp wrote

Little Round Top is closed for the foreseeable future for renovations and restorations. The road to access Big Round Top is closed to vehicles but you can walk or bike it and still explore the Big Round Top. There is some parking and a bathroom near the road closure turn around.

Devils Den is mostly open, but there are closed off areas there, too. Just FYI.

Ct-5736-Bladez t1_jae0zqx wrote

If you are into ww2 stuff a new ww2 museum opened up last year in Gettysburg. It’s called WW2 American Experience. It has mostly American ww2 vehicles like tanks, jeeps, trucks, half tracks but when I was there they had a German car and a Japanese car as well.

Checks their website for events closer to when you go.

Hillbl3 t1_jae2v2d wrote

The cost of a season ticket is only about double the normal park entry. If you're going to do it once maybe spring for the season pass so you'll always have it as a backup in a worst case scenario.

Yankiwi17273 t1_jaeryvz wrote

If you are into civil war stuff, be sure to check out the big civil war museum in Harrisburg. Speaking of which, if you like tours of pretty buildings, our state capitol is definitely in the top 5 on beauty.