Submitted by AlternativePanic444 t3_1259zny in Pennsylvania

My MFT license has pretty good portability to Pennsylvania and I’m curious if I’d be setting myself up for burnout moving there or if the structure of mental health services in Pennsylvania is functional enough. Where I live currently there’s a shortage of mental health workers and it’s becoming a mess that’s straining those in the field and hurting those who need it based on a new bill that just passed. I’d love to get some perspective on how it is in Pennsylvania for both workers and those in need.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kdani17 t1_je4c7ai wrote

In the Harrisburg area, it’s been near impossible to get adult psychiatric services since covid without going through the inpatient system. Trauma therapies like EMDR are in high demand.

fenuxjde t1_je3dypr wrote

There's a shortage of mental health workers everywhere. My BSL gets me an automatic $5k sign on bonus as upwards of $85 an hour pretty much anywhere I want to go around where I'm at.

AlternativePanic444 OP t1_je3gfiy wrote

Well that sounds amazing. Is there a need for EMDR?

defusted t1_je3i42c wrote

My fiance needs EMDR, unfortunately insurance is dog shit.

AlternativePanic444 OP t1_je3ttzg wrote

Insurance is my least favorite part of this field🙄

godofleet t1_je4yseo wrote

Tbh this is the real thing that needs to change.... Idk if professionals like yourself can unionize and demand better.... Or if that's even realistic...

AlternativePanic444 OP t1_je50b4p wrote

I think that’s a great idea, I wouldn’t know where to start though. I’ve sent letters to congressmen but they seem to fall on deaf ears especially with their stupid new bill…

fenuxjde t1_je3hpj4 wrote

Probably, but that's a bit outside my area of expertise. Maybe asking on a professional forum about that in PA may get a better targeted response than asking about that job on a PA forum, if that made sense.

dclxvi616 t1_je4lp9q wrote

Available services and resources can vary by county. Pennsylvania is a pretty big place.

Hib3rnian t1_je4txjt wrote

Based on this sub alone, it's clear there's a big need for mental health services in PA 😆

Sea-Biscotti t1_je4ys2v wrote

My therapist either doesn't take insurance or doesn't take my insurance so I pay out of pocket. In my case, it's worth it because I have genuinely benefited so much from it. But that might be something to consider, as it is considered a luxury to a lot of people to go to therapy. As others have said as well, it's VERY hard to find someone who is accepting new patients. I started with her around a year and a half ago and I only found her after I reached out to literally a dozen other therapists who turned me down. God bless the broken road tho i guess

AlternativePanic444 OP t1_je501qp wrote

Good to know, what are the major insurances for Pennsylvania?

Sea-Biscotti t1_je5frah wrote

As someone said below, Blue Cross for sure. But insurance companies can be tough to deal with for therapist offices/make it even more expensive so I understand why mine doesn’t take it. I’d say if you would rather not take insurance, make it clear in your applications so nobody is wasting anyone’s time.

PGHNeil t1_je546w7 wrote

I'm a stressed out parent of a now grown child with level 3 nonverbal autism, intellectual disability, bipolar disorder, etc. We've been consumers of the mental health system since 2006. Where should I start without it devolving into a rant?

[deleted] t1_je5bgtz wrote

[deleted]

PGHNeil t1_je5do2a wrote

Yeah, TBH with IDEA and ACA I'm wondering exactly when that minor/adult line lies. Mine's 19 and has the comprehensive autism waiver so it's basically filling out forms and returns and hoping that the people on his case aren't quitting/retiring anytime soon.

iblewoutmuhbutthole t1_je8hpqb wrote

Best of luck to you with the waiver stuff. I'm on it myself (I am the one receiving services) and certain organizations have a humongous amount of turnover. CRI has been pretty bad about that recently.

AlternativePanic444 OP t1_je5buyq wrote

My oh my, it sounds like there’s a pretty high demand for services. Good luck, hang in there❤️

PGHNeil t1_je5d71n wrote

In all honesty, I don't come in contact with a lot of other autism parents and my son has been in inpatient/group home/residential care for the past few years. There are LONG wait lists with lots of staff turnover and some of the options we were presented with were either around Philly or out of state. We're in Allegheny county though so there are also a lot of options here as well.

FWIW I did go to CBT therapy before and during COVID (remotely) and it helped - but not as much as keeping myself busy.

Cinemaslap1 t1_je5540a wrote

Hey, Lancaster resident here. Just started to look for a therapist myself because I figured it was important.

I made five calls yesterday and every single one had at least a month waiting list.

AlternativePanic444 OP t1_je5a20x wrote

Ok, hopefully you get in soon!

Cinemaslap1 t1_je5nngg wrote

I'm in no rush, I'm fortunate to not be dealing with serious depression or anything. I'd very much give up my spot for someone with more immediate needs.

Just wanted to share my area though.

Thanks either way

Pilotsandpoets t1_je509ib wrote

Husband and I have both had to search desperately to find qualified mental health counselors in rural northeast PA. From my perspective, there’s more availability and structure in the more populated urban/suburban areas, which is generally the case with many things for rural-urban features. I’d guess that Philly suburbs, Montgomery and Bucks Counties, and maybe the Allentown area have more structured resources. Good luck in your search!

DRWDS t1_je78k3o wrote

If you can do teletherapy over video chat you can see any therapist licensed for PA. It helps a lot of rural folk access services, and is typically as effective as in-person.

Pilotsandpoets t1_je7j5gb wrote

Totally agree, I really wanted in-person, but realized this was less important to me than the therapist’s qualifications, so I decided to “settle” for online…and im really happy with this therapist and would have never connected with her if I’d stuck to in-person. I am really fortunate to have solid internet in a rural area, so thankfully that isn’t an additional barrier in my case.

Christopher_Walkman t1_je51b6l wrote

according to a recent survey the number one new years resolution in pennsylvania was to seek therapy, which i found to be interesting and kind of hopeful. i get my therapy through the state's healthcare and its adequate. if you're having trouble affording healthcare i recommend using social programs. the more they're used the more funding they receive

AlternativePanic444 OP t1_je51rwg wrote

Oh wow I love that, are the services hard to qualify for?

Christopher_Walkman t1_je5nqt6 wrote

i spoke to Service Access & Management. back then i was a part-timer, now i work full time (no medical insurance tho) and still have service. i was in a really rough spot and they were super helpful getting me set up and walking me through the process, im hopeful they can answer any questions about qualifications and options.

NattyGannStann t1_je5bt3g wrote

The need is desperate. Even more so for MH workers who take medical assistance, I know there a ton of extra hoops to jump through but so important. Best of luck

nojpok t1_je6yxgn wrote

I live in the Lehigh Valley. My therapist is one of the owners of the practice, when I wanted to get my mom in, he said there are more than 200 applicants every day…

Mysterious487 t1_jea1dkp wrote

We are in desperate need of more mental health services. I’m from Columbia County. It took almost two months for me to get an appointment after my doctor gave me a referral last year. At least, my PCP was able to get me started on some depression/anxiety medication until I was able to talk with a psychologist.