Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

CertifiableNormie t1_isr2c3f wrote

Baltimore is dealing with the same problem only with purple lights! I saw some on 83 recently too. Never knew it happened here.

WolfGuard_ OP t1_isr5mq1 wrote

It's a country wide issue. You can Google it and it'll explain the science behind why it happens but it's one company that made a ton of the bulbs and they go bad and turn purple/pink eventually

veepeedeepee t1_isrtmvr wrote

I’m surprised they didn’t spin it to say they “have Ravens spirit, even down to the street lights.”

Wuz314159 t1_isrmdf4 wrote

How is this a "problem"?

[deleted] t1_issguzh wrote

[deleted]

SilentHunter7 t1_issncgc wrote

Also bluer light fucks with your night vision and sleep triggers. Street light LEDs should have a lower color temperature.

Poder86 t1_istg14p wrote

You can submit complaint report and they will fix the ones by your street

uraniumstingray t1_isw7ds9 wrote

Greensboro NC has some purple lights too. They’re fun to drive under.

VonShroom t1_isr8iop wrote

There’s an intersection in State College that turned purple over the summer and I had no idea why!

brenobah t1_isrgvtr wrote

Atherton and University? Yep. Still jacked up.

VonShroom t1_isst8m0 wrote

It throws me off a little bit every time, but I do kinda like it

SilentHunter7 t1_issngq5 wrote

Just drove through that intersection last night for the first time after dark and I was real confused.

Motorsteak t1_isrijuf wrote

I've had people in baltimore and state college tell me they're pink/purple for a number of reasons. The list includes the lights being gunshot detectors that flash to tell the cops where shots happen, so junkies can't find their veins to shoot up, for some fundraiser or event (pink for breast cancer/purple for a ravens game), or because they were cheaper. The last one is technically the right answer i guess, but they meant it as they purposefully bought pink/purple hue lights or grow lights.

Gov_Martin_OweMalley t1_issi3uu wrote

A lot of cities and counties do "X goes purple" for a month to raise substance abuse awareness, just to add to your list.

ArcadeAnarchy t1_iss159g wrote

Like some weird vaporware fever dream.

dpo466321 t1_isrjswu wrote

I wish we had led streetlights that simulate the sodium vapor lamps

Wanderlust917 t1_istoa27 wrote

It's too much yellow and it feels old fashioned to me.

Driving through purple street lights feels like driving in the future.

LifeIsBetterOnBags t1_iss7gaw wrote

A lot of the street lamps in my rural town are all a deep purple, although there is only like 4 of them.

AnInsolentCog t1_issi0y4 wrote

Huh..I spotted some purple ones out near Exton. I thought it was a feature, not a bug.

WolfGuard_ OP t1_issl8j0 wrote

No lol it's a bug with one of the components inside the lights. Big issue with one company, country wide. Although Im sure some places might do the color intentionally for like a breast cancer thing but I'd say that's not likely to be seen on random street lights or parking lots

databdt t1_issnqju wrote

Willow grove Lexus dealer?

WolfGuard_ OP t1_issudx8 wrote

Willow Grove yes, I have no clue who that lot actually belongs to though

cwfutureboy t1_issxmyq wrote

Yinz got a T-mobile up in there?

Stoneykind81 t1_iss6kgr wrote

i see them on the pa turnpike too

[deleted] t1_issm18x wrote

[deleted]

WolfGuard_ OP t1_issm6pf wrote

Lol who said that? I wonder if some area do it but pink isn't helpful for light pollution? You'd want red as it doesn't pollute and keeps drivers nighttime vision intact. But it's useless as actually illumination.

[deleted] t1_isu51nh wrote

[deleted]

WolfGuard_ OP t1_isu7woe wrote

Yep. I like red as it preserves night vision (if you go to cherry springs the darkest place in the east coast you can see northern lights and stuff there's 0 light pollution no street lights etc. And in the observing fields there is no light not even car lights you have to cover it all with red filters to not pollution the sky and save people's night vision, beautiful place if you ever go. Me and my friend are camping there next year as that's when we could get a reservation that worked for us

atomicski t1_isup3yj wrote

I have been looking into cherry springs!! I’ve never been but heard it’s a wonderful place.. hope it stays around. Thanks for the info.

WolfGuard_ OP t1_isv15gb wrote

It'll stay around lol. When campgrounds are opened it booked. Hell can't find a good weekend because every Friday-sat and sundays are booked and they have tons of camp spots and all are booked. They make tons of money lol. If you ever do go look at the big weather setup they have at the entrance, (it was made in the welding shop I work at by my boss)

--Cr1imsoN-- t1_issmkd0 wrote

Perfect spot for a retrowave video

WolfGuard_ OP t1_issuw55 wrote

Gives me vibes of the song as where they made a song with just car horns and honks and stuff

Tarcanus t1_issmnpk wrote

283 has blue lights at one end, now, too. It's so nice.

bigdickjenny t1_issoy7m wrote

Down here in Dfw texas that has been a normal light bulb since a couple years ago. I was curious why they chose that color but this makes sense!

coasterkyle18 t1_ist1fgu wrote

In Lancaster there’s a few blueish purple lights on rt 30 by the Rohrerstown Rd exit.

Iodat t1_ist3o12 wrote

Got some purple lights on the west side of PA. Looks cool imo.

ItsjustJim621 t1_isu07mq wrote

Ah…perfect for breast cancer awareness month!

lefindecheri t1_isu2zc9 wrote

How does it affect vision? Can drivers still see as well with pink light? It's pretty, but is it safe?

WolfGuard_ OP t1_isu8nl3 wrote

Your body's natural night vision, walk into a forest pitch black and close your eyes. As you adapt you will be able to see slightly in the night that is your night vision have someone turn on a flashlight doesn't even need to point at you and then turn the light off and you go back to being pitch black blind until you're adjust which can take a bit. Red light won't take away that night vision but unless it's a back road every mother fucker with their overly bright headlights and high beams in 24/7 will blind you anyways.