Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

festerwl t1_iumdtqu wrote

This sounds like Berkheimer here in Erie. I went through something similar when I moved townships.

In the end it was easier to stop communicating with them through the mail. I took everything they were asking for and went to the closest office. Said look this is all the paperwork, I've paid everything, and owe nothing. Person I talked to agreed and I made sure to get paperwork from them showing the account was cleared. Never heard from them again.

heili t1_iumeuga wrote

Berkheimer, Jordan, Keystone... they're all the same. The "revamp" of the local EIT collecting seems like it was completely made for these shady companies to roll in dough.

ButtBlock t1_iundkes wrote

Exactly. The poll tax in our county required a 3 USD fee on top of the actual 10 USD tax.

CreeperIan02 t1_iuqa1l1 wrote

... what? Aren't those immensely illegal?

ButtBlock t1_iuqez25 wrote

Not in PA lol. It’s not actually a poll tax, it’s just colloquially called that. It’s a flat tax that every single resident has to pay. Regardless of whether they rent or own their house or apt.

lukewwilson t1_iur14n3 wrote

Yeah we have that in my tiny township where I live in Western PA, we call it the right to live tax.

Bird_Brain4101112 t1_iumiwds wrote

I freaking hate Berkheimer. Every year we have a battle because they pull out some nonsense claiming I owe money from 15 years ago and no one can explain why. I’ll file then they come back and claim I never filed. Or I’ll get a final notice telling me I’m about to have wages garnished but I never got a single notice and somehow all the previous notices went to a different address but the final notice miraculously came to the right address.

KFCConspiracy t1_iumnkz4 wrote

I had the same issue with Berkheimer. They're a bunch of crooks and I think they do it on purpose. Everyone who moves out of a county that collects with Berkheimer has that issue with them. I think they intentionally don't have a process to deal with this because rubes will pay and they get a cut.

IWantAStorm t1_iuqolpz wrote

Berkheimer sends shit to my parents for me where I haven't lived in decades, continuing to ding my credit till I fight it again and again. It's ridiculous.

PoeticMilk t1_iuqkd06 wrote

I had the same issue…moved from Venango County to Crawford in 2010…in 2014 I get a notice for unpaid local taxes for Oil City school district even though I no longer lived there. I call Berkheimer, they say oh our bad, just ignore it. Two years later I move to Erie and I get another notice saying I owe taxes to Waterford, even though I’ve never lived nor worked there. Not quite sure how they get such incorrect info.