Submitted by PlaneTry4277 t3_yvx6wb in Pennsylvania

-I still have my old plate from 2016 in the trunk

-My drivers license is expired as of a month ago

-I just got my car back (it was sitting around for a year due to a busted engine, I got it fixed)

​

Not even sure where to begin. Trying to contact penndot for help but no one is answering.

​

I ordered a camera card for my license about 2 weeks ago and still have not received it. Paid $40 or whatever.

​

What should I Do?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SnooRevelations9889 t1_iwgfd92 wrote

Call a mechanic. They'll know, and won't charge you for the answer.

discogeek t1_iwggy3h wrote

If you never got a NJ license and your PA one is less than 30 days, you can try to renew online. You'll get a temp card you print out and carry with you until you get the new camera card and go to your PennDOT office to get the actual card.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Licensing/Pages/Renewal.aspx

If you got a NJ license then your PA one would have been invalidated; you can still try online but they might request additional information and/or you might have to go take the vision test and all again. In any case, they'll tell you when you try online.

And your DL number will stick with you for your entire life, the one on your expired card is the one you use. It'll be that number on your updated DL too, they stick with individuals for life, you're never assigned a new one.

Kind of the same with your car. You're supposed to transfer it after you move (I don't know the timeframe for NJ) but if you didn't then you'd still be on the list for Pennsylvania. Again, I'd try renewing online and see if that does it. Transferring a car across state lines is more difficult than a DL and you'll probably have to pay transfer tax / get a notary / other kinds of painful stuff.

discogeek t1_iwgh7om wrote

I also just noticed you said you already ordered the camera card from PA. If you did it through the mail you'll be waiting a few weeks if it's just been two. I'd call your state rep and ask them if they're able to expedite its delivery; they often can speed things up if you ask.

Otherwise, if you're doing it through the mail, 6 weeks is about average.

PlaneTry4277 OP t1_iwgnv8p wrote

Wow that's awful. Why the hell is it advertised 7-10 business days for the camera card?

The license plate was valid till 2021 from NJ, still have the original PA plate from 2017.

​

Can I just go into a penndot and get my license taken care of? I cannot wait 4 more weeks, it expired late october and I have shit to do. (gotta get my car situation taken care of)

festerwl t1_iwha0m0 wrote

If you visit a PA DMV you don't actually need a camera card to renew your license. You'll wait in line for a card, pay $10, then wait in line for a pic.

Plate is a maybe. Depends if the number has been reissued. Easiest way would be to hit a vehicle notary service or car dealer and have them try to renew it for you. Otherwise they'll just issue you a new plate.

internetonsetadd t1_iwjkjhu wrote

Take your temp license and old license to a Driver License Center (not a Photo Center) and tell them you didn't receive a camera card. Maybe bring some extra ID just to be safe. I didn't need it. You wait in one queue to get the camera card issue processed and then get inserted into the photo queue to get a new license.

For the vehicle registration, try to renew online with the plate number you have and see what happens.