Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Wuz314159 t1_iynv8uy wrote

Side note: I saw a Pontiac Fiero with Antique plates the other week and died a little.

festerwl t1_iyo1ky9 wrote

To make you feel really old. Anything before 1997 could get an antique plate.

Few-Table1757 t1_iyooryh wrote

You can do the antique title and registration right away.

Zelkyy t1_iypiqyp wrote

Seems legit , pappy truck ftw

Ford_fixer t1_iypetfg wrote

You realize that there's a mileage restriction of 1,200 miles a year iirc, and trucks with antique plates are not permitted to tow/ haul anything in the bed.

aust_b OP t1_iypez0n wrote

That is specified nowhere on the FAQ on penndot’s website. Can always revert it back, it’s a project truck but 95% road worthy

Quoted from the site:

“No person may operate a vehicle with antique or classic registration plates for commercial purposes or for general daily transportation. Permitted use is limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar uses, and for occasional transportation.”

Ford_fixer t1_iypg6tj wrote

No, an antique title cannot be changed back either once branded. Please confirm as it's been a couple years since I've bought and plated an antique as I have a number of them. I know that they dropped the "4 picture" requirement a number of users ago which was a hurdle to cross for many to get the plates. Maybe I'm confusing the restrictions with those of my antique vehicle insurance, but the restrictions are listed on the Application forms available online at Penndot. I have branded my titles antique at purchase multiple times so you are good there. A cool thing that many don't know is that PA has a 'year of make plate ' program where you can register a vintage plate (that you provide on your own) to your car. ie, I have a 1931 PA plate on my '31 Model A hotrod, a 1958 PA plate on my '58 Plymouth... pretty cool. Ya just have to locate a year-correct plate in good condition...

aust_b OP t1_iypgezd wrote

I think you are confused on what the term “antique” is classified. The super old vehicles pre 1976 are a different class, antique in this case is 25 years old or more. Vintage plate class is the class that you are describing. The truck I’m buying is a 1994, just can’t use it as a primary driver and essentially is legally limited to once per week of driving by how the law is written, but it’s a grey area hot mess. With my insurance I can just put it down as a “pleasure vehicle”, which is lower than 5k miles per year.

Ford_fixer t1_iyphx6f wrote

No, not confused. "Antique" and "classic" are title branding. "Vintage plate" is the year-of-make plate I described. If you get your truck titled as antique, they will provide an antique plate. The vintage plate if you want to display a 1994 plate on the 1994 truck is $84 additional and you provide the vintage plate.

aust_b OP t1_iypiarh wrote

Yeah I’m not doing that, but you make it seem like there are these life and death restrictions lol. It’s going to get driven not that much, I have a modern daily driver. This truck is literally going to be my fun collectible project truck. Maybe I’ll go to Lowe’s with it to pickup stuff, guess I’ll get it impounded.

Ford_fixer t1_iypivxw wrote

You do what you want with it, I'm just trying to inform you of what PA law reads. I'm not saying that I don't use my '47 Ford flatbed truck with antique plates to haul vintage tractors to local shows too, but it's not conforming to PA law and I know I can be cited. Will I be? Not likely, I've never been pulled over in my antique vehicles in 20 yrs of running them. I'm just trying to help you as it doesn't sound like you've read the MV forms for Antique vehicle use - not the random FAQ shit at the front door of the site.

aust_b OP t1_iypj8ak wrote

I’m reading the website and forms too. It’s full of grey areas and it literally can be interpreted multiple ways. I’d totally understand the concern if I was using the antique registration process to use as a daily driver, but it’s literally a pappy truck project for occasional use.

Ford_fixer t1_iypkcyx wrote

No sweat. Good luck with it bud. My last thought of help: Please don't expect local notaries and such to know antique/vintage rules and forms. I have found it best after years of dealing with them that you print off the forms you need from the site beforehand and fill them all out except for the final signature...

Ford_fixer t1_iypibtq wrote

Again, I haven't done it since 2018 when I bought the '58 Plymouth, so itay have changed. I just don't want to see you get an antique plate without understanding that there are restrictions on driving the vehicle once you do that.

Ford_fixer t1_iyph9gn wrote

USE OF ANTIQUE, CLASSIC AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic, vintage, collectible or historic military vehicle registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses are defined as no more than one day a week. Antique, Classic, and Vintage registration plates may not be displayed on a vehicle used to transport people or property.

aust_b OP t1_iyphglj wrote

Sounds like the perfect registration for a project pappy truck. That law is so poorly worded you can basically do whatever you want. Is a local cop going to sit and watch my driveway and count how many times i drive it a week?

Ford_fixer t1_iypjtsy wrote

Likely not, but more importantly here is that antique plates are not intended for project vehicles either. That's what the 4 picture requirement used to keep out was rust-buckets and cheapskates trying to avoid car inspection fees with shit boxes that made the cut because they were old. Can you now register these shit boxes as antique and drive em to work everyday? I guess so. Is it right? No. But if the state doesn't care to enforce it and you are hell bent on having your way, go for it. What's another lie or sin these days right? Commonplace.

aust_b OP t1_iypkfb7 wrote

I wouldn’t consider this truck a shitbox necessarily, it just needs some TLC. It’s a leisure vehicle for me, I’ve wanted an OBS ford for years. Hell, I just want to be able to drive it to work once a week and go pickup stuff from a store every once in a while.