Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

aust_b OP t1_iypgezd wrote

I think you are confused on what the term “antique” is classified. The super old vehicles pre 1976 are a different class, antique in this case is 25 years old or more. Vintage plate class is the class that you are describing. The truck I’m buying is a 1994, just can’t use it as a primary driver and essentially is legally limited to once per week of driving by how the law is written, but it’s a grey area hot mess. With my insurance I can just put it down as a “pleasure vehicle”, which is lower than 5k miles per year.

Ford_fixer t1_iyphx6f wrote

No, not confused. "Antique" and "classic" are title branding. "Vintage plate" is the year-of-make plate I described. If you get your truck titled as antique, they will provide an antique plate. The vintage plate if you want to display a 1994 plate on the 1994 truck is $84 additional and you provide the vintage plate.

aust_b OP t1_iypiarh wrote

Yeah I’m not doing that, but you make it seem like there are these life and death restrictions lol. It’s going to get driven not that much, I have a modern daily driver. This truck is literally going to be my fun collectible project truck. Maybe I’ll go to Lowe’s with it to pickup stuff, guess I’ll get it impounded.

Ford_fixer t1_iypivxw wrote

You do what you want with it, I'm just trying to inform you of what PA law reads. I'm not saying that I don't use my '47 Ford flatbed truck with antique plates to haul vintage tractors to local shows too, but it's not conforming to PA law and I know I can be cited. Will I be? Not likely, I've never been pulled over in my antique vehicles in 20 yrs of running them. I'm just trying to help you as it doesn't sound like you've read the MV forms for Antique vehicle use - not the random FAQ shit at the front door of the site.

aust_b OP t1_iypj8ak wrote

I’m reading the website and forms too. It’s full of grey areas and it literally can be interpreted multiple ways. I’d totally understand the concern if I was using the antique registration process to use as a daily driver, but it’s literally a pappy truck project for occasional use.

Ford_fixer t1_iypkcyx wrote

No sweat. Good luck with it bud. My last thought of help: Please don't expect local notaries and such to know antique/vintage rules and forms. I have found it best after years of dealing with them that you print off the forms you need from the site beforehand and fill them all out except for the final signature...

Ford_fixer t1_iypibtq wrote

Again, I haven't done it since 2018 when I bought the '58 Plymouth, so itay have changed. I just don't want to see you get an antique plate without understanding that there are restrictions on driving the vehicle once you do that.